• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

Just to put things in perspective....and this by no means guarantees we're going to drastically turn things around....but as BOS currently sits at 14.6 inches of snow for the winter....here's some past years:

For BOS:

Winter...........1/23 snow.....final snow

2016-2017........10.4............47.6

2014-2015.........5.5.............110.6

2012-2013.........7.6.............63.4

2002-2003.......12.1.............71.3

1996-1997.......13.8.............51.2  (hey sometimes it just takes one storm to make it worth it)

1992-1993........20.0............83.9

1971-1972.......15.5.............47.5

1968-1969.........5.7.............53.8

1966-1967........9.9..............60.1

1957-1958........5.4.............44.8 (but probably double that at Rt 128)

1955-1956.......11.8............60.9

Heck, even last year had what, 2 inches at this point in BOS? It didn't finish above normal, but there were several decent events and the March 4th blitz.

The 2014-2015 turnaround is not believable unless you lived through it. 100 years from now weenies are going to be making fun of that season claiming how ridiculous it was that humans were measuring the snow and not perfectly calibrated robots....just like we make fun of those 1800s "snow up to thy knickers" totals now.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If you enjoy morphine drips of HRRR and water vapor images of missed storms, Ginx is full blown motor boating 20 kilos of cocaine with GOES 16 looping on the Dell. I give the man props for disrobing to storms that have zero impact for him. 

I really enjoy Meteorology, no surprise the younger generation is the me me. There are exceptions like Ocean State but for the most part its screw every one else. Jackpot only or wishing rains to Maine.  Sure we all like a great snowstorm but my point is it's even enjoyable watching the weather unfold outside YBY. You can also learn a lot about microclimates, dynamics. Some here just forget about a storm if it rains in there backyard.  I like to try to understand why it rained and enjoy watching others get slammed.  I think I have gained a lot of knowledge by observing, just my thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just to put things in perspective....and this by no means guarantees we're going to drastically turn things around....but as BOS currently sits at 14.6 inches of snow for the winter....here's some past years:

For BOS:

Winter...........1/23 snow.....final snow

2016-2017........10.4............47.6

2014-2015.........5.5.............110.6

2012-2013.........7.6.............63.4

2002-2003.......12.1.............71.3

1996-1997.......13.8.............51.2  (hey sometimes it just takes one storm to make it worth it)

1992-1993........20.0............83.9

1971-1972.......15.5.............47.5

1968-1969.........5.7.............53.8

1966-1967........9.9..............60.1

1957-1958........5.4.............44.8 (but probably double that at Rt 128)

1955-1956.......11.8............60.9

Heck, even last year had what, 2 inches at this point in BOS? It didn't finish above normal, but there were several decent events and the March 4th blitz.

The 2014-2015 turnaround is not believable unless you lived through it. 100 years from now weenies are going to be making fun of that season claiming how ridiculous it was that humans were measuring the snow and not perfectly calibrated robots....just like we make fun of those 1800s "snow up to thy knickers" totals now.

where are the ratter years?

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I really enjoy Meteorology, no surprise the younger generation is the me me. There are exceptions like Ocean State but for the most part its screw every one else. Jackpot only or wishing rains to Maine.  Sure we all like a great snowstorm but my point is it's even enjoyable watching the weather unfold outside YBY. You can also learn a lot about microclimates, dynamics. Some here just forget about a storm if it rains in there backyard.  I like to try to understand why it rained and enjoy watching others get slammed.  I think I have gained a lot of knowledge by observing, just my thing.

I enjoy extraordinary weather outside MBY, like a major hurricane, but 1' or 2 of snow needs to fall IMBY for me to GAFF.

I don't care about snow in remote mountain villages.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I enjoy extraordinary weather outside MBY, like a major hurricane, but 1' or 2 of snow needs to fall IMBY for me to GAFF.

I don't care about snow in remote mountain villages.

It's funny you think anything in New England is a remote mountain village. Maybe a few in NE Maine .Its not about caring but about science to me

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I know Steve, we kid. I do admire your enthusiasm. 

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The govt will be cloning jspins for the NWS.

Its also definitely been rougher for the coast.

ORH sits at 32.5 inches of snow right now. If you run the years, ORH airport has never finished below 60 inches of snow for the season when they have at least 32" by this date. The sample size of that list is 26 seasons since 1948.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I would take a few locally for sure.

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Laser measurements are not far off. Just shine it down into your yard

The NY mesonet is doing their depth with lasers right now. I would love an ASOS-like mesonet in every county/zone.

57 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Agreed. Spain is getting slammed with a storm now. I enjoy watching those events even though they're happening across the ocean.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

LOL, just have them recruit students from chemical/biomedical graduate programs.  We literally train for decades to make meticulous observations, manipulate small samples, and measure them with accuracy and precision.  I guess all you have to do is somehow get them interested in snow.