Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Late Dec 2019/Jan 2020

MAG5035

9 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Snow has started here, 25ºF. Saw NWS Pittsburgh post about having 1.1" with that initial band of snowfall earlier so hopefully can get a fast start here. 

Please let us know how that initial band does for you.

Also, do you think the precip will begin to fill in more between the initial band & the main shield in Ohio ?

11 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Please let us know how that initial band does for you.

Also, do you think the precip will begin to fill in more between the initial band & the main shield in Ohio ?

Well, got the heavy echoes overhead and there's fine pingers mixed in already. So that's not really the start I was looking for. But we'll see how the column responds.

Edit: Starting to get the big flakes

8 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Well, got the heavy echoes overhead and there's fine pingers mixed in already. So that's not really the start I was looking for. But we'll see how the column responds.

Edit: Starting to get the big flakes

Nice !

CTP Radar is showing the precip filling in behind the initial band over the western half of PA.

4314055B-479C-4BE3-A31E-5DC55B91361D.gif

Okay, over to all snow now coming down hard.

@Blizzard of 93 the gap in precip doesn't look too large on PBZ radar, plus we've had some building of the initial wave of precip moving in from the western counties. I don't think we'll see too long of a lull in the precip, which is probably good because the really brief bout of sleet indicates to me that there was some robust warming aloft and the heavy precip wet bulbed that portion of the column back below freezing. Will have to see what it does once this heavy portion gets through here and the precip lightens up some. But yea, don't be surprised if that opening wave has a couple pingers in it when it gets to H-burg.

Steady moderate snow now, it is definitely a nice wintry morning out there with temps in the low 20s and a stiff breeze. Pretty fluffy snow. 

Shared this with the Pittsburgh folks and might as well throw it over here too, as it has implications for us downstream as well. Their 12z weather balloon launch this morning, so that's where the atmosphere is actually at and not where it's modeled at. Mentioned last night how high res models like the HRRR were collapsing the snow line south when it got into central and the Sus Valley, well that weather balloon sounding would be how that would happen even if there's a bit of a lull ahead of the main stuff and temps aloft sneak above freezing. 

1164152692_ScreenShot2020-01-18at7_28_49AM.png.224fe3b48ab0e07ede8b4f619738204b.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Nice !

CTP Radar is showing the precip filling in behind the initial band over the western half of PA.

4314055B-479C-4BE3-A31E-5DC55B91361D.gif

As expected, the very first wave out ahead of the 25-30dbz band was virga. Time to run to the store before the 1st actual band gets here. 

What do you think, MAG, for my far eastern area of CTP? All snow, or does that warm nose make it here as well?

2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

As expected, the very first wave out ahead of the 25-30dbz band was virga. Time to run to the store before the 1st actual band gets here. 

What do you think, MAG, for my far eastern area of CTP? All snow, or does that warm nose make it here as well?

I definitely think mostly frozen.. I bet you probably mix at some point but it would be sleet. CTP has you in 4-6" which I think is doable for you.. since your so far east and your also north too I'm sure you'll at least get to advisory criteria fairly easily as your pretty safely in the deeper CAD.

Really interested to see what happens with this main wave just getting ready to get to Pittsburgh, it looks quite heavy and that gap between waves is closing up pretty fast. I see a couple mPing reports of snow across the border in Ohio under that heavy stuff.

5 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

I definitely think mostly frozen.. I bet you probably mix at some point but it would be sleet. CTP has you in 4-6" which I think is doable for you.. since your so far east and your also north too I'm sure you'll at least get to advisory criteria fairly easily as your pretty safely in the deeper CAD.

Really interested to see what happens with this main wave just getting ready to get to Pittsburgh, it looks quite heavy and that gap between waves is closing up pretty fast. I see a couple mPing reports of snow across the border in Ohio under that heavy stuff.

Sounds good, thanks! Perhaps this is one of those nice little overachievers...