Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New Year Storm Thread 12/29-01/01

dryslot

26 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The 18z NAM offers up 0 or < 0 C at every sigma level from 800 mb down to the tarmacs for Logan during the first 12 to 18 hours of this thing.

That's a tick down by some, and it now is even colder than the shaved .5 C Euro at this point.   And if it were not [ probably? ] for an obscenely elevated warm layer, that would be probably 5" of snow in that QPF realization, prior to ZR intrusion. If not, than folks thinking sleet are in for surpriiiiise. I'm also noticing a fairly potent IB signaled in there, too, with 9.2 units of UVM during the front work - not bad!  Before quells into a more middling lift on-going saturation, but by then we are soaring at 800 to 4 or 5+ C so that's sleet and ZR most likely at least to that latitude over eastern zones.

In the interior, this sags by some..how much is now cast-able.  But I would suggest that is also offset by the fact that this is warmer WNW of ORH in this type of synoptic ordeal...with essentially what amounts to a powerful BD advection coming in around a third of the way through, a marginal cold rain/ice/IP situation profiles downward. It's likely IP in ALB while snowing at the east end of the Mohawk Trail for a stint during the band of instability burst. Overall, after brief snow, looks like mid or upper 30s southwest of HFD where cold rain and a few pings, to low 30s/30 down rt 2 with IP and mangled aggies, while it may be heavy IP/noodles at Logan. Then everyone is over to IP NE, as we convert this to a moderate infrastructure ice concern ( more?) as said NE hrust arrives and probably sends a wave of crashing DP /temp deep into CT/RI underneath ongoing WAA way above.  That's what this looks like to me, and even the higher res mesos will under due that fantastic static stability/BL forcing of having a newly fresh polar +PP wedging in like this.  It's just going happen this way I feel. If not... oh well - otherwise consider one's self warned.

I'd say if anything warning would be met near that interface of IP and accretion where fall rates and temperature combine for proficiency.  Where it is snow/IP around Manchester NH, may be high end advisory - until later periods when coastal evolution may enhance a temp CCB in that region up through coastal Maine.... It's tough sending headlines when you got storm acting seamless across different intervals.  Heh... pun intended, it's like "the cloud" storm. 

That real strong pulse that starts on Monday morning into Monday afternoon is pretty interesting. It's very strong...you have the analogy of a BDF...and I think I mentioned the same analogy a couple days ago. It is acting more like a spring time backdoor front rather than a winter CAD setup...except that we're dealing with a wintertime boundary layer with ocean being warmer than land in this case. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That real strong pulse that starts on Monday morning into Monday afternoon is pretty interesting. It's very strong...you have the analogy of a BDF...and I think I mentioned the same analogy a couple days ago. It is acting more like a spring time backdoor front rather than a winter CAD setup...except that we're dealing with a wintertime boundary layer with ocean being warmer than land in this case. 

Is this area safe from the threat of freezing rain? NWS has a low of 32 and 1.5" of rain.

1 minute ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Is this area safe from the threat of freezing rain? NWS has a low of 32 and 1.5" of rain.

I'd keep an eye on it. You aren't out of the woods by any stretch though the better chance is east of you or up in the Litchfield hills. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

18Z Euro increases the freezing rain threat.  I have no idea how accurate these are but here is the Weatherbell freezing rain product.  1" of ice would definately cause huge problems

Untitled.jpg

General rule of thumb is to cut these totals by 1/2. 1:1 rule doesn't apply for QPF:ice totals in most cases.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well as many said, We don’t know how far SW the push will get. 

Yeah it could stop in S ORH county. "Stop" is probably the wrong word...but rather it could moderate enough above freezing by the time it reaches kevin. 

If the euro was showing that 18z solution tomorrow night, I'd forecast ZR for him though. Models are probably going to be too warm at the sfc...the question though is whether we trend warmer for a couple runs before go time. If we got a solution a few degrees warmer by tomorrow night, then the ice maybe only makes it to ORH. 

32 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

not liking my spot for this at all... I'd rather cold rain than another half inch of ice on an inch of snow is like concrete... spots in my driveway are still like an inch of ice, that was nuts

I'd agree. Hope you have a wood stove or something. One plus is afterwards is "warm" and not -10 wind chills. 

My wife is planning to drive (with the kids in the mini van) from Stamford CT to Concord MA on Monday between 5pm and 9 PM. If they were to take 95 to 128, would that allow them to miss the ice threat or is that still a bad time to be on the road?