Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Late Dec 2019/Jan 2020

MAG5035

29 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The models are now playing the back & forth game for next weekend.

The GFS went from Apps runner to suppressed southern slider.

The Euro went from near perfect track major snowstorm yesterday to a suppressed southern slider overnight.

All solutions are on the table for a few more days. We have played this game many times over the years. Hopefully this time we end up winning a winter storm this time !

Did you see the snow maps from 318 to 342? Gives the coastal plain from Savannah to Virginia Beach a solid 6-12 inches...lol

15 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Unfortunately that's probably the game we play trying to hope for a partial phase.  It's a one in whatever chance. 

We just need a decent storm track that goes under us to our east while the low is strengthening. We are still in peak climo for winter temps. The I-95 crowd might struggle unless they get a perfect track. Back here in the interior, we stand a better chance with a slightly less than ideal track.

I would be fine with a run 3-6 or 4-8 inch type of snowstorm. The chance of a magical 1-2 feet historic snow storm is always remote.

I do like the change this time that suppression is on the table. That gives us a wide range of potential, & supports the idea of a storm possibly going under us.

We will see what 12z has to say in the game of weather model roulette.

9 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Did you see the snow maps from 318 to 336? Gives the coastal plain from Savannah to Virginia Beach a solid 6-12 inches...lol

Yes, This is what I’m getting at.

Southeast modeled snow usually corrects to the north. Much better than seeing Midwest snow & hoping it corrects south or east, which rarely happens.

This time, the possible solutions are different. We haven’t seen looks this year with suppression even being a possibility.

Just now, Blizzard of 93 said:

Southeast modeled snow usually corrects to the north. Much better than seeing Midwest snow & hoping it corrects south or east, which rarely happens.

This time, the possible solutions are different. We haven’t seen looks this year with suppression even being a possibility.

Definitely. 

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Get yer' Icon... fresh off the grill. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

That’s a nice start to the 12z models today!

GFS misses any sort of phase.  My Biggest issue with all this is found in this Panel from mid day Saturday (next weekend).  Going to take a specific circumstance to make a snow storm out of above freezing surface temps to our north. 

image.png.f2c09a42d6c7f0bcbcf86fde1296dc5e.png

17 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

GFS misses any sort of phase.  My Biggest issue with all this is found in this Panel from mid day Saturday (next weekend).  Going to take a specific circumstance to make a snow storm out of above freezing surface temps to our north. 

image.png.f2c09a42d6c7f0bcbcf86fde1296dc5e.png

It just has to be cold enough, & southern Canada looks plenty cold. A decent coastal will work just fine this time of year.

• Like 1

IMO Too far out to really dig deep.  With the variability on the models we need some continuity. Best takeaway is that we have stuff to track and if all works out we will need plows n shovels. Personally I’m happy to be in the game. Looking forward to tracking what seems like a legit threat window. 

22 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

It just has to be cold enough, & southern Canada looks plenty cold. A decent coastal will work just fine this time of year.

That is where you and I differ.  To me Southern Canada is a frying pan on the panel.  Low 30's.  Really no cold air to work with except the layers above which means has to be heavy snow assuming those panels are exact.  

12 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

IMO Too far out to really dig deep.  With the variability on the models we need some continuity. Best takeaway is that we have stuff to track and if all works out we will need plows n shovels. Personally I’m happy to be in the game. Looking forward to tracking what seems like a legit threat window. 

Exactly, tracking a legit threat is part of the fun of this hobby. We are in the game. If we get a good tracking coastal this time of year, we have a chance here in the interior.

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That is where you and I differ.  To me Southern Canada is a frying pan on the panel.  Low 30's.  Really no cold air to work with except the layers above which means has to be heavy snow assuming those panels are exact.  

Coastal storms usually bring good precip, so we should be good. There is no torch this week, just slightly above average for late January can get it done here.

• Like 1

The 12z Euro has a deepening coastal storm that develops in the southeast & rides up the coast as it strengthens.

To me, the precip shield looks underdone with a storm that deepens from 996 off of the NC coast to 987 near Norfolk then down to 971 off of the NJ coast. I would take my chances with this look for back here in the Susquehanna Valley.

We are still 1 week out & the track & strength will of course vary with each model run. 

I am getting more confident that the models are leaning towards the idea of a coastal storm instead of a cutter or suppressed storm. 

3B11332A-68F5-4986-B43D-2F152BEF0BBE.png

D2852515-1984-4194-8079-355278709B2F.png

68B98576-5EA2-4425-B2E2-034301410D66.png

The 18z GFS shows a deepening low riding up the east coast next weekend. It strengthens from the 990s in the Carolinas to the 970’s by the time it reaches our latitude & then into the 960’s off of the New England coast.

Verbatim, this run, the snow stays near I-81, but it would take only a small adjustment to get even our eastern locales into the good snow.

I would take my chances with this run.

D403FFB2-A355-4ECC-8808-A641594F7336.png

7018B100-48EF-454E-837E-9B2203A6EA1A.png

2870FA16-A3F1-4029-B45D-715636B5DFAB.png

508D3B7C-0360-48E8-BA74-D6E075CED14B.png

I’d like to say how much I appreciate @Blizzard of 93 and his optimism. I don’t mean this to sound negative but in the past you’d post snow maps which we all know we can’t solely trust blindly. But now you post them which is fun but explain how it can come to fruition despite challenges. 

i really enjoy them, thank you!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, canderson said:

I’d like to say how much I appreciate @Blizzard of 93 and his optimism. I don’t mean this to sound negative but in the past you’d post snow maps which we all know we can’t solely trust blindly. But now you post them which is fun but explain how it can come to fruition despite challenges. 

i really enjoy them, thank you!

Thanks man !

I just really enjoy tracking winter storms & this place has a great group !

Hopefully next weekend we are all shoveling, but lots of time to see how things unfold for the better or worse.

• Like 1