Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

41 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

There aren’t many seasonal folks calling for an early spring. Is that what your friend Cranky is saying?

I’ve been calling for it since issued winter forecast late Oct. What may bust is it comes in sooner and spring just hits in early Feb. TBD

Here is what I put out back in Oct

Quick thoughts on winter:
I’ve been getting a lot of questions on the upcoming winter , so will just lay out thoughts . Overall it looks to be a fairly normal winter snowfall and temp wise. For example, the Tolland area averages about 60” of snow per year. I think we will fall somewhere in the 55-65” range. It doesn’t appear like it will be overly snowy with above normal snowfall. Nor does it appear that we’ll have a terrible winter with very little snow. There will be a fairly sharp gradient this year of haves vs have nots. I would guess that area is the NYC to south coast area. Near and south of that line may not see that much snow . As you head farther north that should steadily increase . Temps are likely to average a bit above normal . We’ll have our share of arctic outbreaks, but there should also be times of milder weather . There may also be higher than normal potential of a significant icestorm this year . I could see quite a few icing events happening , especially earlier in the season. Lastly , I think this year we see the trends of recent years where winter starts late and ends late reverse. I think it starts late Nov/early Dec and ends late Feb or early March . December for a change could be fairly wintry , especially if we see a -NAO kick in as long range guidance is picking up on. January may end up as the “easiest going” month of the winter before February sees another good wintry month set in. If it goes according to plan , spring comes in early -mid March instead of May like recent years. That’s pretty much my thought process , laying it out there. Trying to predict the future is never easy . Hopefully the flakes fly early and often !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wdrag said:

Holding off on starting this as a topic (25th-26th) till i see a little better chance for an inch or 2 of snow LI...  i do think this is something to watch. Great Lakes low with a possible secondary L to the mid Atlantic coast. Marginal temps for snow-ice in an above normal temp regime during the coldest time of the year.  Maps posted are several LR tools... stats.  Only rather low chance of ensembles 3+ I84 corridor at this time. Nicely modeled (GFS  version) confluence zone se Canada giving us a chance of a sfc high to the north and definite good 500 mb jet structure for an event...but is it all rain. Lets see what happens. 

AT 654AM I added the GEFS plumes for LGA.  Right now its at 1" of snow.   There 00z/13 GEFS LGA plumes had 4" of snow with over 1" qpf.  00z/14 onward, LGA was in the 1.5-2.5 mean for Yesterdays event, which I think is excellent consistency. 

I expect the GEFS/EPS is going to continue with near 1" qpf for this coming event and its a matter of trends on snowfall.  I still want to see 12z/19 EPS/GEFS probs for 3+ inches next weekend before comitting.  It's still possible for all rain LI, especially with our winter in progress. No rush here... savoring yesterdays south-southwest wind bonus.  659A/19

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 5.13.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 5.22.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 5.25.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 6.45.45 AM.png

If Walt is watching it for NJ.. that definitely should perk your attention 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Perhaps the panic queens should realize that we do have a split flow, and that we have a tendency for highs to our north this season.  It is enough for a good outcome, though doesn’t mean it won’t get worse.  But also it could get better.

Works better for those away from the coast for sure.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ve been calling for it since issued winter forecast late Oct. What may bust is it comes in sooner and spring just hits in early Feb. TBD

I’ve been getting a lot of questions on the upcoming winter , so will just lay out thoughts . Overall it looks to be a fairly normal winter snowfall and temp wise. For example, the Tolland area averages about 60” of snow per year. I think we will fall somewhere in the 55-65” range. It doesn’t appear like it will be overly snowy with above normal snowfall. Nor does it appear that we’ll have a terrible winter with very little snow. There will be a fairly sharp gradient this year of haves vs have nots. I would guess that area is the NYC to south coast area. Near and south of that line may not see that much snow . As you head farther north that should steadily increase . Temps are likely to average a bit above normal . We’ll have our share of arctic outbreaks, but there should also be times of milder weather . There may also be higher than normal potential of a significant icestorm this year . I could see quite a few icing events happening , especially earlier in the season. Lastly , I think this year we see the trends of recent years where winter starts late and ends late reverse. I think it starts late Nov/early Dec and ends late Feb or early March . December for a change could be fairly wintry , especially if we see a -NAO kick in as long range guidance is picking up on. January may end up as the “easiest going” month of the winter before February sees another good wintry month set in. If it goes according to plan , spring comes in early -mid March instead of May like recent years. That’s pretty much my thought process , laying it out there. Trying to predict the future is never easy . Hopefully the flakes fly early and often !!

Fair enough. Most guys say Feb and especially March could be our best month. I’d like an early warm spring but I’d also like to get a big storm or two and if that means Mar 25th...I welcome it. We’ll see.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If the Atlantic doesn't change, then I can see an early spring, but I still feel as though it will. The Pacific should largely remain crap....that is what I have said since Novie.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If Walt is watching it for NJ.. that definitely should perk your attention 

I think this far in advance there are several questions... thermal profile cold enough? will the qpf diminish considerably at 5 days?  Right now i see a nice RRQ of the high level jet in se Canada and the LF quad of the Great Lakes sw. I see see flow at 850 (as opposed to ydy), And for now I sense an option of reintensiifcation of the Great Lakes sw to a closed 500 LOW somewhere near the New England coast late Sunday.  Til the option of a negative tilt 500 trough with energy pouring across the mid-Atlantic states goes away,  my hopes continue.   Obviously this is a terrible winter pattern so far and not a lot of teleconnection support for a snowstorm. However, I am a 'timing' favored forecaster as events pass through.  Sometimes, it is all about timing.  The GEFS plumes for 06z/19 are appended as well and that is what I am monitoring to trigger.  I'd like LGA to increase to a 2" snowfall mean with fewer near zero plumes to trigger the topic. By the way,  I am keeping in mind Don Sutherlands message from this morning.  While far from a statistician, I do like stats as limiters on expressing extremes. So, at this day7-8 stage, not at all optimistic for NYC but definitely potential for I84.  One other note...  from my perspective, it's always a good idea to check GGEM track.  Have a very good day and I do not expect to post anything more prior to 5PM. 

Screen_Shot_2020-01-19_at_10_04.54_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-01-19_at_10_05.59_AM.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, wdrag said:

I think this far in advance there are several questions... thermal profile cold enough? will the qpf diminish considerably at 5 days?  Right now i see a nice RRQ of the high level jet in se Canada and the LF quad of the Great Lakes sw. I see see flow at 850 (as opposed to ydy), And for now I sense an option of reintensiifcation of the Great Lakes sw to a closed 500 LOW somewhere near the New England coast late Sunday.  Til the option of a negative tilt 500 trough with energy pouring across the mid-Atlantic states goes away,  my hopes continue.   Obviously this is a terrible winter pattern so far and not a lot of teleconnection support for a snowstorm. However, I am a 'timing' favored forecaster as events pass through.  Sometimes, it is all about timing.  The GEFS plumes for 06z/19 are appended as well and that is what I am monitoring to trigger.  I'd like LGA to increase to a 2" snowfall mean with fewer near zero plumes to trigger the topic. By the way,  I am keeping in mind Don Sutherlands message from this morning.  While far from a statistician, I do like stats as limiters on expressing extremes. So, at this day7-8 stage, not at all optimistic for NYC but definitely potential for I84.  One other note...  from my perspective, it's always a good idea to check GGEM track.  Have a very good day and I do not expect to post anything more prior to 5PM. 

Walt!! Thanks so much for the detailed post! We miss your expertise up in SNE and all of us learned so much from you. There was nothing like a WD AFD prior to snowstorms. Please drop in more often. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Walt, please drop in here whenever time permits....appreciate the thoughts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1