Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Panic Room

NorEastermass128

3 hours ago, ice1972 said:

This one is a special kind of rat though.....with like a return period of 100 years....even 200 years.....so boned, so boned

BDL is at normal snows to this point lol. While it has been very bad with practically nothing to show for from mid Dec onwards...the numbers are what they are. It’s Definitely not 1 in 100/200 year type ratter. Put the tequila away during the day.

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

BDL is at normal snows to this point lol. While it has been very bad with practically nothing to show for from mid Dec onwards...the numbers are what they are. It’s Definitely not 1 in 100/200 year type ratter. Put the tequila away during the day.

Reminds me of Knyc in 2016. 

How about Caribou, Maine with its 4th warmest winter and still with over 100 inches of snow. Must be nice sigh 

12 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

How about Caribou, Maine with its 4th warmest winter and still with over 100 inches of snow. Must be nice sigh 

Yea, it sucks how we are getting to the numbers this season. It’s like a hitter batting .260 in July for the season after a .400 April. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

NNE can afford to have the warm winters though and still snow.  Up here it was +7 in January at MVL but the average high temp was still below freezing.  We do start to lose that luxury soon though as climo normals start ticking upward.  

Warmer temps often mean a storm track nearby too in NNE as the seasonal baroclinic zone that normally pushes south into the mid-Atlantic ends up staying  more like over SNE.  There has literally been like no suppression depression storms for us, when usually there’s at least a few that we smoke dim sum cirrus...or even just have a sunny day while it snows in NYC.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

NNE can afford to have the warm winters though and still snow.  Up here it was +7 in January at MVL but the average high temp was still below freezing.  We do start to lose that luxury soon though as climo normals start ticking upward.  

Warmer temps often mean a storm track nearby too in NNE as the seasonal baroclinic zone that normally pushes south into the mid-Atlantic ends up staying  more like over SNE.  There has literally been like no suppression depression storms for us, when usually there’s at least a few that we smoke dim sum cirrus...or even just have a sunny day while it snows in NYC.

All the suppression storms have been out to sea. Lol. There were like two or three that were Nova Scotia storms. 

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Absolutely. Usually if it is warm down here you guys are cashing in up there. It also helps that your avg temps are so cold during peak winter. You can be +10 for the day and still be in some CCB magic. The ensembles did well with forecasting this gradient look for the month of February. More often the not your area will be a winter wonderland. 

37 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea, it sucks how we are getting to the numbers this season. It’s like a hitter batting .260 in July for the season after a .400 April. 

Yep. It’s obviously personal preference on how you get to normal snowfall. You can do it all in one shot (nice to have that luxury on the east coast) or nickel and dime your way. Kord(Chicago) is crawling its way to avg snowfall with numerous little events. It’s greatest 24 hours snowfall was 3 inche back on October 31st lol. The seasonal total so far is 21 inches with that being 2 inches below normal. 

I need to move to Truckee, CA.....or anywhere up there....miss that place and no chance of zero pack in February....although the occasional Pineapple Express thing will put down Some serious rain up there to the point of disaster as I witnessed first hand New Years Day 1997.....holy moly that was epic....couldn’t get out of Reno for three days.....airport closed....I-80 closed....train station closed....massive truckee river flood....so either way....here - just BONED...SO HARD

• Weenie 2

The key period for New England is March 14-20. If you're going to get a big snow storm, I think it should be when the pattern that repeats the early December Boston snow repeats. Prior to that, there should be big rains/snows in the Southwest from a huge burst of subtropical moisture if the pattern continues to repeat. Might be too warm for a big snow event in New England given the warmth in the pattern without help from the -NAO though.

My storm today/yesterday ties in exactly 104 days after a storm we had in late October, when a cold front came through at Midnight from the East, ended a slightly warm pattern for a very cold day without much moisture. Same exact thing today/yesterday. Prior storms since December have tied in with the lag at that exact distance, and god knows we don't have many storms here.

If you use Boston, it should be December 3, 2019 +104 days. So, 28 for Dec, 31 for Jan, 29 for Feb, and then 16. So March 16th is the day to watch. We had near record rains/snows throughout the Southwest November 20-29, so that should happen about March 4-13 if the cycle repeats. March 4th is actually, over the past century, the second snowiest day of the year (by frequency) for large areas of New Mexico and the Southwest. We'll see.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, snowman21 said:

Stuck at 5 inches for the season. It's not BDL's whopping 20-something inches, but hey at least it's not zero either. All winter everyone has been loving the warmth and springlike mornings, but if a summer like '09 follows, I don't want to hear any complaining.

What was summer 09 like? I forget. Generally dont have a good memory about summer warmth or lack thereof. 99% of my brain is filled with all winter weather events dating back to 2000.

:icecream:

• Weenie 1

On 2/11/2020 at 8:53 PM, ice1972 said:

I need to move to Truckee, CA.....or anywhere up there....miss that place and no chance of zero pack in February....although the occasional Pineapple Express thing will put down Some serious rain up there to the point of disaster as I witnessed first hand New Years Day 1997.....holy moly that was epic....couldn’t get out of Reno for three days.....airport closed....I-80 closed....train station closed....massive truckee river flood....so either way....here - just BONED...SO HARD

At least you’ve got the Warriors and 49ers to ease your pain. 

• Haha 2

On 2/11/2020 at 6:24 PM, powderfreak said:

Warmer temps often mean a storm track nearby too in NNE as the seasonal baroclinic zone that normally pushes south into the mid-Atlantic ends up staying more like over SNE.  There has literally been like no suppression depression storms for us, when usually there’s at least a few that we smoke dim sum cirrus...or even just have a sunny day while it snows in NYC.

I don’t follow temperatures that closely, so it was very surprising when you posted how the area was +7 for January and that’s still below freezing for the average high temp.  I guess that shows how cold the average temperatures are up here.  We’re still running right around average with respect to snowfall, so it doesn’t seem like the above average temperatures were overly detrimental to the snowfall.

I much prefer these types of winters where the temperatures may be more marginal, but the storm track is nearby.  We’ve had the occasional taste of subzero temperatures to keep things interesting, but they’ve moved on pretty quickly to get us back to something more comfortable for skiing.

5 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I don’t follow temperatures that closely, so it was very surprising when you posted how the area was +7 for January and that’s still below freezing for the average high temp.  I guess that shows how cold the average temperatures are up here.  We’re still running right around average with respect to snowfall, so it doesn’t seem like the above average temperatures were overly detrimental to the snowfall.

I much prefer these types of winters where the temperatures may be more marginal, but the storm track is nearby.  We’ve had the occasional taste of subzero temperatures to keep things interesting, but they’ve moved on pretty quickly to get us back to something more comfortable for skiing.

I’d like it a bit colder, just to help with retention and pack building but I do appreciate the break on the heating bills. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

that almost seemed faked...you'd think someone with a communications background has seen, or can say the name Dea-dra 

Dee-Dee is a common short for Deidre or phonetically prononuced as you said Dea-Dra

Mega Doo Doo may have come from a slip of the tongue from duty and the final part of her name doht, or she just stuttered and said do, and then do again.

Or someone on the teleprompter royally messed up or trolled her with the the prompter.

Impossible to tell. We'll never know i guess.

Either way, it's hilarious

DEE DEE....MEGA DOO DOO I'm sor.....

Poor Dee Dee Mega Doo Doo, she died twice. RIP.

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Dee-Dee is a common short for Deidre or phonetically prononuced as you said Dea-Dra

Mega Doo Doo may have come from a slip of the tongue from duty and the final part of her name doht, or she just stuttered and said do, and then do again.

Or someone on the teleprompter royally messed up or trolled her with the the prompter.

Impossible to tell. We'll never know i guess.

Either way, it's hilarious

DEE DEE....MEGA DOO DOO I'm sor.....

Poor Dee Dee Mega Doo Doo, she died twice. RIP.

Ah, had no idea dee dee was short for deidra