Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

5 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Read about what I posted on the MJO. Even phase 8 does not signal cold weather is imminent! It is only significantly correlated with increased storminess. That could still mean rain, or snow to rain. 

This is your typical 500mb response to p8 in Feb.

It`s all you can ask for.

It does not have to guarantee snow, nothing does ,  but if you want a favorable 500 in Feb you want p8

Image result for mjo phase 8 in february

11 minutes ago, PB-99 said:

This is your typical 500mb response to p8 in Feb.

It`s all you can ask for.

It does not have to guarantee snow, nothing does ,  but if you want a favorable 500 in Feb you want p8

Image result for mjo phase 8 in february

I always enjoy your posts. The LR doesn’t look great on the GFS but there is still cold in between storms. What do you think are the chances one of those storms gives us significant snow?

6 minutes ago, mattinpa said:

I always enjoy your posts. The LR doesn’t look great on the GFS but there is still cold in between storms. What do you think are the chances one of those storms gives us significant snow?

The GEM and GEFS keep this alive.

However all the LR guidance has been terrible so I would really wait this year for the surfaces to respond and be close to being believable.

But significant, I would hold off on that for now. 

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_33.png

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-conus-mslp_with_low_locs-0061600  JAN 17 GEFS.png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PB-99 said:

He was only speaking about the MJO going into p8. Most here didn`t think it would go there, but you have the guidance, Timmy and Tom agreeing that we prob go into p8.

Can`t just stick that aside.

It`s not always about snow. 

If we end up with less than 20" of seasonal snowfall it will be looked at as a bad winter regardless of how cold it gets- thats why we have bad memories of the 80s.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

No cold air.   (road trip to Maine?)

Did you bother to look at the surface map ? 

It`s in the 20`s in NYC at hour 216 

At 222 it`s plus 1 at 850 and - 1 at 925

This just went from a low to Chicago to one off the Delmarva with 8 days to go.

I would keep an eye on it, it`s different than what this was doing yesterday 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

The mjo the last two years has been incredibly  frustrating. All we do well with it is amplitude in the warm phases. And when we do get favorable phases (ex feb 2019 and January 2020) we don’t get the response we are expecting. For some reason the mjo in cold phases during November has worked better lol.

Admittedly, I didn’t see how bad the pv was going to hurt us this winter. Once it continued to strengthen and couple with the atmosphere it was lights out. 

The expansion of the WP warm pool has been favoring the warmer MJO phases.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The expansion of the WP warm pool has been favoring the warmer MJO phases.

Indeed. One can see the modeled tropical forcing returning to those spatial domains in February, which will play a role in the developing February regime as delineated in my update post.

• Like 1

Just now, Brian5671 said:

on the canadian?  No it's in the 40's

gem_T2m_neus_37.png

Why are you posting GFS surface temps with a different evolution Euro, are you high ?

You posted no cold air, while the O line on the Euro is into NNJ and temps are in the mid 20`s in the HV LOL

Oh Brian 

Just now, PB-99 said:

Why are you posting GFS surface temps with a different evolution Euro, are you high ?

You posted no cold air, while the O line on the Euro is into NNJ and temps are in the mid 20`s in the HV LOL

Oh Brian 

that "cold air" is rain back to JB and some ZR/Sleet in the Hudson Valley.      Better than yesterday too, but pattern still not anything to get excited about

6 minutes ago, PB-99 said:

Worse than that you bull$%RT^Y&U*I and got caught 

LOL.   I did think you were talking CMC and not Euro.  My Bad, but that's not an arctic airmass (outside of ME/NH/VT and even that is retreating) and the overall pattern sucks and does not look to be changing. It's like last year but only warmer...  I hope we get something in Feb, but I won't bet the ranch on it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

LOL.   I did think you were talking CMC and not Euro.  My Bad, but that's not an arctic airmass and the overall pattern sucks and does not look to be changing. It's like last year but only warmer...  I hope we get something in Feb, but I won't bet the ranch on it.

I was only pointing out the correction it made from Chicago 2 days ago to off the Delmarva.