Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New Year Storm Thread 12/29-01/01

dryslot

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

A weenie +10C spec at 810mb sitting over -6C at 840mb. It almost looks like a velocity couplet.

image.png

I know it’s ridic 

there is a larger sort of synergistic argument tied into the expanded HC ( dreaded GW) and the increasing winter time gradients perhaps favoring that sort extreme variance Scenarios. 

No takers? 

heh. Yeah we seen that before those crazy backward sloped  sounding but this is probably among the most severe I’ve seen that regardless of what it really plugs into causally 

But yeah that’s exactly what I mean it seems like it is a faux artifice of the models doing mass balancing or something. That couplet’s no accident if ask me <_< and underscores the effect 

I don’t know the thing I don’t like about those freezing rain products is that regional icing events tend to be more normalized mass accretion everywhere than all that cutesy mottling that’s down to town sqr sizing 

What’s with all that blotching like that ... it’s not gonna be like .63 of ice two pixels to the left of .23 like that that’s bullshit

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don’t know the thing I don’t like about those freezing rain products is that regional icing events tend to be more normalized mass accretion everywhere than all that cutesy mottling that’s down to town sqr sizing 

What’s with all that blotching like that ... it’s not gonna be like .63 of ice two pixels to the left of .23 like that that’s bullshit

It's obviously just pixel-averaged values.  And in this case basically a pixel-averaging of topography.  We all know the winter weather graphical products are very misleading yet people keep posting them.

53 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I don't get the aversion to clown maps in a weather forum. If you don't know their limitations by now then its on you.

I hit them.  But I don’t think they’ve added any forecasting expertise.  They identify trends but these are pretty obvious without the clowns.   That said....post away.....my opinions are what they are.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Mesos all point towards a decent icing event here.  Fun nowcast event incoming.   Don't really want to lose power but should be an interesting wintery end to a fun December out this way. 

Hopefully not as much as forecast,  you get up in the 1 inch range and it's not just power you have to worry about 

14 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I hit them.  But I don’t think they’ve added any forecasting expertise.  They identify trends but these are pretty obvious without the clowns.   That said....post away.....my opinions are what they are.

One thing you well never see me do is post them on my blog or social media, but in a chat forum? Sure...

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

At least they don't have huge branches.  Trust me, I am not thrilled with this storm, hoping for some really good dynamics wrt to lift and we stay mostly sleet. 

You can rake pine needles year after year on them and never get to the bottom, My blueberry pants love the acid they produce though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

You can rake pine needles year after year on them and never get to the bottom, My blueberry pants love the acid they produce though.

They actually form strong, interlocking root mats so if you have a bunch of white pines the bigger worry is split trunks breaking and falling as opposed to whole trees going over.