Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2020

jburns

Just now, NorthHillsWx said:

I would not say it was more suppressed. The LP location remained nearly identical, if not a tick further North, but the precip was not nearly as expansive. All things considered, still not a bad run imho. 

The northern stream energy dropping down is limiting the extent of the moisture on the northern edge. 

• Thanks 1

On the 12z Canadian, there's much less upper level (500mb) dynamics involved because of the handling of the vort moving out of the Rockies into the Plains Thursday morning. 0z GEM kept it rolling southeast and there was a degree of phasing of the system, leading to the NW side of our coastal low blossoming with precip.

12z GEM takes the Rockies vort to the ENE (rather odd-looking) and you get little to no interaction with it and our coastal system.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wow said:

I ain't impressed.  Better hope for a last minute tweak to make this more than just more token flakes (at least for W NC)

Yeah I agree sadly.  Ironically when we actually need a moisture laden system, it just doesn't look like we're going to have it.  Western NC I think is on the outside looking in. Eastern NC and what happens with the coastal is an interesting question imo. 

I ain't impressed.  Better hope for a last minute tweak to make this more than just more token flakes (at least for W NC).  But it could be one of those overperformers... just had one for N GA!

For the mountains these overrunning events have worked out before. Below 1500’ might struggle with temps though imo.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

UK is squashed, its not trending our way at the moment.

Right where we want it 3 days out! But really, the NAM is good with thermals, ie the 2-8 storm, but how is it with actual precip locations?? I mean all the models had precip in the same general area on 2-8, NAM was the snowiest and was right on thermal profiles

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 2

Has the Euro had a tendency to be too warm at the surface lately? I know it was with the 2/8 event. 850s are right at freezing and crashing as the precip arrives, but it's in the low 40s at the surface. If that was more in the 36-38 range I'd feel a lot better about evaporational cooling being enough to overcome the boundary. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tar Heel Snow said:

Oh hai Euro! Precip continues to trend back, still unsure about temps, but they look to be in mid-upper 30s across the region at these time frames

The building I'm in is not allowing me to have a good look at the maps, but it seems as if you are correct on the temps, and the dp appears to be lower also. I thought I had seen a little stronger "wedge" signature starting at hr 48 too? 

• Like 2

Bottom line after today's runs is that a coastal low appears to be our best chance now and coastal lows do have a tendency to trend NW. Modeling will bounce around for the next few days but the players have entered the field from all camps and we are finally able to track something inside 4 days. Not every run is going to be better than the last one but I'd say overall the trends today have been encouraging. Obviously the CMC, which had a beautiful run last night, wasn't as good but it still had the same idea. Starting to see agreement 4 days out which to me is as good as we could ask for in this timeframe. 

• Like 2