Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2020

jburns

On 11/23/2020 at 8:36 AM, BullCityWx said:

We're moving to NW Durham County(edge of the city) and hoping that makes a difference for us. I still remember that event a few years ago where you had snow at your house, I had sleet in Davidson and it was just raining in Huntersville. 

Yup.  Goes to show how thin that r/s line is sometimes.  Always noticed how @NC_hailstorm 's obs always bested mine.  I got too envious so how I have to invade his territory.  :D 

13 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

Had a friend that said Birmingham got some flakes today. MPING has the Atlanta suburbs seeing some flakes. Wouldn’t be surprised some pretty widespread token flake action in the Carolinas tonight but if you want to see it time to get that coffee brewing.

I was starting to anticipate this post.  Temps are plummeting nicely across the foothills.  I imagine some of the Triad viewing area to the northwest will certainly see a few flakes.  But I would be quite surprised to see anything sneak into Winston.

17 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

Had a friend that said Birmingham got some flakes today. MPING has the Atlanta suburbs seeing some flakes. Wouldn’t be surprised some pretty widespread token flake action in the Carolinas tonight but if you want to see it time to get that coffee brewing.

I've thought the same. Noticed a couple times on gfs. Early morning showers possibly a coating. 

Just missed an I-40 winter storm this run on Day 11. It's when our indicies are all mostly peaked in our favor so it's possible it could have legs. -NAO, -AO, -EPO and a neutral PNA. If the indicies keep looking how they've looked, I think it could be our first real shot of the winter, somewhere around the 11-15th of the month. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BullCityWx said:

Just missed an I-40 winter storm this run on Day 11. It's when our indicies are all mostly peaked in our favor so it's possible it could have legs. -NAO, -AO, -EPO and a neutral PNA. If the indicies keep looking how they've looked, I think it could be our first real shot of the winter, somewhere around the 11-15th of the month. 

Brings back memories of just 2 years ago , when we got smacked with 12-18" of snow on December 8-9th I believe it was...

This is definitely interesting heading into the middle and latter part of the month. While NAO/AO/PNA are all forecasted to head towards a more neutral signal towards the middle of December, I'm hoping this could mean the tropospheric polar vortex heads south allowing for more arctic air intrusion towards the second half. 

12z GFS returns our current +PNA/-NAO/-AO scheme at the end of the run, which will likely change but is encouraging nonetheless. 

• Like 3

Euro has had first snow shower potential for two runs in a row now for much of the southern/western piedmont coming up on Tuesday. 

It has the potential to be a cute little appetizer. The upper air temps are there, surface temps are kinda blah. Rates dependent set-up. What’s new?

A lot of things still have to break right. If that shortwave diving in from the lakes comes in further from the rest/digs a little more, there might be some healthier precip. We’ll see. Winter!! We’re back baby!
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

It has the potential to be a cute little appetizer. The upper air temps are there, surface temps are kinda blah. Rates dependent set-up. What’s new?

A lot of things still have to break right. If that shortwave diving in from the lakes comes in further from the rest/digs a little more, there might be some healthier precip. We’ll see. Winter!! We’re back baby!

Here’s to hoping! It’s nice to at least be seasonal. 

• Like 2

18z GFS very  bullish with the moisture over the Carolinas Tuesday.  Definitely wetter.

Too bad the pieces couldn't come together further west. Tries to close off. Would be a classic Miller A.

gfs_z500_vort_us_15.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_17.png

Looking at the soundings for the most part cold and moist enough in the DGZ all the way to about 2500-2000 ft

11 minutes ago, FLweather said:

18z GFS very  bullish with the moisture over the Carolinas Tuesday.  Definitely wetter.

Too bad the pieces couldn't come together further west. Tries to close off. Would be a classic Miller A.

gfs_z500_vort_us_15.png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_17.png

Looking at the soundings for the most part cold and moist enough in the DGZ all the way to about 2500-2000 ft

This is actually very close and has continued to trend wetter/more phasing. It would not take much to make this setup work. It’s also interesting to note that this would be on the anniversary of the last major winter storm for most of the area 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BornAgain13 said:

Also , the 18z EURO has trended stronger with the storm next Monday/Tuesday , shows decent snows for most of Virginia...

Ha, it looks like Hkywx is in mid-season form with his model predictions...he's had a number of good ones over the years.  There are 3 separate shortwaves involved here and the 12z Euro didn't quite phase any of the 3, while this latest 18z runs phases them all together into a cutoff. 

wJcsy6N.gif

Snow map here is thru the 1st half or so of the storm for SW VA and the northern mtns

fEImEa8.png

• Like 3

Looking out in the long range, after this period of +PNA / Western North America ridging, here's a possible path that may give us or the mid-atlantic another storm threat...

1. Western ridge retrogrades west to the west coast or far east Pacific

2. One or 2 storms eject out of the SW on a track from northern NM to NYC in the Dec 12-15 timeframe.  Ideally, the last system along this track would wind up strongly over the Northeast (with some Scandinavia > Greenland ridging kicking in).  Cold air fills in behind.

3. Follow-on system would then kick out of the southern plains into colder air over the SE/mid-Atlantic in the Dec 15-18 timeframe.

4. Post Dec 18, it looks like we may warm up with negative height anomalies settling into Alaska

• Like 3