Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Mid/Long Term Discussion

nj2va

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

It’s about the same, honestly. My attempted point was that snow maps aren’t showing the whole picture, GEFS and probably the EPS are showing prolonged mix-y conditions.

Ever since the model page upgrade on wxbell  the gefs snow algorithm doesn’t seem to show non snow as 10-1 snow as much as before. They are still not the best tool to use but they don’t seem to be super crazy exaggerated compared to the eps due to 20” of snow from a low 500 miles NW of us like before. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Ever since the model page upgrade on wxbell  the gefs snow algorithm doesn’t seem to show non snow as 10-1 snow as much as before. They are still not the best tool to use but they don’t seem to be super crazy exaggerated compared to the eps due to 20” of snow from a low 500 miles NW of us like before. 

Def not the same algo as last year. If you flip between ptype and snow maps it clearly shows that zr isn't counting. Sleet is muddy but doesn't look like 10-1 to me. 

Models are converging on a step down pattern taking place over a week. I'm not expecting real cold or deep winter appeal until 11-13 days down the line when the what appears to be a classic -EPO arctic dump. First couple fronts starting next weekend are prob nothing more than return to normal winter here. Beyond that looks like real winter with temps. Snow tbd. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Def not the same algo as last year. If you flip between ptype and snow maps it clearly shows that zr isn't counting. Sleet is muddy but doesn't look like 10-1 to me. 

Models are converging on a step down pattern taking place over a week. I'm not expecting real cold or deep winter appeal until 11-13 days down the line when the what appears to be a classic -EPO arctic dump. First couple fronts starting next weekend are prob nothing more than return to normal winter here. Beyond that looks like real winter with temps. Snow tbd. 

Wrt the snow maps, the more sophisticated ones on Wxbell and some other outlets are getting better.  The TT ones are still pretty bad wrt ice. The kuchera especially does a better job not over accumulating sleet compared to years past. Snow maps will never be as good as plain old analysis combined with common sense climo adjustment to the NWP but at least they aren’t spitting out crazy stupid maps that make it onto twitter. Now their only semi crazy stupid. Progress! 

As for the pattern...I agree odds increase with each wave after this week. But there are some pretty crazy blocks combined with strong highs showing up. They shift around every run but time those up right and any one of the waves starting next weekend could deliver a flush hit. But I do agree each wave after Sat has an increasing probability. 

The long range looks like chaos incarnate but in a good way.  Super charger blocks and highs shifting all over North America. Lest we forget it takes anomalous stuff to get a good snow here usually so I’ll my chances with the crazy. 

• Like 1

Not trying to be the debbie downer here but I think I'm ready to be reaped. I've tried all year to be positive but it seems like we all hope every 10 days out will be "that" storm to where it ends up being short sleeves and record highs. If I keep living in fantasy land before I know it I'm going to be needing to watch the tropics. This has been nothing short of disastrous. I want to hope that Bob, PSU and everyone else is right in pattern change sooner than later but we are running out of time and quickly. I'm not saying I'm getting my panties in a bunch bc next weekend doesn't look as promising but it's like every 10 days here the pattern has looked much better and then we go back to wtf is happening? I hope I'm proven wrong bc I truly love snow. Done ranting back to weather and tracking! 

22 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Not trying to be the debbie downer here but I think I'm ready to be reaped. I've tried all year to be positive but it seems like we all hope every 10 days out will be "that" storm to where it ends up being short sleeves and record highs. If I keep living in fantasy land before I know it I'm going to be needing to watch the tropics. This has been nothing short of disastrous. I want to hope that Bob, PSU and everyone else is right in pattern change sooner than later but we are running out of time and quickly. I'm not saying I'm getting my panties in a bunch bc next weekend doesn't look as promising but it's like every 10 days here the pattern has looked much better and then we go back to wtf is happening? I hope I'm proven wrong bc I truly love snow. Done ranting back to weather and tracking! 

So you hung on through 4 weeks of 2 god awful no hope shutout patterns....and now a week away from a change to at least a workable if not legit good pattern you want to jump?  Ok

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

22 minutes ago, Mersky said:

Agreed. Stronger CAD. 

B7F25CF6-0393-44E8-947A-830D11D86F27.gif

This is what's keeping me hanging on to an otherwise hopeless situation.  Yeah, it's straight out of the weenie playbook, but CAD does tend to get stronger the closer we get to the event.   Doesn't always hold true, but for the most part.....   I'm going to hang in there until it gets into NAM range.   No, seriously.   Not for specifics, but NAM does tend to  model CAD pretty well.

• Like 8

I think the focus is more the position of the low. Yes I know the cad is a function of the same mechanism that positions the low but the low position will probably dictate the amount of precip in that vital initial slug. Both models took significant steps in moving that low further southeast. Get that low better positioned and I think it’s game on and an added bonus would likely be a deeper stronger cad wedge. Just my opinion.

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

Big bump in snowfall output on the ens. From what I can tell based on the temps/precip depiction there could also be some ice north/west as well.

1579392000-Zzxc7u0MmzQ.png

I certainly appreciate your maps but for me it would be so helpful to have the 0z map as well for comparison. Thanks

15 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

This is what's keeping me hanging on to an otherwise hopeless situation.  Yeah, it's straight out of the weenie playbook, but CAD does tend to get stronger the closer we get to the event.   Doesn't always hold true, but for the most part.....   I'm going to hang in there until it gets into NAM range.   No, seriously.   Not for specifics, but NAM does tend to  model CAD pretty well.

Don’t think it’s hopeless.

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

I certainly appreciate your maps but for me it would be so helpful to have the 0z map as well for comparison. Thanks

No problem, I'm just cognizant that some people don't appreciate map spam and I try to avoid it. I realize that my definition of "big bump" is different than others though, so both are needed.

0z

1579435200-6o8pQId9NPw.png

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

No problem, I'm just cognizant that some people don't appreciate map spam and I try to avoid it. I realize that my definition of "big bump" is different than others though, so both are needed.

0z

1579435200-6o8pQId9NPw.png

I think it’s significant, especially for an ens mean. I’d bet there are some significant storms in that mix

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I think it’s significant, especially for an ens mean. I’d bet there are some significant storms in that mix

Agreed... there are a handful of big hits. Kinda hit or miss though, with the obvious caveat that it isn't including sleet/ice (which there certainly is some)

1579392000-8C9DxM2YkLU.png

1579392000-k6KXFJn3phA.png

fyi, for whatever reason the embedded images are lower quality. noticed this for a couple weeks now. If you click them and open them in a separate window, the quality improves.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic