Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Central PA - Late Dec 2019/Jan 2020

MAG5035

2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I know it's nice to reminisce about 1993, but can we please talk more about THIS event? I'm trying to get upstream obs and info so I can follow and anticipate what's coming next. Right now, it has almost stopped "precipitating" here. When I measured we had nice moderate snow, then it turned into almost like a light sleet mist, and now has almost stopped entirely. Not sure what to make of it.

Sorry Steve...

One thing I think will happen is that once precip shuts off this evening, we'll have a several hour period where temps spike above freezing in advance of the cold front. I think the worst driving is right now and things should improve greatly as the evening wears on. 

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Sorry Steve...

One thing I think will happen is that once precip shuts off this evening, we'll have a several hour period where temps spike above freezing in advance of the cold front. I think the worst driving is right now and things should improve greatly as the evening wears on. 

I am hoping the CAD holds for us in some manner as if the damn breaks and the HRRR/GFS depictions are right we are going into the 40's south of the turnpike. 

14 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Back to snow

That’s encouraging! Hopefully I switch back as well.

Right now the sleet is pounding away. 

@Itstrainingtime , I just measured.3 of sleet, to got along with the 1.5 of snow, which brings me to 1.8 frozen for the event so far. I only need .2 more for your forecast to verify here !

7 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

@Itstrainingtime , I just measured.3 of sleet, to got along with the 1.5 of snow, which brings me to 1.8 frozen for the event so far. I only need .2 more for your forecast to verify here !

It would be technically correct, however in honest disclosure my original call was for 2-4" of SNOW before the changeover. If you give me credit for the win, I'll take it! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Nowhere close to that around my house. Good for you!

Looking down the road, the 12z GEFS is still very interested in next weekend for a potential Winter storm for us back here in the interior.

It has a Miller B set up with a Storm developing along the coast. This certainly bears watching. We are at peak climo for temps, & there is some cold around. It just needs to be cold enough with a decent track.

6CBB417A-02F1-406B-A6FC-DD94C6726F68.png

49093C36-356C-4D5A-AA81-DB4B58F93529.png

Well, we've been sleet for about 2 hours now, do I suppose were done with any quick accumulations at this point. Surface temps haven't really budged all afternoon (20 to now 24), but upstairs must have warmed quite a bit. 

One thing we didn't see is the "sleet bomb" that some others did. It's been mostly light to where it was more like a misty freezing drizzle. Even now, I have to really look at the streetlight to see if it's doing anything.

The end is quickly approaching as the models had the end in here by 0Z.  I still have sleet with just a hint of freezing rain mixed in, enough to create a small crunch to the snow as I walked on it from my car.  I'm going with 0.8" of snow and 0.5" of sleet.  There could have been a little more sleet but I'm working without a board at the moment.  So 1.3" snow/frozen with a trace of zr on top should do it.  Temp is up to 30.2 degrees now.

@Blizzard of 93  You always find a way to post something optimistic...lol...in this case the almost snowstorm next Saturday.  I'm glad we might have something to track during the upcoming week.  All the sleet should slow down the melting of the snowpack considerably.  I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts until Wednesday or Thursday.  Anyway, thank you for your posts and updates.  Very much appreciated!:)

1 minute ago, CarlislePaWx said:

The end is quickly approaching as the models had the end in here by 0Z.  I still have sleet with just a hint of freezing rain mixed in, enough to create a small crunch to the snow as I walked on it from my car.  I'm going with 0.8" of snow and 0.5" of sleet.  There could have been a little more sleet but I'm working without a board at the moment.  So 1.3" snow/frozen with a trace of zr on top should do it.

@Blizzard of 93  You always find a way to post something optimistic...lol...in this case the almost snowstorm next Saturday.  I'm glad we might have something to track during the upcoming week.  All the sleet should slow down the melting of the snowpack considerably.  I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts until Wednesday or Thursday.  Anyway, thank you for your posts and updates.  Very much appreciated!:)

Thanks man, I love winter weather & am always looking for the next storm to track.

Just got in from getting everything cleaned up, we're getting patches of straight freezing rain now, with temps still near or slightly below 32ºF making for a nice glaze on everything. Totals were 1.2" of snow and 0.8" of sleet, making for an even 2.0" total... tied for the biggest snowfall of the season here lol. Roads and especially back streets are quite messy. 

Mesowest obs show temps have rocketed into the 40s in western PA and up to 37ºF now in JST. 

41 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

The end is quickly approaching as the models had the end in here by 0Z.  I still have sleet with just a hint of freezing rain mixed in, enough to create a small crunch to the snow as I walked on it from my car.  I'm going with 0.8" of snow and 0.5" of sleet.  There could have been a little more sleet but I'm working without a board at the moment.  So 1.3" snow/frozen with a trace of zr on top should do it.  Temp is up to 30.2 degrees now.

We are going to need Blizz to keep us going as verbatim the LR models are literally punting into the second week of Feb.  Jeff Feagles and Ray Guy are red with embarrassment as to how much punting they are doing.