Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2020

jburns

34 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Wow, according to that map I would have been in either the 2-4 or 4-8 in stripe for MBY in the upstate. Caesar's Head would have been in the 8-12. I would have been fairly young but I have no memory of that system. I do seem to have a vague memory of a third big snow in the 87/88 years so maybe that was it? 

40 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Wow, according to that map I would have been in either the 2-4 or 4-8 in stripe for MBY in the upstate. Caesar's Head would have been in the 8-12. I would have been fairly young but I have no memory of that system. I do seem to have a vague memory of a third big snow in the 87/88 years so maybe that was it? 

There was snow in the Upstate with this system but it was mostly cold rain literally 33 and rain.

I think most of NW SC from Northern GVL, Pickens, & Oconee counties saw a dusting to as much as a foot in the highest peaks along the border.

Just into NC it was a completely different story.

It was a legitimate blizzard.

WLOS has its tower on Mt Pisgah had over 2 feet.

It was an amazing storm in the extreme western sections of WNC.

Of course JAN of 87 & 88 we had 1 foot plus totals at GSP.

The 88 storm was amazingly cold.

As a senior that year we missed around 2 to 3 weeks of school.

When we finally went back there was still snow on the road.

• Like 1

50s and 60s starting Sunday will keep the grass growing all the way to the VA border.  I already mowed once last weekend!  So for most of the forum spring is springing, crickets may already be chirping and this winter is in the books.  I saw snow twice and they were both low impact events.  I would rate that a C+ on the type of winter I wanted to see and a solid F on what was forecasted for the triad.

1 hour ago, kvegas-wx said:

50s and 60s starting Sunday will keep the grass growing all the way to the VA border.  I already mowed once last weekend!  So for most of the forum spring is springing, crickets may already be chirping and this winter is in the books.  I saw snow twice and they were both low impact events.  I would rate that a C+ on the type of winter I wanted to see and a solid F on what was forecasted for the triad.

I can't believe I had to cut my grass a week ago, the earliest I ever cut my grass was the end of March, this is crazy.

On 2/25/2020 at 11:21 PM, Billypg70 said:

There was snow in the Upstate with this system but it was mostly cold rain literally 33 and rain.

I think most of NW SC from Northern GVL, Pickens, & Oconee counties saw a dusting to as much as a foot in the highest peaks along the border.

Just into NC it was a completely different story.

It was a legitimate blizzard.

WLOS has its tower on Mt Pisgah had over 2 feet.

It was an amazing storm in the extreme western sections of WNC.

Of course JAN of 87 & 88 we had 1 foot plus totals at GSP.

The 88 storm was amazingly cold.

As a senior that year we missed around 2 to 3 weeks of school.

When we finally went back there was still snow on the road.

I'll always remember that storm, I delivered mail in north Asheville and that was a Saturday April 4; will never forget it the day before we were wearing our postal shorts like 75.  That next day I tried to deliver my mail and even with chains on I had to come back to the station there were so many cars out joy riding in the snow they had the roads blocked and I couldn't get thru on my route, every where I tried to go the road was blocked.  We had around 12-14 inches the best I can remember, Heavy and Wet snow I mean. I'll never forget it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tacoma said:

I can't believe I had to cut my grass a week ago, the earliest I ever cut my grass was the end of March, this is crazy.

I cut grass mid to late march last year.

I have yet to cut it this season.

Only wild onions are growing in my yard.

Had 3 snows,

Not one was more than a dusting.

A couple could've been several inches had it been colder at the surface.

I give this winter an F

2012 was the only one worse...

No snow at all.

3 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

Depends on the source though.  Isotherm did very well with his winter forecast (mine was terrible).

Very strong +AO in the stratosphere here (1hPa to 100hPa) of late.  Also shown is the coupled +AO in the stratosphere and troposphere since January, and forecast to continue, which suggests a mild March is in the offing.  Good by me, as spring is the only season of the 4 that I want temperatures to be above normal.

Mk7MaJV.png

10 minutes ago, griteater said:

Without a doubt, this was one of the worst mean winter patterns of all time.  In terms of temperatures...for sites with a long climo record around the southeast, Raleigh seems to be the one with the warmest ranking where so far it has been the 3rd warmest since 1887.

3D2tcCy.png

lJOEVnT.png

ZYmwIqd.png

Our friends in NE GA really taint the generic terrible winter across the sub forum... Thanks for nothing guys!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, griteater said:

Without a doubt, this was one of the worst mean winter patterns of all time.  In terms of temperatures...for sites with a long climo record around the southeast, Raleigh seems to be the one with the warmest ranking where so far it has been the 3rd warmest since 1887.

3D2tcCy.png

lJOEVnT.png

ZYmwIqd.png

You know it was bad when you can see the warm nose on a winter snowfall percent of mean graphic :lmao: