Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2020

jburns

45 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Hopefully the models will start playing catch up 

It seems like this Christmas storm is a pattern-breaking type of system, so I'm hopeful the models start to adjust as we get closer to the 25th. 

I am keeping an eye out on the potential system on the 28/29th. 12z GFS has our Baja wave finally north enough to interact with the energy propagating in from the Pacific, but we would need it to dig deeper and sharper. 12z CMC and Euro have the energy too far south+ dissipating over the Gulf, resulting in a clipper over the NE. Could be interesting! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BullCityWx said:

I still believe it won’t end up as much but there has been an uptick on the snowfall means today on the GEFS. For example, I’ve gained half an inch from 0z last night to 18z today.

I noticed that the GEFS have slowly risen some... I would be happy if we just had snow showers on Christmas day even if it didn't accumulate....

27 minutes ago, HKY1894 said:

Op gfs long range looks interesting, strong disturbance in southwest that enters in southern Cali, with huge block overhead. This is the look that could lead to big east coast storm.

71169244-ED20-4C5E-B19B-5B0DEA2745A6.png

The OP is insistent on a storm track through the OH valley or Midwest. Nothing close to a snowy pattern shown on the OP

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

The OP is insistent on a storm track through the OH valley or Midwest. Nothing close to a snowy pattern shown on the OP

Yeah, 2nights operational looks terrible. Pops a SE Ridge by New Years ! Don't buy that, particularly with strong blocking setting up. I think it screws up with the L.P. drifting out in the Atlantic east of NC instead of moving NE toward NF .  Also, west coast trough pendulum effect.

• Like 1

I think we have all heard talk of blockbuster snow patterns that haven't worked out the past few years so I'm pretty wary. Especially with so much model disagreement and changing run to run. DT said today the upcoming pattern is the best he has seen since January 1996.. 

47 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I think we have all heard talk of blockbuster snow patterns that haven't worked out the past few years so I'm pretty wary. Especially with so much model disagreement and changing run to run. DT said today the upcoming pattern is the best he has seen since January 1996.. 

well that’s obviously bs. 2009/2010 happened.

• Like 4

GFS still going for that SSW in the long range,the attack begins today or tomorrow with higher solar input.

When and if it occurs you have to watch where that PV sets up .You don't want that getting stuck in central,SW Canada that happened a few years ago and hurt more than helped and I'm talking about down at 100hpa levels.

Just my opinion.

• Like 3

Not much with EURO ensembles for central NC--I hate this.  We shall see this afternoon.  One member (#41)---from 00Z December 20----the most I saw from the 50 members.  Most of the others show very little.  This #41 will skew the ensemble averages.  https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/north-carolina/m50_snow-depth-in/20201227-0600z.html.  

Euroemsemble.JPG