Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Mid/Long Term Discussion

nj2va

22 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

@psuhoffman if we aren't going to have a -ao/nao, the current d15 mean h5 across all ens is the next best thing imo. Feb 2015 was mostly northern stream. Most of 13/14 was northern stream except the Feb storm. Current look is like 2014/15 + southern stream. I can't really recall any winter in the past 15 years that had a similar hemispheric lw pattern

Agree with this. I’m not totally sure what happens up top though. It’s a sudden flip to blocking then a sudden flip back although with a perfect epo ridge. But that’s two sudden high latitude reversals in a week. Volatile to say the least. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

If anything the gefs is trending too strong with the blocking next week. Most runs suppress the system after the weekend one into the southeast. Too much ridging in Canada forces the trough axis southeast of us. Still likely to set up a threat as it relaxes later in the week. 

That was my biggest concern in the long range with all of that blocking on the models. Obviously way too far out there to blow a gasket yet. But something to watch for sure.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

After weeks of butt ugly analogs...some interesting ones showing up now...

500hgt_comp_sup814.gif

Man, there's a few good storms in there. One of my all time favorite, extremely underrated storms was 2/9/2006. Got absolutely buried by a crazy deformation axis that extended from NoVa to just north of NYC. The reason people actually remember that storm was due to thunder snow in the band, and the fact it warmed up so fast after the storm exited. I remember it was in the 40's before Noon just north of Baltimore. Crazy, but some of the greatest rates I've ever seen. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Man, there's a few good storms in there. One of my all time favorite, extremely underrated storms was 2/9/2006. Got absolutely buried by a crazy deformation axis that extended from NoVa to just north of NYC. The reason people actually remember that storm was due to thunder snow in the band, and the fact it warmed up so fast after the storm exited. I remember it was in the 40's before Noon just north of Baltimore. Crazy, but some of the greatest rates I've ever seen. 

I loved the 06 storm. 05-06 would have been a total dud without it. I remember not needing a jacket the next day. I'd have to look it up but my brain remembers 15" in my yard and it was not high ratio snow. Mashed potatoes

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I loved the 06 storm. 05-06 would have been a total dud without it. I remember not needing a jacket the next day. I'd have to look it up but my brain remembers 15" in my yard and it was not high ratio snow. Mashed potatoes

100% mashed potatoes. Almost back breaking snow trying to shovel the next morning. I had ~20" NW of 95. I was in the heart of that band for hours. We hit 4"/hr between 115-215AM that night. Thundersnow woke up my dad, who then woke me up, which lead to us staying up all night watching and taking measurements. Great father and son moment. What a great memory. 

Edit: Sorry for going a bit off topic. Those analogs are very much conducive for wintry weather. Ridge over the top with mean trough in the east, EPO ridge in place, and low anomalies where the Aleutian low is parked. There's also a hint of low anomalies off the Pac/Baja coast. Likely some result of southern stream influence judging by the buckling heights out there.  

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm cherry picking but just wanted to show there's a couple Eps members that want to transfer pretty far south like this one ...its a long shot but interesting possiblity. 

PhotoPictureResizer_200112_203434017_crop_1344x1293.jpg

When you say 'a couple' do you literally mean 2? Are there a few that redevelop off the VA Capes or Delmarva? And did you notice an increase in faster/farther s redevelopment on the individuals vs 12z? Thanks.

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Maybe 4 but Eps ends at 144 so can't see past that hr. on individuals.  And the 2 biggest takeaways I saw are a significant 6-8mb drop in mean primary low strength and much colder 2m temps .

yeah...much better CAD signal....stronger high that holds on longer.  The clown maps are misleading I think because it slowed things down just a bit and the run ends at 144...as you noted.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

There are some frigid periods around several of those dates.  1961, 1981, 1985 and 2009 all had below-zero weather in my area within a couple of days of the ones listed.

It's a good setup for a good cold shot. D9-10 850s on the eps were -10C. Pretty big departure for that far out in time. If we have a persistent -epo like the ens want us to believe... we could get quite a few cold shots. Quite the turnaround from the last 6 weeks. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Heck of a storm for ski resorts of VT, NH, etc.  

My guess is if the warm front hits us it will be mostly or all frozen before dry slot and rain. That's our typical climo for this general setup. How much qpf falls is a question. These parts of a storm generally don't drop more than .5 qpf when the low tracks so far west. The juicy cad tracks are up the apps. This one is almost certainly tracking further west than that. 

4 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

I lived 30 miles NW of NYC Along the Hudson River in ’06. 2/9/06 was an UNREAL storm. 20+‘degree temp drop and almost a foot of snow in mere hours. Insane. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

EURO OZ WB fir MLK weekend.  Improved this run.  Would also note that 19 of the 50 EPS Members have nice hits for the weekend.

8E93A3A8-E754-4613-AC6C-3701A8388745.png

Hopefully whatever this is MLK is an appetizer for the main course as met winter is half over. Something needs to crank. 

45 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

EURO OZ WB fir MLK weekend.  Improved this run.  Would also note that 19 of the 50 EPS Members have nice hits for the weekend.

8E93A3A8-E754-4613-AC6C-3701A8388745.png

Not that it means much but I would probably favor a ground truth more so towards the Kuchera. Never been a big fan of the ground depth maps as they quite often (read most of the time into that statement) understate the snow we actually see except in very marginal setups. This setup on the thump is far from marginal and only becomes an issue as we see a warm nose start sneaking in at the mid and lower levels at the very tail end of the WAA precip. Otherwise the temp profile throughout the column is better then fine for almost all if not all  of the thump. But as I said it really doesn't mean much as it is one run and we are more then likely going to see the models flip back and forth for the next few days.

***Was a lot to like with what I was seeing on the Euro. Might break it down a little later.

eurosnow.gif.b56b185114fab73cd0acd4996bd4b51b.gif

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic