Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Late Dec 2019/Jan 2020

MAG5035

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Was it 2 years ago in February we hit 78 and were under tornado warnings?

We did hit 70 at least once in the last year or two and as @daxx said it seems more common in recent winters but I was thinking it is still farily rare when taking all winters, maybe since 1950, into consideration. We have a stats guy on here...who was it, @Jns2183 maybe?

15 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We did hit 70 at least once in the last year or two and as @daxx said it seems more common in recent winters but I was thinking it is still farily rare when taking all winters, maybe since 1950, into consideration. We have a stats guy on here...who was it, @Jns2183 maybe?

I just did a QUICK scan back to Dec 2010 for any days in Dec-Feb that reached 68 or higher.  There is a decent chance I missed one or two but these are most of them. Just listing months and temps.

Feb 2011 (1)-68

Dec 2013(1)-70

Feb 2017(5) 68,68,69,75,76

Feb 2018(2) 77,79

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I just did a QUICK scan back to Dec 2010 for any days in Dec-Feb that reached 68 or higher.  There is a decent chance I missed one or two but these are most of them. Just listing months and temps.

Feb 2011 (1)-68

Dec 2013(1)-70

Feb 2017(5) 68,68,69,75,76

Feb 2018(2) 77,79

Yea...I went back and looked as well.  Of course Mike is right again! Lol  February in the past several years have been king for 70s.

10 minutes ago, daxx said:

Yea...I went back and looked as well.  Of course Mike is right again! Lol  February in the past several years have been king for 70s.

LOL, I was more posting for my own info vs. yours guys discussion.  I do not have time to check now but guessing if you did the other decades back to 1950's it was at least a little less common.  The 2017/2018 seasons skewed this last decade high. 

Edit-Blizz (and maybe Nut) are probably steaming seeing posts about temps in the 70's but this is a weather board not just a winter weather board.  I like discussing extremes.  :-)

31 minutes ago, daxx said:

I remember calling my parents in Maytown and telling them to get in the basement. 

I remember watching the radar on a Saturday afternoon and following along on the boards when out of nowhere a few posters from nowhere close to here started posting about the ominous conditions in our area. Sure enough, the tornado warnings started coming quickly...

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I remember watching the radar on a Saturday afternoon and following along on the boards when out of nowhere a few posters from nowhere close to here started posting about the ominous conditions in our area. Sure enough, the tornado warnings started coming quickly...

An EF-1 tornado was confirmed near Wrightsville that day.  I didn't even have a drop of rain that day. Nothing but sun and 70s.

21 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

LOL, I was more posting for my own info vs. yours guys discussion.  I do not have time to check now but guessing if you did the other decades back to 1950's it was at least a little less common.  The 2017/2018 seasons skewed this last decade high. 

Edit-Blizz (and maybe Nut) are probably steaming seeing posts about temps in the 70's but this is a weather board not just a winter weather board.  I like discussing extremes.  :-)

I agree. I like all weather extremes.  I'd rather it snow but living here that's not going to happen all the time. 

Edit: I should have said most of the time.

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Was it 2 years ago in February we hit 78 and were under tornado warnings?

Yes, that’s the time that I was upset about the warm up.  I had told you that there was no way that we would go over 70... but you were right & we almost hit 80 !

Then, after that, things got really good with -NAO blocking & we got hit with that good snowstorm with over a foot in the middle of March.

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Ha ha! I’m not upset. I love anytime that this board gets a good discussion going.

@pasnownut is too busy now with his snowmobile in upstate NY to be worried about the warm up talk.

I am very comforted by knowing that this warm up is temporary. We only have 5 days until winter returns. The best days of this winter will be starting next weekend!

25 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, that’s the time that I was upset about the warm up.  I had told you that there was no way that we would go over 70... but you were right & we almost hit 80 !

Then, after that, things got really good with -NAO blocking & we got hit with that good snowstorm with over a foot in the middle of March.

Actually...now that you brought this up, you argued with me that "there was no way we would reach 60"

I went back and looked. :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

If it was sunny and 35 today I wouldn't be here...but I am, and others are, because it's going to be a +30 degree departure from normal today. And that is worth discussing.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, daxx said:

I could be totally wrong but to me it seems 70s have been occurring in December and January more often. Then once we hit February through the beginning of April it's a struggle to hit 70. 

Winter has failed to start until February and Spring has failed to start until June recently. 

We did hit 70 at least once in the last year or two and as [mention=555]daxx[/mention] said it seems more common in recent winters but I was thinking it is still farily rare when taking all winters, maybe since 1950, into consideration. We have a stats guy on here...who was it, [mention=4667]Jns2183[/mention] maybe?

I’ll look into it later this afternoon

. Pro