Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Discussion

Torch Tiger

9 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Will, how does the 12 EPS look today? not much change?  Took a quick look and it looks pretty good from about 18th on till the end of the run but I suck at interpreting the ridges and epo,ao,nao,cao, gomo, ccco

Yes....excellent run again.

Hard to hate much about the pattern....and as ginxy said, the EPS do like the 1/18 threat. It's still in the early part of the pattern change, so there's more risk for westward solutions on that one than future threats beyond that IMHO.....but we have a good antecedent airmass for that one and the western ridge isjust in the process of building, so there's some good things going on. I'd just be cautious getting too invested in 1/18 just yet though.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

EPS looks very similar to OP . Nice cold Miller B with a great amount of QPF

Popping in from the mid-atlantic forum.  How does the MLK weekend storm look for northern Vermont (Montpelier area)?  Will be visiting some friends up that way for the weekend and am REALLY hoping to catch a good storm.  

3 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Popping in from the mid-atlantic forum.  How does the MLK weekend storm look for northern Vermont (Montpelier area)?  Will be visiting some friends up that way for the weekend and am REALLY hoping to catch a good storm.  

It's early but that area looks favorable for the 1/18-19 threat.

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes....excellent run again.

Hard to hate much about the pattern....and as ginxy said, the EPS do like the 1/18 threat. It's still in the early part of the pattern change, so there's more risk for westward solutions on that one than future threats beyond that IMHO.....but we have a good antecedent airmass for that one and the western ridge isjust in the process of building, so there's some good things going on. I'd just be cautious getting too invested in 1/18 just yet though.

Absolutely no investment just like the look. 22nd 23rd look today is excellent.  Way out there is a very strong signal for a juicy stj Miller A storm that might interest the MA forum.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Absolutely no investment just like the look. 22nd 23rd look today is excellent.  Way out there is a very strong signal for a juicy stj Miller A storm that might interest the MA forum.

The folded-over EPO  block links up with the building PNA ridge around 1/20-1/21 and the flow becomes extremely meridional, so I could definitely see there being support for a larger scale threat a day later or so. (1/22ish)

Obviously caveats apply as the look could change, but the reason the pattern has been pretty excited is because of how meridional it looks. That will keep the threats rolling in with a ton of cold over us.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The folded-over EPO  block links up with the building PNA ridge around 1/20-1/21 and the flow becomes extremely meridional, so I could definitely see there being support for a larger scale threat a day later or so. (1/22ish)

Obviously caveats apply as the look could change, but the reason the pattern has been pretty excited is because of how meridional it looks. That will keep the threats rolling in with a ton of cold over us.

Yep. The ridge off the west coast should keep things active and the cold/dry debbies at bay. 

25 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Lol..no need to dilute 2015 one bit!

Yeah but imagine throwing Mar '18 on top of 2015.....lol. 

Thats the stuff of TyphoonTip's fictional weather stories he has authored rooted in some form of reality at some point in time....he has always said that imagine 2015 happening except that the snow is higher water content.....well in this scenario you throw 2 or 3 feet of high water content snow on top of all that powder....similar kind of obscenity. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, klw said:

Biggest downside to BTV from a snow perspective is that it is awful at snow retention- if that matters to you.

True.  But there tends to be snow otg most of the winter with all the systems coming through that gives us sprinkles and 45 here.  Also, you don’t have to go that far from Burlington to get a lot more snow and way better retention.  I can buy the place next to powderfreak.....lol.

23 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:
Hi, 

I got a response from pivotal weather on the ecmwf vertical levels on the soundings. 

The vertical levels are: 1000, 950, 925, 900, 850, 800, 700, 600, 500, 400, 300, 250, 200, 150, 100.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fuc%3Fexport%3Ddownload%26id%3D0BwXoNyZKgvKiRjJPTGJlVkxlNTg%26revid%3D0BwXoNyZKgvKiSmU1Rmt4RVd6SGczK2Z5UHVkdjJSTm1pUEI4PQ&t=1578698156&ymreqid=ff96e531-54c6-0430-2e4b-740044010a00&sig=l5D636R5mMRpi4NWT4GWpA--~C
Pivotal Weather Team
www.pivotalweather.com | PO Box 721572 • Norman, OK 73070

Pretty much AWT. The only thing missing there that I'd like is H75. That's really sweet for free though. I hope their plan works and the donations keep rolling in.

23 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:
Hi, 

I got a response from pivotal weather on the ecmwf vertical levels on the soundings. 

The vertical levels are: 1000, 950, 925, 900, 850, 800, 700, 600, 500, 400, 300, 250, 200, 150, 100.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fuc%3Fexport%3Ddownload%26id%3D0BwXoNyZKgvKiRjJPTGJlVkxlNTg%26revid%3D0BwXoNyZKgvKiSmU1Rmt4RVd6SGczK2Z5UHVkdjJSTm1pUEI4PQ&t=1578698156&ymreqid=ff96e531-54c6-0430-2e4b-740044010a00&sig=l5D636R5mMRpi4NWT4GWpA--~C
Pivotal Weather Team
www.pivotalweather.com | PO Box 721572 • Norman, OK 73070

Nice. That's good they have 4 levels between 1000 and 900. I kind of wish they had like 825 and 875 but beggars can't be choosers. 

Just now, dendrite said:

Pretty much AWT. The only thing missing there that I'd like is H75. That's really sweet for free though. I hope their plan works and the donations keep rolling in.

Yeah 750 too I should've said above. That is a frequent level for pellet layers in the really tilted systems. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah 750 too I should've said above. That is a frequent level for pellet layers in the really tilted systems. 

I hear ya on 825 and 875 too. I just find I'm usually stressing over that 700-800 layer up here more than the 800-900 layer in winter events. I'm sure some further S and E may feel differently.

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

What a bunch of weenies, Those levels for free are better then some of the paid sites, Maybe ask if they can add the ones that are missing? I know some of the paid sites will do it if you ask.

My hunch is that's all they have. Otherwise I'm sure we'd see more levels in the soundings.

24 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I hear ya on 825 and 875 too. I just find I'm usually stressing over that 700-800 layer up here more than the 800-900 layer in winter events. I'm sure some further S and E may feel differently.

875 is actually not that big a deal the more I think about it. Pretty rare to have an elevated warm layer that low when 850 is below 0C though it does happen occasionally. 825 def matters though...I'd love 825 and 750. 

But at least with 850-800-700 we could probably interpolate from the soundings whether there's a potential issue even if we can't quite see it. (I.E the sounding is getting warmer between 850 and 800 and then 700 isn't THAT much colder than 800)....so much better than the old 850-700 gap.