Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 Mid/Long Term Discussion

nj2va

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Don't waste your time. The fact that the response was meh tells you that you are dealing with an irrational person so trying to be rational is futile. The fact that we're consistently seeing an uptick in activity as we move forward is good. Expecting any type of consensus on a discrete event d10+ is silly. 

Yeah, I know...but couldn't let that go by.  Maybe it was just him being snarky and my snark meter is broken (but irrational could be the case to!)!

Anyhow, you're right...the uptick in activity is the main point.  I honestly haven't been following too closely but from my reading here, that GEFS plot you showed is probably about the best it's been in some time.  I'd take that right now and hope it's a real signal and not a "blip" that will revert to crap again!

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

If it's there at D5 or less than we're talking.  Beyond that we've been burned too many times.

So basically you want us to just stop using a long range threat to discuss long range....??.

While most know better than to trust much beyond 240, we are smart enough to see the signs of better things coming and are glad to share/discuss long range stuff in a long range thread.

you’re always welcome in banter

10 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

If it's there at D5 or less than we're talking.  Beyond that we've been burned too many times.

We're at least 5-7 days away from any shot at a d5 event so you may want to take a break for a while. The only things that will be discussed here are outside of your range. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah, I know...but couldn't let that go by.  Maybe it was just him being snarky and my snark meter is broken (but irrational could be the case to!)!

Anyhow, you're right...the uptick in activity is the main point.  I honestly haven't been following too closely but from my reading here, that GEFS plot you showed is probably about the best it's been in some time.  I'd take that right now and hope it's a real signal and not a "blip" that will revert to crap again!

Yup.
Uptick in activity and players realigning is all most rational weenies are looking at right now. Smh

In all seriousness EJ, if you're of the mindset that it's not worth discussing until it's 5 days out, you really should take Bob's advice and take a break until next week at least. 

I've done it, and it does help clear my head and then when I come back, there's fun stuff to discuss in a much closer range. We know there won't be anything wintry in the next 5 days, so maybe this is the perfect time. 

Also to the rest of you, thanks for driving into the long range with these intelligent breakdowns. I don't have the knowledge of you guys, but I pick up bits and pieces of information. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ji said:

the worst time on the forums is 2 weeks ago when we saw no hope in sight...now we have a target to get out of this awful pattern so im more into the posts now than i was a few weeks ago

Yep.  We’re not tracking a specific event per se, but we can at least track a shift to a workable pattern.  

21 minutes ago, Ji said:

today was the first time ive heard Judah cohen refer to MJO. He dosent talk about the pacific alot either. I wonder if that plays into some of his forecasting issues:) 

He needs to go out to lunch with Webb, it is not all HL, but wondering whether the implications from the improving Pac will make the high latitudes more receptive to influences from certain players. Isotherm as always mentions not just the attacks on the pv during a typical winter season, but whether the environment is favorable for certain things to proceed in a cooperative manner. Everything from AAM, Glamm, waves 1 and 2, etc.  

I like the trends today. The period near Jan 20 to 24 is very interesting but more so is what happens from there to effect Feb and March as well.  

2 minutes ago, Mersky said:

Doesn’t get much better than this. No doubt after the next 10 days the pattern is heading to a colder, stormier pattern. 

In the business of long range forecasting - the bolded portion is NEVER a safe thing. There should *always* be doubts when dealing with things beyond day 7...let alone day 10 or 15. 

• Like 2

@Bob Chill gefs would just need another 48 hours. That epo ridge among with the developing -AO would beat down the SE ridge. I don’t care if that takes 17 days v 14 days so long as that’s real I’m happy. It’s still early January. I said a week ago when the disgusting look showed up that if it locked in more than 2 weeks or so that puts us into really ugly analog territory and we wanted to be able to see the “other side” by mid January. It’s only the 8th and the other side might be showing. That’s totally fine by me. 

• Like 4

Just now, psuhoffman said:

@Bob Chill gefs would just need another 48 hours. That epo ridge among with the developing -AO would beat down the SE ridge. I don’t care if that takes 17 days v 14 days so long as that’s real I’m happy. It’s still early January. I said a week ago when the disgusting look showed up that if it locked in more than 2 weeks or so that puts us into really ugly analog territory and we wanted to be able to see the “other side” by mid January. It’s only the 8th and the other side might be showing. That’s totally fine by me. 

Take a look at the run over run h5 delta on the EPS. Marked improvement building the EPO ridge

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

@psuhoffman EPS is going Feb 2014/15 down the line. lol. I may score a lucky guess with that if it happens. Looks pretty cold d10+. Not just here but the eastern 2/3rds of the conus. 

Fits the Euro seasonal model forecast released on 1/1/2020, encouraging so far

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

EPS says welcome back Jan/Feb 2014 and Feb 2015. EPO starts building d6 and much faster with that feature compared to any recent run. 

q99LYVw.png

This look would imply there could be some real arctic shots and even if a storm cuts it would be hard to scour and could be quite wintry before a flip to rain. Often with another cold blast right behind any departing storm.

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

Cant really tell with the 24 hr maps, but how does the Euro do in terms of Saturday night? I saw good trends from the other models holding off most precip until after midnight Saturday, curious if Euro agrees

I was wondering same thing!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic