Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2020 Mid/Long Term Discussion

nj2va

Just now, showmethesnow said:

After just looking over the EPS I think I will jump on the Bus as well. Ignoring anything beforehand, day 10-15 looks very good. And as the pattern looks as if it is setting in one would have to believe that look extends a good deal beyond day 15. Good times. At least until the next run

When it increases the weenie looks even more. 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

After just looking over the EPS I think I will jump on the Bus as well. Ignoring anything beforehand, day 10-15 looks very good. And as the pattern looks as if it is setting in one would have to believe that look extends a good deal beyond day 15. Good times. At least until the next run. 

I actually am rooting against snow next weekend. Have big guitar weekend coming up at church so im going to troll any storm we get until Monday Jan 20

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

After just looking over the EPS I think I will jump on the Bus as well. Ignoring anything beforehand, day 10-15 looks very good. And as the pattern looks as if it is setting in one would have to believe that look extends a good deal beyond day 15. Good times. At least until the next run. 

Should we temper expectations at all since this is still 10+ days out and we are seeing alot of shuffling around still or are we diving in headfirst?

giphy-1.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

Should we temper expectations at all since this is still 10+ days out and we are seeing alot of shuffling around still or are we diving in headfirst?

giphy-1.gifr..

we saw amazing looks last year until the models just gave up lol...I remember bob showing us the weeklies and they looked historic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

we saw amazing looks last year until the models just gave up lol...I remember bob showing us the weeklies and they looked historic

Yep, the infamous epic unicorn looks across the board on all ens, weeklies, tellies, etc. It was a fail proof look all around and it was only 10+ days away. Never forget. :yikes:

@WxUSAF would make sense. I was thinking how almost all the years that featured a Jan pac ridge and improved were accompanied by some HL blocking.  Just thinking out loud and putting things together but there have been some suggestions that high amplified waves near the MC can preceed a strat event. Those waves would also cause the pattern were in. Also the same processes that would shift the ridge into the epo domain will also apply pressure to the PV. And now suddenly we’re seeing signs of blocking showing up.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@WxUSAF would make sense. I was thinking how almost all the years that featured a Jan pac ridge and improved were accompanied by some HL blocking.  Just thinking out loud and putting things together but there have been some suggestions that high amplified waves near the MC can preceed a strat event. Those waves would also cause the pattern were in. Also the same processes that would shift the ridge into the epo domain will also apply pressure to the PV. And now suddenly we’re seeing signs of blocking showing up.  

IF, giant IF, we get a major strat disruption in early-mid Feb, that would support winter hanging on into March when potentially tropical forcing could be in warm phases by mid-late Feb. Lots of wild speculation there lol

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

IF, giant IF, we get a major strat disruption in early-mid Feb, that would support winter hanging on into March when potentially tropical forcing could be in warm phases by mid-late Feb. Lots of wild speculation there lol

Looks like we took it several levels too far today. 18z gefs will punish us for it

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

I stand corrected.  Although I thought EPS at 12z was not showing much until after the weekend.  Will have to go look again.

Not that a deterministic at that range means a lot (obligatory caveat!)...but the 18Z GFS looked more or less like we saw in previous cycles for next weekend (MLK weekend).  That is, some kind of mess/ice to rain, then some pretty cold air behind it.  There's some decent cold ahead of the system too before the flip.  In any event, something to watch.  Has the look of areas in western/central MD or western VA potentially getting into quite an icing situation, more so than the DC-Balt corridor.

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gfs cranks up the -nao again. It starts building d5-6 and keeps getting stronger. Blocking isn't forecast well at all with long leads. A big AO or NAO block can suddenly pop up so the idea isn't insane. Just the people that care about it are insane

500h_anom.nh.png

GFS HH op is only a few minor adjustments from a complete weenie run days 7 forward. Interested in the GEFS.

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gfs cranks up the -nao again. It starts building d5-6 and keeps getting stronger. Blocking isn't forecast well at all with long leads. A big AO or NAO block can suddenly pop up so the idea isn't insane. Just the people that care about it are insane

500h_anom.nh.png

Too much blocking. Lol. Squashes everything. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic