• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2020

jburns

I hear you. Had the full court press to turn in the AC last night. Could not do it on principle.

. Pro
As long as you never turn on the heat, you can generally get the house cool enough that it will stay semi-comfortable without AC except in extended blowtorch patterns.

Truth be told-- heat is optional in our area of the country - AC is not (if you still want to be productive).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

The indices today still look terrible. 

PNA - Still looks to go negative

AO/NAO - Stays strongly positive

EPO - Stays positive

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

4indices.png

Hopefully things turn around at the end of this month. 

Still plenty of time

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Still plenty of time

Yeah, we've seen many years where our first storm comes at the end of January; and then many more where (Fab)February saves us. I wasn't worried going up to Christmas (December usually doesn't produce anyways), but I would be lying by saying I wasn't worried about losing most of January.   

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Actually looks like a weak Southern wave, that timeframe has been kind of hinted at for the past 3-4 days on GFS

Huge difference between GFS & Canadian at the surface and h5.

Gfs just looks weird on the 12z, almost fropa.

Weak wave develops along the front. Chances are it will be gone by 18z.

3 hours ago, FallsLake said:

The indices today still look terrible. 

PNA - Still looks to go negative

AO/NAO - Stays strongly positive

EPO - Stays positive

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

4indices.png

Hopefully things turn around at the end of this month. 

One would think that eventually, just on the laws of probability and statistics, or even just "chance" we could get some legitimate winter time with the indeces in our favor. It seems like the patterns we want are just out of step right now. Maybe in a few years the timing will have changed a bit and we'll start to see them (especially -NOA) better aling with winter instead of summer? 

1 hour ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

One would think that eventually, just on the laws of probability and statistics, or even just "chance" we could get some legitimate winter time with the indeces in our favor. It seems like the patterns we want are just out of step right now. Maybe in a few years the timing will have changed a bit and we'll start to see them (especially -NOA) better aling with winter instead of summer? 

I keep thinking what goes up must come down (and vice versa). So with all the indices current in an unfavorable state, you would think a strong reversal is in order at the end of this month.

Also, I've read that in cold winters there is usually a mid winter thaw (a relaxing of the predominate pattern). This also applies to warm winters where a mid winter cold period usually occurs. If I'm correct, I think 2000 was an overall warm winter and we ended up getting this (at mid winter):

jjjj.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FallsLake said:

I keep thinking what goes up must come down (and vice versa). So with all the indices current in an unfavorable state, you would think a strong reversal is in order at the end of this month.

Also, I've read that in cold winters there is usually a mid winter thaw (a relaxing of the predominate pattern). This also applies to warm winters where a mid winter cold period usually occurs. If I'm correct, I think 2000 was an overall warm winter and we ended up getting this (at mid winter):

jjjj.jpg

And before that, we had a decent little event in the western part of the state.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FallsLake said:

jjjj.jpg

For that storm in 2000 it was decidedly balmy a couple weeks prior in January as I was raking leaves in the backyard and recall napping in a chair on the deck w/o getting even chilly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Queencitywx said:

And before that, we had a decent little event in the western part of the state.

Yep.. actually it was quite a favorable pattern for a couple of weeks prior.  Remember getting 2-3" in Statesville around the middle of the month which slightly tampered the horror of Jan 25 while watching everyone south and east of me get hammered.  Never saw a single flurry that day.

49 minutes ago, Wow said:

Yep.. actually it was quite a favorable pattern for a couple of weeks prior.  Remember getting 2-3" in Statesville around the middle of the month which slightly tampered the horror of Jan 25 while watching everyone south and east of me get hammered.  Never saw a single flurry that day.

We got stuck on Saluda Mountain that afternoon. We eventually got down 26 but it was a close call. 

1/25/00 was basically a non event in my backyard as well. At most, a couple inches.

Man, January is not looking good. Most LR models / indices give us little hope through mid month. I hate having access to the CFS model on the Pivotal site. It would indicate all of January is toast; and if you extrapolated, at least the first week of February is lost. But I (we) should know it'll show a different solution within the next few runs (hopefully).

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=cfs&p=prateptype_cat&rh=2020010106&fh=6&r=conus&dpdt=&mc=