Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2020

jburns

27 minutes ago, Isopycnic said:

Doesn’t melting snow create latent heat? I know that the evaporational cooling will offset any latent heat created but #2 isn’t correct, right?

"Melting snow to rain requires latent heat. This heat is taken from the surrounding air. In order to obtain substantial temperature change due to melting, it is necessary to have rather heavy amounts of precipitation falling with little or no warm advection. If this occurs, you can have heavy rain turn to heavy snow as the freezing level sinks downward due to cooling by latent heat absorption.

Although this situation can occur, cases of substantial lowering of the freezing level due to melting are relatively rare because the combination of heavy precicpitation without warm air advection is rare."

You may have been thinking of freezing rain (?) where there is a release of latent heat into the surrounding air when rain freezes.

• Like 2

First time post!  I've got about 3.4" about 4 miles north of RDU.  Still spiting snow.  Interestingly I did see an uptick in flake size about 2 hours ago when the LP was beginning to develop and the pivot was occurring.  Snow geese are fed for now!!  RDU officially with 3" so that makes sense.  Kudos to the NAM on this one.  Not sure but I'd imagine the snow totals would have been close if not for melting. 

• Like 2