Newest Member
    Dano62
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Everything tossed 

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t see any way next weekend is snow 

Lol....This weekend you were so sure this was a big hit(Dec 92 similarities and all), when there were clear signs it wasn't gonna be.  Now you're doing the reverse Psych act for next weekend lol.  I guess the previous positive/big snower act didn't work, so go with the negative/reverse psychology idea on this one.  You'll get it right eventually.  

But Next Sunday/ Monday is a long shot too...so keep the expectations low.

16 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

People have been dropping thru shady ice left and right this past week.

Must be larger lakes?  I saw people out ice fishing back in December and this week has been colder with temps in the single numbers almost every night.  I haven't been by those places since then but I would have thought that the ice would be OK after this week.

I fished a smaller lake near me yesterday and found 6-7" of good ice with some junk on top. I was actually surprised how good it was. I think the warm ups make larger inconsistencies though, especially near moving water, springs, ext. You definetely have to be more careful venturing out. I know that lake well though and section I was on iced over in early Dec

17 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Given how snowy it was our winter forecasts should've been pretty good. But we ended up accurately warning 91% of the warning events that occured, but falsely warned at a rate of 37%. 

In a winter where Boston has more snow than Farmington, and Machias more than twice as much as Fort Kent, it's no surprise that forecasting accuracy suffers a bit.  :D

10 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

I fished a smaller lake near me yesterday and found 6-7" of good ice with some junk on top. I was actually surprised how good it was. I think the warm ups make larger inconsistencies though, especially near moving water, springs, ext. You definetely have to be more careful venturing out. I know that lake well though and section I was on iced over in early Dec

Yeah you have to be very careful about where on the ice you are. There was a pretty large pond/lake near me growing up that always had a bit of a cove section that would be iced over really early and had no running water near it....that part would be safe for skating even in the garbage winters....other parts of the lake you definitely could not be on unless it had been frigid for at least a week to 10 days....so in those bad winters, you may never be safe out there. There was also some areas that had little streams and such flowing into them and those parts were also less safe. Local knowledge makes a difference for sure.

Just now, tamarack said:

In a winter where Boston has more snow than Farmington, and Machias more than twice as much as Fort Kent, it's no surprise that forecasting accuracy suffers a bit.  :D

While somewhat true, in general the more events we have the better our stats tend to get. I can basically reverse engineer what our probability of detection should be for instrument flight rules (IFR) based on the amount of IFR conditions we experience over a period of time. Similar to snow events. The more warning events we have, the better our detection rate/false alarm should be. 

Individual events can throw that off because a single winter isn't a large sample size of course. Valentine's Day did a number on us, as well as the events in December. But we did well during November and the late January Scooter's Revenge event. 

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

While somewhat true, in general the more events we have the better our stats tend to get. I can basically reverse engineer what our probability of detection should be for instrument flight rules (IFR) based on the amount of IFR conditions we experience over a period of time. Similar to snow events. The more warning events we have, the better our detection rate/false alarm should be. 

Individual events can throw that off because a single winter isn't a large sample size of course. Valentine's Day did a number on us, as well as the events in December. But we did well during November and the late January Scooter's Revenge event. 

I was checking forecasts for that one from SNJ where we were visiting family, and seem to recall that So. Franklin was in the 8-12 zone and we got a dense cold 20", though that 'cast may not have been the latest pre-arrival update - was using a borrowed laptop that wasn't always free for use.  Anyway, that storm was the most powerful January blizzard to hit my at-the-time current residence in my lifetime - only the JFK inaugural storm (NNJ) comes close - and all I got to do was snowblow the driveway as we got home about 12 hours after final flakes.  :(

35 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah you have to be very careful about where on the ice you are. There was a pretty large pond/lake near me growing up that always had a bit of a cove section that would be iced over really early and had no running water near it....that part would be safe for skating even in the garbage winters....other parts of the lake you definitely could not be on unless it had been frigid for at least a week to 10 days....so in those bad winters, you may never be safe out there. There was also some areas that had little streams and such flowing into them and those parts were also less safe. Local knowledge makes a difference for sure.

Yeah, I think that you have to know where you are going.  Some of the stories of people going out on rivers or on larger bodies of water without knowing for sure are just sad...no need for those accidents.

3 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

To be fair, many of those are from before this past week.  Also, one was someone on a river and another was someone walking through a swamp.  You need really cold conditions for a long while to freeze a swamp and even then I've felt soft ground.

Well I can tell you that the bodies of water I pass daily, I would not venture out on to.  None are frozen over completely.