Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2020

jburns

12 minutes ago, Extreme NEGA said:

Soundings don't look good though

Just for fun given the time range but Soundings are fine from what I see. Its surface temps are obviously too warm given the snowfall. Keep in mind the euro busted pretty bad with the weekend snow...ended up being 5 to 8 degrees too warm at the surface. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Soundings are fine from what I see. Its surface temps are obviously too warm given the snowfall. Keep in mind the euro busted pretty bad with the weekend snow...ended up being 5 to 8 degrees too warm at the surface. 

Yep, 850's and 925's both looked great throughout. No warm nose at all. 

9 minutes ago, griteater said:

Maybe at the surface, but upstairs it more of a Dec 2018 look (storm that hit NGA and the mtns) - that is, positive tilt trough dives down and brings the cold, then SW flow commences along the boundary.

Being in Athens at the time I hated that storm. Back in the Mtns now I'd love to have another go at it. 

2 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Soundings are fine from what I see. Its surface temps are obviously too warm given the snowfall. Keep in mind the euro busted pretty bad with the weekend snow...ended up being 5 to 8 degrees too warm at the surface. 

Yep the suface temps is what I was referring to but that is true about last weekends system. Nice to finally have something on on the euro too.

I feel like in this pattern that is quite possibly the best look we could hope for board wide. Weak over running, followed by late coastal development, means literally no one has to deal with any warm air advection. If it bombed out earlier it'd screw the eastern zones, and if it lost the over running it'd screw us to the west. Can't imagine the mood on this board if such a region wide event were to go down. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

I feel like in this pattern that is quite possibly the best look we could hope for board wide. Weak over running, followed by late coastal development, means literally no one has to deal with any warm air advection. If it bombed out earlier it'd screw the eastern zones, and if it lost the over running it'd screw us to the west. Can't imagine the mood on this board if such a region wide event were to go down. 

Atlanta shutsdown again lol

• Haha 1

Some thoughts;

This is an uncommon, although not unheard of, setup that exists because of the thermal gradient.

Check this out: 5359c47c069dc4bcf636d6207ba13b01.jpg
There is a very intense thermal gradient here with a trough in the NE and a strong ridge poking in from Florida. The general mechanism for winter mischief is that any blip or impulse riding this gradient will be able to kick up precipitation from frontogenesis and general warm air advection (which sounds scary but in pure scientific terms is another way to produce lift. WAA = lift!) The high pressure also helps. I’m not really focusing on the potential coastal closer the euro has until a few more days pass. The issue here is the high 500mb heights; it may not be very cold throughout the entire atmosphere and *whatever* this is may evolve into a delicate mix forecast as cold air still has potential to undercut things at the surface. Synoptically, I think a similar event is 1/28/14 (which eventually brought a moderate snowfall along a wave riding a big thermal gradient) although not a perfect analog.

It’s an imperfect setup but there’s a higher ceiling than most events due to the potential duration/moisture supply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

Yep, 850's and 925's both looked great throughout. No warm nose at all. 

Yep, only a very shallow warm  layer near the surface which would easily be overcome taking it at face value.

22 minutes ago, Extreme NEGA said:

Yep the suface temps is what I was referring to but that is true about last weekends system. Nice to finally have something on on the euro too.

It actually is a few degrees  colder at 925mb to the surface than Saturday's system. Euro showing 0.50 to 0.75 liquid so those snow total maps are a bit underdone...probably closer to 4 to 6. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Yep, only a very shallow warm  layer near the surface which would easily be overcome taking it at face value.

It actually is a few degrees  colder at 925mb to the surface than Saturday's system. Euro showing 0.50 to 0.75 liquid so those snow total maps are a bit underdone...probably closer to 4 to 6. 

Yea I feel like too many get caught up in the clown maps. If you look at precip totals and temps aloft the clown isn't telling you the truth a lot of times. Fun one to watch especially with possible coastal low development which could really enhance the Lee side precip totals if it times out right.

• Like 1

Euro and EPS control continue to be in near lock step with one another. EPS mean is down just a bit, but at this range it's gonna jump around some so I wouldn't worry about it unless a downward trend over several runs shows up. But even then, all the ensembles spiraled downward in the medium range for this past weekend only to come back inside day 2-3.

• Thanks 1