Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Late Dec 2019/Jan 2020

MAG5035

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

little more ridging early on for Euro.  Not getting a good feeling about the next panels....#stupidtrends

End result is slightly better than the GFS but snow is mainly still limited to the far North part of the state and even that is much reduced.  Surface low appears to have taken my Philly recommend is now going to visit Bucks County and the Lehigh Valley. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

Its almost unimaginable to consider getting 70+ inches now.  There would have to be no cutters and the jet stream would literally have to be running over us from Nanook the whole season. 

I"m old enough to remember many dud years, so while I'm down right now....I've/we've been down before.  Big diff between now and then is that we didnt have easy access to computer models and "trusted" the radio weather forecasts.  Now we can live and die 4 times a day and with more than a handful of useful models....thats alot of stressin. 

Maybe ignorance really is bliss....

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I"m old enough to remember many dud years, so while I'm down right now....I've/we've been down before.  Big diff between now and then is that we didnt have easy access to computer models and "trusted" the radio weather forecasts.  Now we can live and die 4 times a day and with more than a handful of useful models....thats alot of stressin. 

Maybe ignorance really is bliss....

100% agree with this sentiment.  Without the computer models we never really see as much potential for this weekend just the NWS AFD's saying it was something to watch. 

Thanks! How much did MDT record in 97-98? On CTP's site I only see records that go back to 1998-99.

11.4”

From 1989-1990 season to 2018-2019 season MDT recorded
10”- 20” 9 years
20”-30” 7 years”
30”-40” 4 years
40”-50” 3 years
50”-60” 2 years
60”-70” 0 years
70-80” 2 years

. Pro

4 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

The torch year of, what was is? 2012? Was it this miserable snow-wise? I feel like it was much, much warmer that winter, but I also feel like I've never felt this snow starved in my life. I'm 34, so I've lived through the big ones and have had some bad years, but this season just feels exceptionally bad.

It has seemed like we've had a lot of swing and misses so far this winter compared to 11-12. Of course that one did have one decent coastal hit.. on Halloween. I remember having a 7-8" snowfall in January, which I just found digging through my pictures. My biggest snowfall to date this winter is 2.0".. so I'd call this one worse so far personally. 11-12 was really warm in Feb-March if I recall correctly and that winter was different ENSO wise, being a solid La Nina the whole winter. Obviously things still have time to turn around in this one.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

11.4”

From 1989-1990 season to 2018-2019 season MDT recorded
10”- 20” 9 years
20”-30” 7 years”
30”-40” 4 years
40”-50” 3 years
50”-60” 2 years
60”-70” 0 years
70-80” 2 years

. Pro

Thanks again. I knew it was godawful. I'm pretty sure I had even less than that. 

What’s amazing to me is some of the winters in the 60’s. Biggest storm in some of them was 12” but that decade had season snowfalls of 81.7”, 74.7”, 60.6”, 51.6”, 50.5”, 48.4”, 42.6”, 31.8”, 25”.

Those huge snowfall totals came from having 6-10 storms that were 6-12”. Some of those winters had snow on the ground from early December through beginning of March straight though. If that happened today people in this area would think we were in the artic

. Pro

3 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

What’s amazing to me is some of the winters in the 60’s. Biggest storm in some of them was 12” but that decade had season snowfalls of 81.7”, 74.7”, 60.6”, 51.6”, 50.5”, 48.4”, 42.6”, 31.8”, 25”.

Those huge snowfall totals came from having 6-10 storms that were 6-12”. Some of those winters had snow on the ground from early December through beginning of March straight though. If that happened today people in this area would think we were in the artic

. Pro

And the changes cannot be blamed on weather stations being in different locations.  Many people argue that with global warming the areas affected will get colder first, due to the melt off of ice caps, before the eventual warm up and change.  Maybe the 60's were the beginning...

2 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

. Pro

Yep, I was born in '65 and have Polaroids of me as a small kid (late 60s) standing outside with huge banks of snow on both sides of our driveway. Dad told me often as I got older that snow rarely melted until March. 

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yep, I was born in '65 and have Polaroids of me as a small kid (late 60s) standing outside with huge banks of snow on both sides of our driveway. Dad told me often as I got older that snow rarely melted until March. 

2 years older then you, but yes, that is what i recall. we did everything outside and it just seemed like we dealt with snow until baseball season. 

• Like 1

From the winter of 1889-1900 till 1959-1960 they had recorded only 3 winters with 50”+ with the largest of 55.3” in 1917-1918.

Then comes the winter of 1960-1961, 81.3”. The next 2 years had winters of 51.6”, 50.5”, 74.7” There you go 4 winters in a row of 50”+ where there had been only 3 in the previous 60 years. Can you imagine the humbling experience it must have been to those that default to climo then? Your top 2 snowiest winters to date then crushing all previous winters easily. I’d say the beginning of the 1960’s was quite traumatic for meteorologists in this area.

. Pro

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Euro is going to snow on us the Friday after this one.   Here we go again.    This time the fantasy storm is a cutting low running into a 1028 High.

Lol I’m done believing until we’re within 24 to 36 hours.... feels like trends and feel should be weighted and models less so after last few awful performances. Even nws bought in to some extent on both.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

From the winter of 1889-1900 till 1959-1960 they had recorded only 3 winters with 50”+ with the largest of 55.3” in 1917-1918.

Then comes the winter of 1960-1961, 81.3”. The next 2 years had winters of 51.6”, 50.5”, 74.7” There you go 4 winters in a row of 50”+ where there had been only 3 in the previous 60 years. Can you imagine the humbling experience it must have been to those that default to climo then? Your top 2 snowiest winters to date then crushing all previous winters easily. I’d say the beginning of the 1960’s was quite traumatic for meteorologists in this area.

. Pro

And kids not wanting to go to school into the summer.  

And to add to all the warm tempeture talk,here is this post.
@NWSStateCollege
3h
Although it may not feel like it today or tomorrow, climatologically speaking we are at the coldest part of winter! Normal temperatures start to trend upward next week as we begin the slow climb toward Spring. #PAwx pic.twitter.com/J8sDgIy3cV