• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Panic Room

NorEastermass128

Yeah, this winter is worse than '11-'12 for me, but panic and dismay have passed on to numb acceptance and the eager anticipation of spring.

Anyway, since we're in a panic thread, I'd like to make a suggestion regarding COVID-19 for anyone who takes critical medication manufactured in China (or via a manufacturer who sources chemicals from China). I'd recommend looking into getting an extra prescription now, as supply disruptions may well be in the offing. These Chinese lockdowns show no sign of abating and there is little likelihood of China getting control over coronavirus and returning to work in the coming month or two. You might also consider gradually stocking up on extra essentials, canned food, rice etc., as social isolation may well be coming to the U.S. in the coming months. The military has already initiated their pandemic plan and if the data concerning the bug's virality are close to correct, there is little chance of preventing this from spreading globally. 

• Like 2

If the low solar cycles are to continue for a while, and the PDO is to slowly trend negative, I think there are a lot of El Ninos like this one and the last one to come over the next 10-20 years fo the Northeast. The high solar/high PDO El Ninos will be different, but I don't know that there are that many of them near term.

It’s been one of the worst periods on record since New Years around here...the numbers speak for themselves...but I could never rank the overall winter near 2011-2012 or 2001-2002 or even winters like 1994-1995 or 1999-2000....can’t just ignore the snows we had in December with cover nearly the whole month during the holiday season. None of those other seasons had any period like that.  

I’d I lived on the coast where the snow was less and melted pretty quickly then I’d definitely feel different. 

Anyways, hopefully we get a couple bombs to finish the season. 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s been one of the worst periods on record since New Years around here...the numbers speak for themselves...but I could never rank the overall winter near 2011-2012 or 2001-2002 or even winters like 1994-1995 or 1999-2000....can’t just ignore the snows we had in December with cover nearly the whole month during the holiday season. None of those other seasons had any period like that.  

I’d I lived on the coast where the snow was less and melted pretty quickly then I’d definitely feel different. 

Anyways, hopefully we get a couple bombs to finish the season. 

I agree and if you look at it objectively, '02 and '12 were much worse in terms of snow, temperatures, etc.  I'd take this winter over those any day, especially '12 with the warmth that it had.  Going back though, we've had other worse winters but people have short term memories so I'll stick with the last 20 years.

Just now, MetHerb said:

I agree and if you look at it objectively, '02 and '12 were much worse in terms of snow, temperatures, etc.  I'd take this winter over those any day, especially '12 with the warmth that it had.  Going back though, we've had other worse winters but people have short term memories so I'll stick with the last 20 years.

It just depends where you are. 11-12 was worse for snow verbatim, but I can’t think of a combo of warmth and lack of snow since mid December that anyone has seen. If anything your area may be ground zero for anomalously low snow during this stretch. 

1 minute ago, MetHerb said:

Yeah I didn’t even mention 1988/1989 which is probably the worst winter I ever lived through. Before my time there is 1979-1980 and then a whole slew of putrid winters leading up to 1955. 

59 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I didn’t even mention 1988/1989 which is probably the worst winter I ever lived through. Before my time there is 1979-1980 and then a whole slew of putrid winters leading up to 1955. 

CON ended up with 48.9" in 11-12, but it would've ended up their least snowiest winter on record if they had 0" in October instead of 23.0". But getting an event like that instantly takes the season out of the running for the worst ever. We did better up here, relatively speaking, than CON from that point on as well.

88-89 and 79-80 sucked, but at least they were dry. More CON data...

79-80 DJF-W 1.93" 0.43" 0.78" - 3.14"
88-89 DJF-W 1.05" 0.74" 2.05" - 3.84"
01-02 DJF-W 2.24" 2.01" 1.98" - 6.23"
19-20 DJF-W 5.45" 1.95" 1.55" - 8.95"

So if it isn't going to snow, I'd prefer to at least avoid rain. CON has almost 9" of liquid and only 35" of snow to show for it this winter. That's really pathetic. I mean you're pushing a sleet ratio there for the entire season on average. At least 79-80 and 88-89 were closer to 8-9:1. 01-02 was another putrid 5-6:1 type winter with only 34".

As far as straight numbers here's the reason why 11-12/15-16 were better than this season (in interior south central CT) but not as bad as 01-02 (if it were to end with no more snow). I can't really remember 06-07 events or how much snowfall we had but i do remember there were a lot of sleet storms.

19-20 - 10.5" (3 advisory level snow events, one ice event)

15-16 - 27.5" (2 warning events, one historic blizzard 12+ and one 10+ feb event, one feb adv event and march advisory event)

11-12 - 25" (2 warning level events, one historic October and one 12" snow storm in January

01-02 - 7.0" (1 advisory level event and thats it, huge lack of cold air worse than this season and no storms to speak of except the Foxborough event)

It's gonna be hard nut to crack to get something worse than 01-02 here. That's like a 1-100 year shit show.

8 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

If you lived where I do, then you would.

I wouldn’t.  You’re still running well below your normal and your January and February totals are abysmal so far.  Most of the snow occurring in both months was followed by non snow precipitation.  The thing is, 2001-02 and 2011-12 were winters without expectation of improvement.  This one had so much promise that kind of went poof close to 2 months ago.  I’m starting to really look forward to summer heat.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

CON ended up with 48.9" in 11-12, but it would've ended up their least snowiest winter on record if they had 0" in October instead of 23.0". But getting an event like that instantly takes the season out of the running for the worst ever. We did better up here, relatively speaking, than CON from that point on as well.

88-89 and 79-80 sucked, but at least they were dry. More CON data...

79-80 DJF-W 1.93" 0.43" 0.78" - 3.14"
88-89 DJF-W 1.05" 0.74" 2.05" - 3.84"
01-02 DJF-W 2.24" 2.01" 1.98" - 6.23"
19-20 DJF-W 5.45" 1.95" 1.55" - 8.95"

So if it isn't going to snow, I'd prefer to at least avoid rain. CON has almost 9" of liquid and only 35" of snow to show for it this winter. That's really pathetic. I mean you're pushing a sleet ratio there for the entire season on average. At least 79-80 and 88-89 were closer to 8-9:1. 01-02 was another putrid 5-6:1 type winter with only 34".

I had 43” in ‘11-‘12. But the winter itself was so bad I would rate it near the bottom (though above a few others). I def can’t rate it worst overall with getting a 17 inch snowstorm. Winters like ‘01-‘02, ‘99-‘00, and ‘88-‘89 are definitely worse. 

This year also has a 17 inch snowstorm and it occurred during the holiday season. So subjectively to me that makes it better than ‘11-12 even if the rest of the season is the same. Even though the 2011 storm was more anomalous. I love holiday season snow so it’s a personal preference. ‘79-‘80 also had a very anomalous snowstorm on 10/10/79 but that winter would have ranked probably 2nd worst on my list if I had lived through it.

But both ‘11-12 and this year can’t rate lower than those putrid ones I listed above. I might rate ‘90-91 lower than this one too. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I wouldn’t.  You’re still running well below your normal and your January and February totals are abysmal so far.  Most of the snow occurring in both months was followed by non snow precipitation.  The thing is, 2001-02 and 2011-12 were winters without expectation of improvement.  This one had so much promise that kind of went poof close to 2 months ago.  I’m starting to really look forward to summer heat.

In the fall of 2001 all of the LR guys had 01-02 being an epic winter.