Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

36 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

The 17/18 threat has always had that overrunning look to it. The storm will cut west as the pac is still reshuffling, we just need to have a cold High pressure in front of it. 

This is what I am talking about when I post overrunning. You have the first cutter acting as a transient 50/50, a cold high 1032, and moisture overrunning the cold air. This is definitely the first legit threat for our area next weekend.

080ADCB5-90C2-4E1C-993F-A1E1739D755A.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Looks like both weekend days will have record highs and a chance at 70 on Sunday with the sun coming out?  Lows will be in the mid 50s lol, bug city.

Remember the severe wx warning we had back in Jan 96 about two weeks after the blizzard?  I think that was the last time we had dew points in the 60s in January?

Even Long Island can get into the record warmth with the flow becoming more westerly behind the Sunday morning squall potential.

83E26C00-8178-4F4D-8EAD-72CB2F70C0B8.gif.0a672068a2ab1e6829408cfc76038a6c.gif

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Even Long Island can get into the record warmth with the flow becoming more westerly behind the Sunday morning squall potential.

83E26C00-8178-4F4D-8EAD-72CB2F70C0B8.gif.0a672068a2ab1e6829408cfc76038a6c.gif

Chris, do you think we have a chance at severe weather?  Perhaps even a tornado?  Long Island has a history of morning severe wx events.

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I'd be shocked if temps didn't overperform this weekend. 

If there's breaks in the cloud cover then we'll see 70s.

Planned out a nice 270 mile road trip for this weekend. If only there were some car shows I could participate in January.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I can clearly see a way we quickly exit the workable pattern and return to the late Dec->mid Jan look. Base states almost always find a way to gain their grip back.

There wouldn’t be a worse scenario, if we go back into 4/5 in early-mid February, it’ll be time to start thinking about next winter

• Like 2

Just now, snowman19 said:

There wouldn’t be a worse scenario, if we go back into 4/5 in early-mid February, it’ll be time to start thinking about next winter

Looks like we will spend most of the first half of February in the colder phases. Paul roundy site has us in p2 around mid February. After that it will depend on any Strat help or other factors. The euro has a bias on going cod at the end of those rmm plots. This will not be going cod p4/5. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And I get it, most of you won’t be convinced a colder/potentially snowier pattern is coming until your under a winter storm warning with a defo over head. I see no reason why a colder pattern won’t take over at the end of January into the first half of February. I would more then welcome a early start to spring if the mjo returns to the warm phases after a few snowstorms. 

until then, enjoy the record warmth! Tomorrow is going to be beautiful 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Looks like we will spend most of the first half of February in the colder phases. Paul roundy site has us in p2 around mid February. After that it will depend on any Strat help or other factors. The euro has a bias on going cod at the end of those rmm plots. This will not be going cod p4/5. 

So you are looking at a Jan 20 - Feb 20 period now. 

EN4RXYNVAAApGD0.png

You are seeing the same flip you saw Jan 20 - Feb 20 1978 /  and Jan 20 - Feb 20 2003 

11 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

what hard  evidence do you have to support that theory ?

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, PB-99 said:

That would make it about the 3rd time this month before correcting back around.

It has wanted to do this over the last 10 days. 

910CA270-18B9-4AA0-9EED-8EA2966A4C38.gif

DC325C56-CFC5-4269-9545-21A066E30041.gif.99fa28544ff98e7c5aa5ece3d1994d0b.gif

EMON_phase_MANOM_51m_full.gif.3e6f2909f872fdaafc8a373cada5bda2.gif

EMON_phase_MANOM_51m_full.gif

@NEG NAO the Euro has been looping members back since early JAN only to correct.

Here is the newest Euro.

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

Which is still correcting to the CFS which has been in lock step with the Roundy Plots

CFSO_phase_full.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

what hard  evidence do you have to support that theory ?

Mjo progression, the warm waters by the dateline, and the amplitude of the mjo wave. I also have support from the eps,GEFS, and Geps. 

Other then ripping and reading the rmm plots, what hard evidence do you have? 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Mjo progression, the warm waters by the dateline, and the amplitude of the mjo wave. I also have support from the eps,GEFS, and Geps. 

Other then ripping and reading the rmm plots, what hard evidence do you have? 

IMO I still think going into the COD then going towards 4/5 as some are showing  as a real possibility - I also believe in patterns repeating themselves with still the possibility of being in the same warm phases in the middle of next month - not sold on going into phase 2 yet …

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

IMO I still think going into the COD then going towards 4/5 as some are showing  as a real possibility - I also believe in patterns repeating themselves with still the possibility of being in the same warm phases in the middle of next month - not sold on going into phase 2 yet …

Those same plots had it looping back into cod after p4 a week ago. I wouldn’t bank a forecast on those long range rmm plots. Even as is, that plot shows some members going around the horn. Either way good luck with your forecast. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Those same plots had it looping back into cod after p4 a week ago. I wouldn’t bank a forecast on those long range rmm plots. Even as is, that plot shows some members going around the horn. Either way good luck with your forecast. 

YW - I am not forecasting anything - I believe you have to have an open mind in this situation and consider all the possibilities which in this case are many....I do belive in the shorter term we will have possibilities of snowstorms going forward but I didn't like that cutter look that has appeared on the 12Z GFS

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_53.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

The same plots never had you getting out of p5 - 10 days ago.

It`s clearly wrong again. 

EMON_phase_MANOM_51m_full.gif.3e6f2909f872fdaafc8a373cada5bda2.gif

6 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

YW - I am not forecasting anything - I believe you have to have an open mind in this situation and consider all the possibilities which in this case are many....I do belive in the shorter term we will have possibilities of snowstorms going forward but I didn't like that cutter look that has appeared on the 12Z GFS

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_53.png

Next weekend the pac is still reshuffling which is going to allow for another cutter. If we can place a nice high pressure beforehand we can get a front end thump. ( euro and gfs show this)It’s after the 18th that the pattern really improves. I wouldn’t rip and read the long range op gfs as it is going to look completely diff at 18z. I agree, you can’t have biases when it comes to weather. If the pattern going forward looked unfavorable I would be the first one the tell you. 

17 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Euro has been doing this all winter and has been wrong. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Next weekend the pac is still reshuffling which is going to allow for another cutter. If we can place a nice high pressure beforehand we can get a front end thump. ( euro and gfs show this)It’s after the 18th that the pattern really improves. I wouldn’t rip and read the long range op gfs as it is going to look completely diff at 18z. I agree, you can’t have biases when it comes to weather. If the pattern going forward looked unfavorable I would be the first one the tell you. 

We’ll know the storm track has improved when we get an amped system with no P-Type issues. That’s what we have been waiting for. People at the coast will be happy when they get all snow from start to finish.

• Like 1