Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Some think so some dont. Like I said you can point to a reason and the next year the same thing happens and poof. We try and fail every winter. I am totally convinced LR is voodoo for the most part.  

"LR is voodoo" is a copout. Its predictable, but we just aren't there yet. I think I, along with some others have held their own TBH.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

24 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

"LR is voodoo" is a copout. Its predictable, but we just aren't there yet. I think I, along with some others have held their own TBH.

I think it’s more of a joke vs many thinking no skill or pure voodoo. There is some skill. I know when I say it, I’m doing it in a jokingly way. 

39 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't believe it is as predictable as many think. Amount of seasonal Snow is just one variable. When it gets more accurate with temps, precip and type of precip then it will be predictable 

Being right for the wrong reasons doesn't cut it either. Success at a high measurable rate over a decade would convince me. We are not there yet.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

we can't even forecast a storm 7 days out.. 

TBH, pinning down an individual storm track to within 50 mi at day 7 is not much easier than capturing the overall tenor of a season at few months of lead time. I mean, what you said sounds viscerally logical, until you actually think about it...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I don't believe it is aspredictable as many think. Amount of seasonal Snow is just one variable. When it gets more accurate with temps, precip and type of precip then it will be predictable 

Being right for the wrong reasons doesn't cut it either. Success at a high measurable rate over a decade would convince me. We are not there yet.

You pretty much echoed what I just said. We aren't there yet, but I see progress...both personally, and professionally, where it actually matters.

Totally agree on right for the wrong reason, but I also feel like missing with respect to one index is different than missing on everything..I think we just need to acknowledge the error.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

I don't believe it is as predictable as many think. Amount of seasonal Snow is just one variable. When it gets more accurate with temps, precip and type of precip then it will be predictable 

We have some skill. I don’t have the stats to back it up, but it seems like lately we have a lot of volatility vs like pre 2015. I think 15-16 was the last real successful call that I can remember, but we also know it was a strong nino.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

We have some skill. I don’t have the stats to back it up, but it seems like lately we have a lot of volatility vs like pre 2015. I think 15-16 was the last real successful call that I can remember, but we also know it was a strong nino.

Sure when you get one overwhelming signal it's easier but when it's the normally mixed signals, all bets are off. I am not speaking of just the Northeast either.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sure when you get one overwhelming signal it's easier but when it's the normally mixed signals, all bets are off. I am not speaking of just the Northeast either.

Tough pill for me to swallow blowing 2015-16, aside from getting the blizzard right...missed a hanging curve. :axe:

• Like 1

I think there is a difference between calling for 2009-2010-verifying 2011-2012, and calling for big NAO/AO blocking, but getting big EPO blocking instead. I don't think the latter is a total whiff, as there is something to be said for accurately predicting a seasonal proclivity for energy transfer into the polar domain. I just think its important to note that in hindsight, and not Judah everyone.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s been like pulling teeth with the NAO to go negative. We’ve had brief stretches (hell a month in 2018), but it’s been all out positive overall as you said. At some point it will turn around though. Just like our stretch of favorable PAC regimes will turn too and possibly become more unfavorable.

How strong is the correlation between ENSO and the NAO/AO? Seems like weak ENSO events (Niña or Niño) are more volatile and could go either way. Perhaps the lack of Atlantic blocking in recent years could be attributed to sea ice loss in the summer and heat release. 

25 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Man I am not convinced this winter will be better than last winter here.  It is possible that we end up with less snow.  However, 11" is quite easy to beat given I am at 7.45" right now.  We just need 4" more.  I think March will be a snow filled month with several large blizzards.

Lol nothing like saying one thing(saying you may end up with less snow) then saying the exact opposite in the same post(Several large blizzards in March).  

#inconsistentjames 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Lol nothing like saying one thing(saying you may end up with less snow) then saying the exact opposite in the same post(Several large blizzards in March).  

#inconsistentjames 

Lol, yes that was me being a moron and an emotional weather enthusiast who wants to see amazing snowstorms, but the norm is against that happening especially for my neighborhood.  So I should be more realistic in my ideology 

• Weenie 3

5 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Lol, yes that was me being a moron and an emotional weather enthusiast who wants to see amazing snowstorms, but the norm is against that happening especially for my neighborhood.  So I should be more realistic in my ideology 

say this to yourself every time before you post, every...single...time!   Until you move to Stowe or Northern NH or ME, where you might actually get the amount of snow you want.

• Haha 1