Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2020 Mid/Long Term Discussion

nj2va

1 minute ago, Baltimorewx said:

Cant really tell with the 24 hr maps, but how does the Euro do in terms of Saturday night? I saw good trends from the other models holding off most precip until after midnight Saturday, curious if Euro agrees

Rains holds off until after game is over is not heavy even then.

• Like 1

Wish I had the memory to remember what January/February of 2014 and 2015 were like. I gotta start writing things down so I have something to look back to when I forget! 

Last really cold stretch I remember I think was the very beginning of January 2018? I remember it being sub-freezing for like 10 consecutive days. All the water bodies near my area were frozen over. It was awesome! 

1 minute ago, jaydreb said:

Pretty good match. 

I kept seeing the CFS weeklies going in that direction and it made sense that we could *potentially* end up in that type of regime so nice to see it showing inside of 15 days now. I think the -EPO is going to be legit and not a fantasy. How everything else breaks is hard to say. Assuming we do enter a +PNA/-EPO/+NAO regime we should all know what to expect as we have a lot of practice. 2014&15 had a bunch of luck on top of a decent pattern. 93-94 has almost no luck unless you like ice. Cold at times is a lock with a hemispheric pattern like that. Ptype is at the mercy of luck/timing. 

• Like 3

Just now, Steve25 said:

Wish I had the memory to remember what January/February of 2014 and 2015 were like. I gotta start writing things down so I have something to look back to when I forget! 

Last really cold stretch I remember I think was the very beginning of January 2018? I remember it being sub-freezing for like 10 consecutive days. All the water bodies near my area were frozen over. It was awesome! 

January/February 2014 was very cold and a parade of storms. It was basically tracking for two straight months. We've had much more snow and much bigger storms, but I don't remember a period that long that was that busy and wintry. February 2015 was basically the same, but to a lesser extent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

January/February 2014 was very cold and a parade of storms. It was basically tracking for two straight months. We've had much more snow and much bigger storms, but I don't remember a period that long that was that busy and wintry. February 2015 was basically the same, but to a lesser extent.

Yep, but man did we have some luck on our side during those periods. Ridge/trough axis kept lining up. Don't forget 93-94 as that was a very similar pattern with much different results. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yep, but man did we have some luck on our side during those periods. Ridge/trough axis kept lining up. Don't forget 93-94 as that was a very similar pattern with much different results. 

Iad ended up with 19.4" in 93-94 I'd take that from late January on in a heartbeat plus some ice

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Right.  Jan-Feb 2014 was basically wall to wall deep winter with multiple events (the biggest being about a foot of snow in mid-Feb).  Feb 2015 it took a week or two for us to get in the game (there was an early storm or two that missed us to the north and people were panicking) but our time came around mid-Feb and then we had a few nice events, the biggest being around 2/20 when a low ran to our west but the CAD held on and we got about 8” before flipping to sleet/drizzle.  

2 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

93-94 was so close to having big totals. It's one thing to have so many mixed events with marginal cold or weak antecedent air masses but to have them in frigid conditions because the depth of the cold was so shallow has got to be a 1 in 200 year type winter. 

Starting around d9 on both the GEFS and EPS there are a number of mixed precip solutions and it makes sense given the mean h5 look. I know everyone is dying for a clean coastal with perfect conditions (who wouldn't) but that won't come easy from what I'm seeing. We have at least 8 days of shutout to discuss. So far so good imo

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, it was definitely a "wintry winter" but ice/mix/mess was far more common that clean snow iirc. I could be wrong cuz that's a loooong time ago. 

I was living in Annandale at the time so my memory was more ice than snow. I'd guess out here or up by PSU was better

20 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

If you go find the seasonal totals thread from this forum for these years and find my last post you will be able to see how Baltimore (not downtown) made out. They were good years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, it was definitely a "wintry winter" but ice/mix/mess was far more common that clean snow iirc. I could be wrong cuz that's a loooong time ago. 

In 93-94 I was at school in Ithaca, NY, and it was cold as hell in Jan and Feb.  The coldest temp I ever experienced was -17F with a windchill around -60.  The snot would literally freeze in your nostrils.  

1 minute ago, leesburg 04 said:

I was living in Annandale at the time so my memory was more ice than snow. I'd guess out here or up by PSU was better

There was a lot of ice even up here although I lived in reisterstown then. I think I was around 30. Probably broke 40 up here. The snow line ran more north/south with a lot of systems that year if memory serves. Being west helped some but not as much as usual unless you were more northwest.

• Like 1

@Steve25For Balt City neighborhoods in 2013/14 - I was in Hamilton neighborhood that winter and had 46" - poster NW Balt (Pikesville area) had 57. Ravensrule (near poster NW Balt reported 64").

In 2014/15 I moved to where I currently am in North Baltimore and had 30 inches, poster NW Balt had 33.

I got those from the season snow totals threads for those years on this forum.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

lol what happened to -QBO and blocking. Euro shows -EPO but severe NAO and AO

34 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

i enjoyed 93-94 although Topper shutt screwed me. He swore on the 11:00pm news that the atomosphere was cold enough for snow and as soon as he said...i started  hearing sleeet...and we got 5 inchces of sleet while Newark got 20 inches of snow:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Starting around d9 on both the GEFS and EPS there are a number of mixed precip solutions and it makes sense given the mean h5 look. I know everyone is dying for a clean coastal with perfect conditions (who wouldn't) but that won't come easy from what I'm seeing. We have at least 8 days of shutout to discuss. So far so good imo

No, going to be some mixey storms ahead most likely as the trough carves it’s way eastward successively after each cutter. Best chance for an all snow solution before the last week of January is probably a weak overrunning storm or a follow up wave to a cutter with a perfect track.

1 minute ago, Ji said:

i enjoyed 93-94 although Topper shutt screwed me. He swore on the 11:00pm news that the atomosphere was cold enough for snow and as soon as he said...i started  hearing sleeet...and we got 5 inchces of sleet while Newark got 20 inches of snow:(

I remember that one as well! Like a beach scene with 5 inches of sleet. Was so lame!

15 minutes ago, anotherman said:

In February of ‘94 I was at Penn State Altoona. The entire state of Pennsylvania was under a state of emergency and Penn State closed (that never used to happen). I will never forget I went to get gas and the pumps didn’t work. It was -20.

I remember there was a massive, pitched snowball battle on main campus. I also remember all the cars being completely buried. It was epic.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic