Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

9 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Amen, we've only had an inch at a time this winter so a few inches would be like a HECS.  LOL.    Currently partly sunny here and 62.   We've had colder days in April!

I think you  mean we've had colder days in June.

The average high temperature doesn't even reach 70 in NYC until May 11.

1 hour ago, frd said:

And, as as Don stated yesterday,  that higher amplified state in 7 increases the odds of snowfall in the East towards the end of Jan. 

bluewave,  any thoughts on the developing NAO domain block we are seeing in the GFS and the Euro ?

Do you believe it will indeed be transient in nature and then giving way to the more pronounced - EPO  ?

I know Isotherm thought if we were going to get any significant pv disruptions and  a -NAO it would be later in the winter. Wondering the implications for Feb and even March and what happens too with the NAM state.     

We can always get a transient -NAO from a wave breaking event. But more lasting -NAO episodes are usually associated with MJO phase 8 and SSW’s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I think you  mean we've had colder days in June.

The average high temperature doesn't even reach 70 in NYC until May 11.

It's shocking and I see there are violent storms that could be triggered south of us. People talk about the dangers of snowstorms, but these winter warmups tend to have their own problems. We'll see.

30 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

These systems rarely deliver much snow to us, a few inches that gets washed away in a hurry. 

agreed - unless we get some more blocking and the system redevelops to our south - more then likely light event - after that the jury is sill out as again the MJO is shown to go into the COD and is pointed to exit into the warmer phases in a few weeks

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, NEG NAO said:

agreed - unless we get some more blocking and the system redevelops to our south - more then likely light event - after that the jury is sill out as again the MJO is shown to go into the COD and is pointed to exit into the warmer phases in a few weeks

I'm not expecting much. Strictly anecdotal, but good winters ( well, most would consider this a "good" winter so far, due to mild temps ) in my experience usually show an early signal with a cold, icy or snowy Dec. Likewise, dud winters usually follow snowless or mild Dec. But we can still sneak in a good storm, like Jan 2016. That said, I have been following PB's analysis and I give him great weight, so hope he is right.

5 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

I highly doubt it just drops into the cod like that. I can however see a muted trip through 8 1 2.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

I highly doubt it just drops into the cod like that. I can however see a muted trip through 8 1 2.

I’m not sure how many time it needs to be said that the rmm plots have a bias for cod at the end. Yet, he continues to rip and read them while they correct in front of him. This will be going 7-8-1-2. Yes, it will probably be muted in the colder phases as it’s not going to have strong amplitude like the warm phases. 

Even if that plot was to be correct, it would be bias cold because the mjo wave is closer to the cold phases.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I'm not expecting much. Strictly anecdotal, but good winters ( well, most would consider this a "good" winter so far, due to mild temps ) in my experience usually show an early signal with a cold, icy or snowy Dec. Likewise, dud winters usually follow snowless or mild Dec. But we can still sneak in a good storm, like Jan 2016. That said, I have been following PB's analysis and I give him great weight, so hope he is right.

All we can say is the pattern looks to improve after the 20th. I get it, you can’t shovel potential! We very could score a nice storm or continue the bad luck. For us to get a storm we need a better pattern so we have that.

16 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

I’m not sure how many time it needs to be said that the rmm plots have a bias for cod at the end. Yet, he continues to rip and read them while they correct in front of him. This will be going 7-8-1-2. Yes, it will probably be muted in the colder phases as it’s not going to have strong amplitude like the warm phases. 

Even if that plot was to be correct, it would be bias cold because the mjo wave is closer to the cold phases.

Time will tell - now you have committed to 7-8-1-2 - lets see how long it takes to find a reliable plot that shows that - lets see how long it takes for the models to come around and start showing a more suppressed storm track in the medium range after day 5  - NAO is still showing no signs of going negative anytime soon -same with the AO

nao.sprd2.gifao.sprd2.gif

• Confused 1

This was the 6th year that Newark made it to 70 degrees in January. It was the 4th time since 1998.

A62C7653-9D6A-4716-9DA6-D4000CA91AFA.png.5e8d3043aa8032b3a08b697dfe66c8c5.png

Time Series Summary for NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP, NJ - Month of Jan
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
1 1950 74 0
2 2007 72 0
3 2002 70 0
- 1998 70 0
- 1932 70 0
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

Time will tell - now you have committed to 7-8-1-2 - lets see how long it takes to find a reliable plot that shows that - lets see how long it takes for the models to come around and start showing a more suppressed storm track in the medium range after day 5  - NAO is still showing no signs of going negative anytime soon -same with the AO

nao.sprd2.gifao.sprd2.gif

I have provided proof with the roundy plots which you fail to acknowledge. I also have the ensembles all agreeing on a pattern change. Those plots you posted are off the GEFS and only going out to jan 16. So if the pattern is supposed to flip after the 20th what do they prove? 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

MJO has also been correcting longer and stronger into 7 and now 8....Interesting piece on the bias to the COD at the end of the run I never knew that

• Like 2

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

A cool 60 out here with the January sea breeze. Wish I was in the city and NJ in the 70s

I'm in NJ and it has gotten cloudy and quite windy, not really a nice day just warm....people outside doing stuff but it's just to get a break. It was sunny briefly but that's gone. 

The 68 at POU is only 2 off their all-time January high of 70 in 2007.

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/meteogram/link.shtml?choice=Kpou

Time Series Summary for Poughkeepsie Area, NY (ThreadEx) - Month of Jan
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2007 70 0
2 1932 69 2
3 1950 68 0
4 1937 67 0
5 2016 65 0

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Euro has been playing catchup  with the mjo