Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2020

jburns

26 minutes ago, CARDC79 said:

Every year about this time I’m torn between wanting big snowstorm and warm enough to golf. The struggle is real. At least some mood flakes would be nice. 

I used to be a big golfer before kids, so I can understand this, BUT, its been plenty warm enough for golf. In fact cool weather is way better for golf in my book.  The problem the past couple winters has been rain, not cold. And there'll be plenty of heat later on. I say bring on as much cold as we can get and hopefully some frozen please. 

In years past I would say we have until the first week of March but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Still hoping to see a better pattern emerge for Feb. 

22 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

I used to be a big golfer before kids, so I can understand this, BUT, its been plenty warm enough for golf. In fact cool weather is way better for golf in my book.  The problem the past couple winters has been rain, not cold. And there'll be plenty of heat later on. I say bring on as much cold as we can get and hopefully some frozen please. 

In years past I would say we have until the first week of March but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Still hoping to see a better pattern emerge for Feb. 

Agreed. The problem really hasn’t been cold of course, just wet! Our club has good drainage and still been sloppy, cart path only. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, burrel2 said:

Places like Savannah and Charleston were pretty close to a major snow event Tuesday night.  Plenty of cold air; storm gets cranking about 300 miles too far east though.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

7 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

THE OP EURO HAS BEEN HINTING AT A GULF LOW AROUND THE 27TH/28TH BUT IT HAS IT TOO FAR SOUTH FOR NOW. TEMPS WOULD BE MARGINAL BUT IF IT COULD TRACK FARTHER NORTH IT MIGHT BE INTERESTING, 

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus (2).png

Don’t we need that big High to be wayyyy further south?

10 minutes ago, SteveRDU said:

Don’t we need that big High to be wayyyy further south?

Maybe if we could shift that big low in the Northeast NE another couple hundred miles it could help funnel colder air in and push that HP down out of SE Canada into NY state..I know, It’s a reach 

On 1/20/2020 at 11:33 AM, Lookout said:

Something to keep an eye on is maybe some light snow over north ga tonight..hrrr is showing some. (In fact up to an inch or more in the mountains over toward rome). Nav also has been consistent with a little. Despite the dry profiles and runs of everything else, still  wouldn't surprise me to see some meso effects create a small area of flurries/showers into tomorrow morning. Not a huge chance but better than zero which is a lot considering how   horrible this winter has been.

Well tried as hard as I could to see flakes this morning but alas only managed virga. Its beyond sad and embarrassing that winter sucks so much that it I have to  resort to that.

I guess the next sad excuse/fail for  winter weather.... is there  could be a little sleet at the start of precip thur evening due to dry low to mid levels before our exciting  mid to upper 30s rain slams us. :weep:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Well tried as hard as I could to see flakes this morning but alas only managed virga. Its beyond sad and embarrassing that winter sucks so much that it I have to  resort to that.

I guess the next sad excuse/fail for  winter weather.... is there  could be a little sleet at the start of precip thur evening due to dry low to mid levels before our exciting  mid to upper 30s rain slams us. :weep:

Barely managed the slightest flurry in Clayton this morning. The highest elevations here in Rabun County up around Sky Valley have seen a dusting, but the rest of the county has been completely shutout so far. In my lifetime we've never not had any measurable snow in a winter. I can't imagine it actually finishing that way but I'm certainly not optimistic right now. 

28 minutes ago, FLweather said:

Getting reports on some Facebook pages of iguanas dropping from trees and even dangling.

The cold has stunned and immobilized them.

In the upper 30s this morning NW of Orlando. 

"And this mornings's weather report, Bob, has us with sunny skies, 38 degrees, with a slight chance of iguanas........."

• Haha 1

If PTI (Greensboro,NC) ends the month with no measurable snow, which is looking likely, it will be the first time we’ve gone back to back January’s without any snow since 92 & 93.  Interestingly enough we all know what happened shortly after in March of 93... Hope is alive and well!! Lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2