Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Late Dec 2019/Jan 2020

MAG5035

2 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

MDT at the 5 pm daily update had measured 2.9 inches of snow today.

Between 5pm & 6pm, MDT recorded another .08 of precip, so the snow total at the final daily summary overnight will go up. 

With a couple of hours of light snow, maybe MDT will cross the 4 inch mark for this event as well.

From 5pm onward, MDT had .12  of additional precip. So, the final snow total for the event at MDT should end up at 4 inches at the final daily summary.

The next great thing that can happen after a snowfall is if the winds stay calm the temps can really plummet.  I've dropped 10 degrees from the 32 that I had at the end of the snowfall and am now sitting at 21.6 degrees and continuing to slowly sink.  The moment the winds arrive it'll go back up, but for now I can enjoy my well-preserved fresh snowpack.  :snowwindow:

• Like 1

I forgot to mention earlier that the calm winds also needed to be accompanied by clear skies.  Well, they're completely clear now with the moon shining brightly.  No winds.  Temp down to 19.9 after briefly touching 19.6.  Might see lows dropping down into the mid teens depending on how long the clear/calm lasts.  I wouldn't be surprised to see THV reach 10 degrees.  We'll see.

Edit>>After posting this I checked out York and they were 15 degrees at 11pm.  Will probably reach 10 or even single digits briefly if the clear/calm can last a few more hours into the night.

6z NAM for the win this morning haha. I mentioned first thing this morning that the NAM with the Cobb method had a stripe of 6”+ running the far southern tier... indicating better than 10:1 ratios as that method incorporates ratios in the snow growth zones in the column. 700mb forcing was likely pretty good and we had a cold column. The rates were enough to overcome initially marginal surface temps and realize most of the accum potential via ratios. I’d be curious what those 4-6” amounts melt down to.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

Belated happy Birthday Jon! Hope u enjoyed your snow :)

Thank you

I'm putting this in the books at 3.5"

Nobody is talking about the freezing rain? Probably around 530ish we were hanging out outside having cocktails and the snow turned to rain. My Truck was encased in ice this morning and my doors were frozen shut had to let it run for 20 minutes to thaw doors out. Even all the power lines are drooping and our power flickered several times.

1 hour ago, Flatheadsickness said:

numerous squalls are starting to fire to the west and north west this morning stay safe.

58 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Very impressive on radar and moving pretty quickly towards the LSV. A particularly intense squall is pretty close to @Wmsptwx currently. 

There was a good one inbound from the Milton area, but as usual, I-80 and the I-81 ridge top is eating most of it up. It's amazing how winter squalls and summer thunderstorms can traverse the entire state, crossing many ridges and valleys,  but as soon as they hit I-81, poof...gone.

1 hour ago, sauss06 said:

Thank you

I'm putting this in the books at 3.5"

Nobody is talking about the freezing rain? Probably around 530ish we were hanging out outside having cocktails and the snow turned to rain. My Truck was encased in ice this morning and my doors were frozen shut had to let it run for 20 minutes to thaw doors out. Even all the power lines are drooping and our power flickered several times.

Happy belated bud!  Beer stuck in snow is a great thing!!

• Like 1