Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

2 hours ago, BlizzardNYC said:

I don’t know about anyone else, but the pattern has been lock in since early December, and I don’t expect a snowy forecast to prevail. My reasoning is as follows. We have had less than a nickel and dime event in early / mid November. We have since warmed early dec through January. We now face record warmth in early to mid January. Looking at the long range it appears you can not trust anything past D5 and the models look warm through-out with a front end thump followed by rain. Listen  I love snow but the writing is on the wall and it’s happening n durning solar minimum.

Simplistic, but valid points

cold or warm, the pattern isnt there for the NYC metro to get snow. It has been like that for a year.

My parents live in Whitestone. They have not had any appreciable snow on the ground that lasted more than a day or two coming up on 2 years

Last year, even the November storm was gone in less than 24 hours. They had a light accumulation in March that stuck around for a few days

Lost in snow totals that get washed away, is the fact that most of NYC has not had prolonged snow cover since March 2018.

That is a terrible pattern. And it shows no signs of changing

• Confused 2

17 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

cold or warm, the pattern isnt there for the NYC metro to get snow. It has been like that for a year.

My parents live in Whitestone. They have not had any appreciable snow on the ground that lasted more than a day or two coming up on 2 years

Last year, even the November storm was gone in less than 24 hours. They had a light accumulation in March that stuck around for a few days

Lost in snow totals that get washed away, is the fact that most of NYC has not had prolonged snow cover since March 2018.

This is hyperbolic - you’re essentially griping about 4 consecutive winter months  - Dec-Feb last hear and Dec this year without sustained snow cover.

Do you realize how many times such a stretch has occurred in NYC in its history?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, danstorm said:

This is hyperbolic - you’re essentially griping about 4 consecutive winter months  - Dec-Feb last hear and Dec this year without sustained snow cover.

Do you realize how many times such a stretch has occurred in NYC in its history?

I do....saw a lot of them. Never with this much warmth and so sustained though. 80's were paltry, but not this warm.70's weren't great either. And neither were most of the 90's. We've had a good run from 2001-2016, with a few lean years in there. Been meh ever since for a lot of us. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I do....saw a lot of them. Never with this much warmth and so sustained though. 80's were paltry, but not this warm.70's weren't great either. And neither were most of the 90's. We've had a good run from 2001-2016, with a few lean years in there. Been meh ever since for a lot of us. 

It's only been 1 winter and 1 month that has been awful after many good years in a row.

At least in terms of referring to snowfall but personally I don't mind the warmth that much, I really care mainly about snow amounts rather than sustained cold (it's fairly rare to have a sustained snowpack at the coast anyway)

2 hours ago, jfklganyc said:

No sign of changing ? What are you looking at ?

• Like 1

The next 8 days are still averaging 42degs., or 10degs. AN. (used 68/42 for today)

Month to date is  +8.7[41.5].        Should be +9.2[42.0] by the 20th.

62* here at 6am.     63* by 9am.   64* by 11am.  65* at Noon.      66* at 1pm.       This was the peak, lasted to 3pm.      61* at 5pm.    56* by 8pm.

All models have a little snow on the 18th.----'SnOw What'     CMC probably coldest for next 10 days.   EURO loaded with 50's.(+7 for next 10 days)   GFS: who cares.(it is -2 on  the next 17 days giving the month a +2.2 by the 29th.)

The first 21 days of the calendar winter  have averaged +8.7, with just one BN day.      Who predicted that would be the case.    Not I.

At any rate here is the next 16 days, averaged out.     Worth the wait?     Who knows.

2020011200_054@007_E1_knyc_I_NAEFS@EPSGR

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

6 hours ago, HVSnowLover said:

It's only been 1 winter and 1 month that has been awful after many good years in a row.

At least in terms of referring to snowfall but personally I don't mind the warmth that much, I really care mainly about snow amounts rather than sustained cold (it's fairly rare to have a sustained snowpack at the coast anyway)

Snowfall has been unimpressive since 2016 IMBY. Many of the other storms since were misses out here, some by quite a lot.

3 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I don't think so Ant. The super warm temps have got everyone pessimistic. Get us some cold and a few inches, even after a front end dump that turns to rain, and people will fell better about things.

We all miss the winters from the early to mid 2000s.

But canceling winter on Jan 12 is foolish considering what the ensembles are showing moving forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

We all miss the winters from the early to mid 2000s.

But canceling winter on Jan 12 is foolish considering what the ensembles are showing moving forward.

I have mentioned this to you before. Ignore some of these posts and don't reply, they do it to get a rise out of people and derail the forum and you fall for it every single time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Rtd208 said:

I have mentioned this to you before. Ignore some of these posts and don't reply, they do it to get a rise out of people and derail the forum and you fall for it every single time.

Yes but it's annoying seeing it over and over again every single winter .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1