• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2020

jburns

Not a stellar winter IMBY.  We moved up to Gaston County from upstate in Jan. 2017 and had a 5" snow the first week we were here.  Rest of that winter was terrible for winter weather.  17/18 we had the snow in December and snow and cold in January so it was a good winter.  18/19 we had 5" of snow in Dec. but nothing rest of winter.  This year nada.  However, this year wasn't as bad as 11/12.  That was the worst winter since I started following winter weather in the SE in the mid 70's and believe me, I have seen some sucky winters.  Not even one thing to track.  I should add that we live in N. Gaston County near Lincoln County line.  Of course, it wouldn't matter if I moved to Syracuse, NY, I seem to cause a snow drought wherever I go these days and heaven forbid I post about a potential event :lol:    

It would seem a line of rain/snow showers could make it over the mountains tommorow midday/afternoon, and perhaps a second wave in the evening. Pretty good agreement from the hires models, but probably too warm for anything that does come through to stick. But I know how stingy the mountains are, so probably only light precip, if that.

45 minutes ago, Upstate Tiger said:

Not a stellar winter IMBY.  We moved up to Gaston County from upstate in Jan. 2017 and had a 5" snow the first week we were here.  Rest of that winter was terrible for winter weather.  17/18 we had the snow in December and snow and cold in January so it was a good winter.  18/19 we had 5" of snow in Dec. but nothing rest of winter.  This year nada.  However, this year wasn't as bad as 11/12.  That was the worst winter since I started following winter weather in the SE in the mid 70's and believe me, I have seen some sucky winters.  Not even one thing to track.  I should add that we live in N. Gaston County near Lincoln County line.  Of course, it wouldn't matter if I moved to Syracuse, NY, I seem to cause a snow drought wherever I go these days and heaven forbid I post about a potential event :lol:    

Lol I'll be in Syracuse next week..I'll post pics!

All in all this winter was a C+ or a B- here. Had a big overperformer of 4+" with not even an advisory until 2" was on the ground. Got to see some more fall on 2 different occasions.

On 2/25/2020 at 11:21 PM, Billypg70 said:

There was snow in the Upstate with this system but it was mostly cold rain literally 33 and rain.

I think most of NW SC from Northern GVL, Pickens, & Oconee counties saw a dusting to as much as a foot in the highest peaks along the border.

Just into NC it was a completely different story.

It was a legitimate blizzard.

WLOS has its tower on Mt Pisgah had over 2 feet.

It was an amazing storm in the extreme western sections of WNC.

Of course JAN of 87 & 88 we had 1 foot plus totals at GSP.

The 88 storm was amazingly cold.

As a senior that year we missed around 2 to 3 weeks of school.

When we finally went back there was still snow on the road.

Oh yes the memories of 88

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 hours ago, tarheelwx said:

North GA and SC Upstate in the sweet spot!

TW

Those numbers are wrong in MBY.

N GVL county had probably 5 or 6 inches fall but the BL was so warm it never accumulated to more than a dusting at a time.

Each time it let up,

Which was often it would melt.

It was a few years maybe a little longer that Burger did the average Snow Fall for the majority of areas in the Carolinas,

Maybe Georgia too???

He had GSP at 6.9???

If that number is accurate I don't think we have had more than that since 14.

26 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Robert going all gloom and doom on flooding threat next week! Comparing it to the early Feb , historic flooding! On FB

North Georgia Winter weather prediction on FB is still  predicting a blizzard for March. Goes to show you anybody with a FB account can post a model and predict the weather. They have nothing to back it up. Guess the followers will figure it out eventually lol :whistle:

12 minutes ago, Extreme NEGA said:

North Georgia Winter weather prediction on FB is still  predicting a blizzard for March. Goes to show you anybody with a FB account can post a model and predict the weather. They have nothing to back it up. Guess the followers will figure it out eventually lol :whistle:

That guy is a big :weenie:

he supposedly predicted the 2/8 storm way out, according to him! Good job nostradumass!:maprain:

3 hours ago, jburns said:

I give this winter a solid D-.  I reserve the grade of F exclusively for my least favorite type of winter.  Very cold, very windy but no snow.  The older I get the more I hate that combination.

I give it a solid F. Lack of any real cold. My lowest temp so far has only been 25. And only 1 inch of snow which was gone by morning. Horrible winter. Flowering trees are already blooming here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WeatherHawk said:

Just to note-the largest snows we've had in NC occurred in March and April...

March 13, 1993 and April 2-6, 1987

Not ready to stamp a 'grade' on this winter yet...

I will stamp a 'grade' the first week of April :)

Let's not forget the 1980 blizzard for the eastern third of NC and VA. But I don't see anything like those storms in our future this year.

2 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

I'm the first post in 3 days! Wow, that's sad:o Looks like no more 30s after tomorrow, highs all in the 60 and lows in the upper 40s/50s. Hopefully Spring will not get hot for awhile. Looks like the rainy pattern contiues for the next two weeks though.  

That's a good thing. Keeps the yellow pollen down.

• Like 1