Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

8 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I haven't seen anything solid yet, there was a 3.4" reported by the Paradise Cocorahs but his obs seem questionable at times. That qpf seems high to me given the feel of the snow out there. I was thinking more than 10:1 but less than 15:1. 

North Foster RI coop had 4.95 in 78 with about 40 inches reported. Only measured once a day. We had some 25 foot drifts but your area looks more impressive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that's pretty crazy. A little December '92-esque though better climo period for coast. 

Though I'm always hesitant to throw that storm around. It had far more close contours at h5. But same type of high setup on somewhat marginal airmasses, the fact they are both cutoffs, and that deep layer easterly flow. 

That's funny you mention that, because that's what I was not really wanting to get into after the lengthier expose earlier - one diatribe a day is all the collective attention span has the patience for ..haha... Seriously, that's very close to getting us into one of those total troposphere E anomaly deals. GGEM hints at closing 250 mb.  When ever you have that thick of a tube of mass moving into a baroclinic instability that's marginal?  That's where you get your grid failures and a couple days waiting for the n-guard to bring in pack choppers.    

That's what'd be if that '92 happened on cryo climate.  

I don't have a problem with bandying comparisons ... In a way, you could throw April '97 into that mix, too. Deepening ( not filling ) ULL with concatenation of multi-sigma level isohypses is a destablizing column that really revs the QPF machinery.

• Weenie 1

You could tell two days before that happened up there they were doomed.

That system was hemming and hawing all week in the GEFs members and most in here ignored it in lieu ( at the time ) of the last nights, which turned into an overrunning thing, stating it was too insignificant. Ha.

Well, down our way it certainly wasn't memorable, but I thought it was fascinating that while popularity had it ignorable, that little 1.5"er that swept through here pre-dawn was converting in the models to a monster - no one mentioned... I let it go. Oops. Man, absolutely went through some extraordinary B-gen kinematics NE of the Benchmark, and just as modeled ... it drove a freak CCB jet anomaly around the NW-W-and even SW arcs of the core.  Really fantastically modeled... unsung hero - The standard graphics couldn't handle the pressure packing and it was like a sharpie was applied to weather chart.  Gee, maybe the mid trop, 2,000 naut mile long, by 300 naut wide wind stream at 130 kts punching off the upper M/A isn't such a hot idea, huh - that's probably 5th time I've seen an obscene 500 mb jet max that strong this season. 

Meanwhile last night's event... piddling and barely pedestrian isn't nearly as memorable.   Or is it...I dunno

8 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

I’m all for a coastal.  Even if it’s rain here, let’s crank up the seas. 

Watch the position of the High pressure and how this trends across modeling .

18z Gefs has great timing w regards to it being over N Maine 

with a marginal airmass and a juicy system we can’t afford this High  sliding east 18 hours earlier 

Early indications are latitude will help  in SNE 

• Like 1

Interesting overnight weather tonight for the Cape and ACK.  A shortwave over NYC swings through quite robustly with a surface system developing off to the east.  A front swings through and there could be some decent precipitation rates for an hour as it passes through.  Also models show abundant moisture between the surface and around 800mb through tomorrow evening for CHH.  This will likely lead to some cloudy weather and perhaps a few snow showers.  HI resolution models show potential for sustained northerly winds tomorrow afternoon into Tuesday, this could lead to a better event, just don't know if the snowfall rates will be there.

• Weenie 5

7 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

NYC received 20 inches in a stale cold airmass in Feb. 2010 (rained to Maine). Even down this way received 8 once the storm became vertically stacked. Obviously different setup however anything is possible.

Back in the -NAO days of yore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1