Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

49 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

What I do not get is the sense that once the bad pattern sets in it's all over as in it will not correct to a better pattern in the future. Unless there is something about the upcoming pattern that historically sticks for months?

Great point.  I think the observation thus far is that models tend to go warm on us the closer we get to a particular time period when initially progged as cold and promising.  Hence the pessimism and thinking that more of the same will continue.  The warmth feels like the default pattern this winter. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

We have scored 3 accumulating snowfalls to date, so while this winter has shown it's hand, we should expect at least 1 more window. While the pack is definitely bad, it's nowhere near as bad as 11/12 was. You did a great job recognizing the overall background state.

The accumulations have been laughable down my way. Not sure we have  cleared 2 inches yet in any event, and a couple didn't clear an inch....at this point a 4 inch storm would be a major deal in these parts..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

It’s still early

It really isn't early at this point. But there is some decent time left, however not unless there is a pattern change. In this pattern those of us near the coast are just not gonna see much. My rule of thumb over the years is to ignore any "storm" that is forecast at 1-3, because it is so negligible. My yard is already back to brown, or rather a dull green...

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

The accumulations have been laughable down my way. Not sure we have  cleared 2 inches yet in any event, and a couple didn't clear an inch....at this point a 4 inch storm would be a major deal in these parts..

Yesterday was my biggest storm 

1.6 inches

4 minutes ago, Mersky said:

Did the groundhog you saw on Friday tell you this??? 

1 minute ago, Mersky said:

There are still 8 weeks to score a decent snowstorm in these parts. Maybe a one and done winter but posts about birds singing and groundhogs appearing in January are pure troll posts by the usual troll on here. 

You can bark at each other in the new thread or preferably via PM.  

Just now, JustinRP37 said:

How is it still early? Over halfway through met winter and rapidly approaching 2/3rds over. We are behind big time. Can we force overtime (March) and get AN snow? Possibly but teleconnections don’t look good 

Snowiest time of the year is January 20th to February 28th

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

Snowiest time of the year is January 20th to February 28th

You don’t have to tell me that it’s statistics. But look at the stats for winters with stats similar to where we are now. I don’t like using analogs but to say everything is going fine is like saying you can fight your own house fire when it has spread to half the house. Sure you might be able to do it, but would I take on that bet? Not likely. 

I would love to have the optimism of you and 88 but at some point we have to take a look and say hmmm this isn’t what the people who said we’d be above normal for snowfall said would happen this far. I gave many examples of why I thought January would be warmer in December and I was nearly laughed off the board. It sucked. I don’t like losing two months of my favorite season but me saying it will make a big comeback won’t make it happen. I said it yesterday that the Mets who routinely predict snowy and cold have been more right than wrong since 2000 not because of their skill but because it HAS been snowier, much more so than normal. It is a conformational bias. Long range forecasting is an imperfect science. Anything over 50% is a good long range forecast. 

That's a hail Mary type of threat late next week.

Very little cold air but the track may not be terrible. Could be good for New England where they have more breathing room. 

+PNA & MJO passing thru 7 likely helps. Afterwards the MJO basically stays in the circle. I'm in favor of it popping out near 8 after Feb 10 with lagged impacts 10-14 days later. 

Early forecasts show it starting that loop as we begin Feb. Should set the stage for a late winter comeback Feb 20 through March. 

2 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

We have scored 3 accumulating snowfalls to date, so while this winter has shown it's hand, we should expect at least 1 more window. While the pack is definitely bad, it's nowhere near as bad as 11/12 was. You did a great job recognizing the overall background state.

Thanks. The good news is we still never had a season that was a complete shoutout. Even in the seasons with the most challenging patterns, we have always found a way to get at least some snow. You wonder how bad the pattern would have to be for NYC to finish with just a T or 0. I think Philly came close in 72-73 with a T. But NYC always had at least some accumulation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Give me one 12" storm and I'll be sated. @CPcantmeasuresnow is already covered on that front. 

What did you guys end up with from the early December storm? I thought I remember @IrishRob17 and @snywx saying they had over a foot from that? On the other side of the river where you guys are it was that much less?

3 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

What did you guys end up with from the early December storm? I thought I remember @IrishRob17 and @snywx saying they had over a foot from that? On the other side of the river where you guys are it was that much less?

We had lots of non-snow precip here. I wound up with about 7" of snow, sleet, and grauple, packed down by the interspersed periods of rain. Depth never exceeded 6", although it did stick around for weeks on account of the high density and cold pattern.

Funny how March was the snowiest month of the season for 4 out of the 5 last years in NYC. This is more typical for the Rockies and Plains than NYC. Will February be able to score a victory over March this year? Maybe the extra day in February this year can grab some snow away from what would have normally been March 1st.

Monthly Total Snowfall for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Year
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
Season
2014-2015 0.0 0.2 1.0 16.9 13.6 18.6 0.0 50.3
2015-2016 0.0 0.0 T 27.9 4.0 0.9 T 32.8
2016-2017 0.0 T 3.2 7.9 9.4 9.7 0.0 30.2
2017-2018 0.0 T 7.7 11.2 4.9 11.6 5.5 40.9
2018-2019 0.0 6.4 T 1.1 2.6 10.4 0.0 20.5
2019-2020 0.0 0.0 2.5 2.3 M M M 4.8

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Another rathe ugly eps run. As the vortex sits in ak with a ridge near Hudson Bay. Canada is really flooded with above normal pac air. The ridge from Hawaii is into the west coast. This look is locked on the eps all the way into the first week of February. 

Weeklies will be interesting tomorrow