• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2020

jburns

This is fun. Any trough this strong and sharp is worthy of scrutiny! That being said, the globals are starting to converge on an axis extending from Nashville-ish northward to have the best shot of noteworthy snow. If you're east of the apps, its about time to see some ensemble members show big hits to think that you're in the mix for a noteworthy event. If the trough wants to tilt negative as the trends today pointed to- I don't think the trough orientation is quite in our favor, and likely favors an inland low track. 

Some optimism- It's a ton of energy- I wouldn't shut the door on a weak clipper system or some flurries as the base of the trough passes. 

Just now, ILMRoss said:

This is fun. Any trough this strong and sharp is worthy of scrutiny! That being said, the globals are starting to converge on an axis extending from Nashville-ish northward to have the best shot of noteworthy snow. If you're east of the apps, its about time to see some ensemble members show big hits to think that you're in the mix for a noteworthy event. If the trough wants to tilt negative as the trends today pointed to- I don't think the trough orientation is quite in our favor, and likely favors an inland low track. 

Some optimism- It's a ton of energy- I wouldn't shut the door on a weak clipper system or some flurries as the base of the trough passes. 

I think that’s my hope, the clipper. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jjwxman said:

That is also PTI’s coldest Christmas on record. That was a very cold stretch. The 24th, 25th and 26th morning low records still stand. 5dc4b413486af29ea16c6a25882e8320.jpg

Looking back at my records the low on the 24th came at 11:45pm, so the low for the 24th and the 25th occurred within 8 hours of each other during the same overnight period.  I recorded a low of -1 on the 24th (PM), -4 on the 25th (AM), and +2 on the 26th.  We had a nice icing event on the 27th with a low of 18 and a high of 29, then there was another cold front that went through on the 29th that resulted in a low of +6 on the 30th and a high of 23.  The following morning (31st) the low was +4. 

Christmas 1983 is in my top 10 weather events I have experienced.  The pictures below are of the Smith River in Eden taken on January 1, 1984  where the Ice was between 7 and 9 inches thick and safe enough to walk across.  

575963556_SmithRiver1983.jpg.066ab7440b711052b5d0da1953801c76.jpg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Tullioz said:

Looking back at my records the low on the 24th came at 11:45pm, so the low for the 24th and the 25th occurred within 8 hours of each other during the same overnight period.  I recorded a low of -1 on the 24th (PM), -4 on the 25th (AM), and +2 on the 26th.  We had a nice icing event on the 27th with a low of 18 and a high of 29, then there was another cold front that went through on the 29th that resulted in a low of +6 on the 30th and a high of 23.  The following morning (31st) the low was +4. 

Christmas 1983 is in my top 10 weather events I have experienced.  The pictures below are of the Smith River in Eden taken on January 1, 1984  where the Ice was between 7 and 9 inches thick and safe enough to walk across.  

575963556_SmithRiver1983.jpg.066ab7440b711052b5d0da1953801c76.jpg

Great information!   I was home from college break that December and parents insisted I work at the lumber yard where I worked summers.  I remember delivering a load of Sheetrock to Cashiers NC and it was 3 below.  Rest of that winter sucked except a little snow in Feb.  Pretty rare low snow winter for the 80s.   Wildest frontal passage I remember was in Jan of 78.  Went to bed at 1000pm.  It was breezy, 68, and tornado watch.   Woke up at 645 and it was 17 at GSP with 1/2” of fine powder whipping around in 50 mph winds.  Another snow squal came through at 830 and temp dropped to 15.   I feel for the younger whimper-snappers that didn’t get to experience the 70s and 80s wild winters in the SE.  However the setup for next week looks interesting and the indices look good today. 

• Like 2

1989 RDUX baby once more in My lifetime...

I was 23~24 then?  It was when My oldest Daughter was "conceived".. 

Christmas Coastal Snowstorm: December 22-24, 1989 (weather.gov)

Temps in the Zeros for Days..

I'm watching that Baha Low..  ;) 

Oh My showing Muh Age..

I still recall awesome snowstorms in the 70's.. 

• Like 1

This was the coldest morning of the cold wave across the interior Southeastern states.  Temperatures in Talladega reached 1 degree, 4 in Birmingham, 6 in Atlanta, 9 in Crestview (Florida), 11 in Pensacola, and 13 in Tallahassee.  It was absolutely brutal in the North Carolina mountains with -18 degrees recorded in Banner Elk, -7 on Grandfather Mountain, and -5 in Blowing Rock.

22 minutes ago, jtgus said:

What is a "blue norther"?

Courtesy of wiki at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Norther_(weather)

"A Blue Norther, also known as a Texas Norther, is a fast moving cold front marked by a rapid drop in temperature, strong winds, and dark blue or "black" skies. The cold front originates from the north, hence the "norther", and can send temperatures plummeting by 20 or 30 degrees in merely minutes."

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Grayman said:

Yes I am afraid so. I think people could see a few flakes flying in Northwest NC but snow with a cold front rarely happens . 

Yep, usually takes either a stationary front to our south with a low sliding along it or a Northeaster off the coast with cold air in place.

You go have to give the GFS points for consistency with measurable snow in north GA including Atlanta -let's just hope the Euro starts trending stronger/slower. The short wave in question is still in the Pacific so until that comes onshore in 36 hours or so we will still not know much. 

• Like 3