• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

It's also still a pallid look overall.. .

We need some fresh infusion of dynamics ...typically via the N/stream on the way by, and no run or model type to date appears very interested in supplying any.  Otherwise, that's weak sauce - someone said a boring solution yesterday?  Not my word but wondering if that's apropos at the moment. 

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Can envision every boob in the region just  sagging to ground 

Yeah I said that ... but, hm... The run looks a shave cooler overall, but it's still really weak.   I mean this thing is acting in the runs like an early April meandering ULLs that gets over sold by mid range guidance typically.   If it were April... it's January 26th at go time so - 

The only similarity this thing - at the moment - has comparing 1992 or 1997 is the quasi cut-off nature.  Not much else.

3 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

don't see big changes on the EPS from 6z, anyone else seeing anything of note?

Shade warmer and west but still colder than OP.

Not a huge trend but pretty much expected based on the OP run going west a bit. 

46 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Seriously, looks like Spring cutoff season.

It does ... Scott's making Hadley Cell jokes but I don't think that's this... Just my opinion, but the termination latitude appears to have receded for the time being.  

That factor aside, I do believe with increasing confidence, however, that it gets more difficult to maintain marginal at our latitude, comparing say...50 years ago ( during the 1970's local time scale Global cooling event...)... hell, I'd take the 1990s over this. 

It seems we become increasing more directly reliant upon some form of direct -EPO, or at least or ephemerally -related delivery to insert cold, or we swing and flip/bounce back proportionately warmer.  We've been lucking in recent years from the NP-Lakes NE regions, with the 2013-2014 through 2016 year... and that may skew existentially what is going on. But times of fast flat and velocity saturation, marked by excessive cold along the 50th parallel, kissing tornado hodos to Indianapolis, seems to terminate out into this sort of blase thing in the middle of winter when it does more frequently, and even in this big winters there... it seems there was capacity to flip dramatically with bigger disparate air mass between warm sectors and cold sides. 

It's a tough argument to sell. Much in the same way the HC has an amorphous poorly distinguishable termination with the westerlies...  this alteration on seasonal patterning is also more smeared ..at times grossly obviously ( like that modeled look right now..) at others, more subtle.

47 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Actually some marginal wet snow over interior that run despite that way west initial ULL. Won't take much correction to get that better....

You know and ya wonder ...if/when the other climate shoe drops. 

Been musing with Bob and Kevina over the last hour about the spring vibe to the look, and it really seems it should be hard to maintain that for this long ...in the guidance, and actually get that to happen that way.  I mean, meandering ULLs supplying pocket cold is really frankly a pretty bizarre look the last 10 days of January, ... but I guess add that to the list, huh -

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You know and ya wonder ...if/when the other climate shoe drops. 

Been musing with Bob and Kevina over the last hour about the spring vibe to the look, and it really seems it should be hard to maintain that for this long ...in the guidance, and actually get that to happen that way.  I mean, meandering ULLs supplying pocket cold is really frankly a pretty bizarre look the last 10 days of January, ... but I guess add that to the list, huh -

Looks like El Niño. 

Jan '83 and Jan '98 come to mind. 

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1998/us0129.php

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1983/us0123.php

Though I do recall a blue blitz in early January 2006 and that wasn't a Niño...similar puke look though

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2006/us0103.php

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks like El Niño. 

Jan '83 and Jan '98 come to mind. 

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1998/us0129.php

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1983/us0123.php

Though I do recall a blue blitz in early January 2006 and that wasn't a Niño...similar puke look though

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2006/us0103.php

I remember the Jan 2006 event...no bueno in eastern Mass.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

So MJO progs today show emergence out of cod late month briefly into 6 before going back into cod.  Weeklies should be interesting 

That's what has really been screwing with models looking in the medium-to-long range...the MJO has been on the active side and given the models struggle with the MJO it's yielded extremely uncertainty moving forward. Even short-term...there is uncertainty with how the MJO behaves before its signals weakens. 

Anyways...I think things are looking rather volatile moving towards the end of the month into February. I don't see any signals to lock-in cold for a pro-longed period...but this is something which I think is a bit overrated...especially given we're moving through the meat of climo. 

One signal which remains strong is how the Pacific looks to evolve with a very strong signal for a major EPO ridge to build across the NPAC. Would it be nice for the NAO/AO to be negative too...absolutely, but what I think to look for would be periods where they are "less positive" or becoming "less positive"...this signal can yield a brief influx of a colder airmas and then you just take your chances with timing with any storms...in which the pattern should be active. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is actually good continuity on the 12z GFS from 06z...Same pathway of the ULL underneath LI, but just a bit weaker of a system...noise at this range.

Some a viewing the output through IMBY goggles.

Ensembles are where it as it right now, anyway...was just curious.

GEFS did trend a bit north, but I'd worry more about that at day 2-3.