Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Panic Room

NorEastermass128

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I dunno if I'd call that winter crap. BOS had a 21 inch storm in January 1978. 

Id say a more hopeful analog might be something like '68-'69 or '12-'13. Both went into February with really paltry snowfall totals in BOS and coastal areas but both seasons are remembered fondly...multiple blockbuster events occurred after that (Feb '13/Mar '13 and the Lindsay Storm and Feb 24-28, 1969)....both had the NAO going favorable though. Would be nice to see that happen this year too. 

Yea, false statement...not sure what Bob meant.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I dunno if I'd call that winter crap. BOS had a 21 inch storm in January 1978. 

Id say a more hopeful analog might be something like '68-'69 or '12-'13. Both went into February with really paltry snowfall totals in BOS and coastal areas but both seasons are remembered fondly...multiple blockbuster events occurred after that (Feb '13/Mar '13 and the Lindsay Storm and Feb 24-28, 1969)....both had the NAO going favorable though. Would be nice to see that happen this year too. 

I think that January storm was the #1 event all time for Boston up until Feb 6...  of course it had all melted by then 

It hadn't entirely melted...I think BOS had like a 3" snow depth and ORH was around 12" when the Feb '78 blizzard hit. The Cleveland superbomb on the 25th-26th had done a number on the pack for sure though. There were two warning criteria snowfalls before the Jan 20 incher too.....most areas had a snow depth around 30" before the Cleveland superbomb. Honestly, the CLE superbomb prob saved a great deal of extra snow removal pain. Those two warning events before the huge Jan snowstorm were messy sleet mixed in too...so there was a ton of water equivalent in the pack and snow banks.

I've seen pics of ORH before the Feb '78 storm and it's huge snow banks already even with the CLE superbomb trimming them down some.

7 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We have no control over it.  I was responding to BIrving’s post about how people are handling it.  I love snow.  I get out and enjoy it as much as I can plus it affects my work.  But am I going to spazz because I didn’t get this amount or that storm?   Nope.    

it's so bad lately that we need mets to spoon feed the tumultuous weenies positive information, just to keep the threads from being derailed by crybabies

I'm done! Totally chucking this pathetic excuse of a winter out the window! Not as bad as 2015-16, but still bad to say the least! We've not had a single event exceed the 4-5" range all winter besides the one big bomb. If it was colder and we kept the pack around more, it would be much better, but the rainy cutters and thaws have sucked!

Making matters worse is the poor performance of the models teasing us with snowstorms all season. Even the normally more trusty Euro has had some massive fails lately...this weekend's "storm" notwithstanding. I haven't seen such a severe correction with regards to the placement of a 500 mb low this close to verification time in a good long while. They are definitely struggling with this fast, zonal pattern with no blocking and a SE ridge. Last year had a lot of similarities to this year, but was a little colder overall and we did get some decent events in January even if they underachieved due to sleet or freezing rain contamination.

I'm happy we got that one nice bowling ball that nailed locations around my latitude back at the start of December. Otherwise this winter has resembled the aforementioned ratter along with others like 2001-2, 2005-6, and to some extent 2011-12. At least 2011-12 featured Snowtober and some decent upslope events. We can't even get a decent upslope event this year with storms cruising along at such a fast pace.

Maybe we get a transient cold pattern and another rogue storm sometime on February or March, for which I will be exceedingly grateful. However, psychologically, I'm out. I look for sustained cold and snowy patterns that build and retain a deep pack in a good winter, and I don't see that happening anytime soon. Besides the sun angle is creeping upward and the days getting longer now. Sure good years sometimes have relaxations and thaws, but when arcane monotony dominates over invigoration and excitement, it's time to toss and move on. Someone fire up the lawn thread...

• Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

I'm done! Totally chucking this pathetic excuse of a winter out the window! Not as bad as 2015-16, but still bad to say the least! We've not had a single event exceed the 4-5" range all winter besides the one big bomb. If it was colder and we kept the pack around more, it would be much better, but the rainy cutters and thaws have sucked!

Making matters worse is the poor performance of the models teasing us with snowstorms all season. Even the normally more trusty Euro has had some massive fails lately...this weekend's "storm" notwithstanding. I haven't seen such a severe correction with regards to the placement of a 500 mb low this close to verification time in a good long while. They are definitely struggling with this fast, zonal pattern with no blocking and a SE ridge. Last year had a lot of similarities to this year, but was a little colder overall and we did get some decent events in January even if they underachieved due to sleet or freezing rain contamination.

I'm happy we got that one nice bowling ball that nailed locations around my latitude back at the start of December. Otherwise this winter has resembled the aforementioned ratter along with others like 2001-2, 2005-6, and to some extent 2011-12. At least 2011-12 featured Snowtober and some decent upslope events. We can't even get a decent upslope event this year with storms cruising along at such a fast pace.

Maybe we get a transient cold pattern and another rogue storm sometime on February or March, for which I will be exceedingly grateful. However, psychologically, I'm out. I look for sustained cold and snowy patterns that build and retain a deep pack in a good winter, and I don't see that happening anytime soon. Besides the sun angle is creeping upward and the days getting longer now. Sure good years sometimes have relaxations and thaws, but when arcane monotony dominates over invigoration and excitement, it's time to toss and move on. Someone fire up the lawn thread...

But the Winter @ Hour 240 has been epic.......:axe:

Just need scooter to have a full tilt melt. 

Hes come close a few times. Teetering like the guy at the bar leaning against the post....but he somehow staggers to the bar for a few steps without falling down before regaining his composure and ordering another drink. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxmanmitch said:

reverse psychology, been there done that

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just need scooter to have a full tilt melt. 

Hes come close a few times. Teetering like the guy at the bar leaning against the post....but he somehow staggers to the bar for a few steps without falling down before regaining his composure and ordering another drink. 

Yelling at random strangers as they walk to the bathroom.

• Haha 1