Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Minor to moderate winter event M-Tue Dec 16-17, 2019

wdrag

21 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Its disgusting 

The new RGEM just went way north on the snow accumulations, even the 10:1 ratio map shows barely an inch even up in Rockland County. The RGEM is normally too cold. https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=rgem&region=neus&pkg=asnow&runtime=2019121618&fh=40

• Weenie 2

10 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The new RGEM just went way north on the snow accumulations, even the 10:1 ratio map shows barely an inch even up in Rockland County. The RGEM is normally too cold. https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=rgem&region=neus&pkg=asnow&runtime=2019121618&fh=40

Ditto for the HRDPS, under an inch. The 12K and 3K NAM are barely 2 inches up here. HRDPS: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=hrdps&region=neus&pkg=asnow&runtime=2019121618&fh=42  12K: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=namconus&region=neus&pkg=asnowd&runtime=2019121618&fh=42 3K: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=nam3km&region=neus&pkg=asnowd&runtime=2019121618&fh=42

• Weenie 2

8 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

It also seems a bit warmer and more realistic in terms of where the ZR vs plain rain usually sets up

It would be nice if we could run the FRAM model on this to see how much freezing rain accumulates vs just runs off.

Wet-bulb helps account for evaporative cooling toward saturation. • The air-liquid interface along the edge of a raindrop is saturated. Microscale temperature ...
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Potential for a pretty legimate icing event and we’re in between discussing why parts of the area dont get as much snow and why rockland county might get 1” of snow instead of the 2” it showed on a map we were told not to use anyway. :wacko:

Well, if the 10:1 ratio maps are showing that little, it means virtually no snow and all ice. But you go ahead and root for an ice storm. I hope you loose power for days on end through the cold snap after and your pipes all burst :-)

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

Potential for a pretty legimate icing event and we’re in between discussing why parts of the area dont get as much snow and why rockland county might get 1” of snow instead of the 2” it showed on a map we were told not to use anyway. :wacko:
Yeah I don't get the bickering about the snow. This looks to be a pretty bad ice storm for inland NNJ. Especially considering the morning rush tomorrow and possible power outages.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X605F using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Well, if the 10:1 ratio maps are showing that little, it means virtually no snow and all ice. But you go ahead and root for an ice storm. I hope you loose power for days on end through the cold snap after and your pipes all burst :-)

*lose

Lol. What the hell are you talking about?  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It would be nice if we could run the FRAM model on this to see how much freezing rain accumulates vs just runs off.

Wet-bulb helps account for evaporative cooling toward saturation. • The air-liquid interface along the edge of a raindrop is saturated. Microscale temperature ...

It's mostly dependent on rates, mitigated by temperatures. Thus the greater the rate of precip, the more the run off, but the colder the temperatures, the less impact rates have. I can picture the curve in my head.

Of course greater precip intensity also increases friction which results in temperature increases. So if the rain comes in heavy it will help to raise temps.

2 minutes ago, Rjay said:

*lose

Lol. What the hell are you talking about?  

He thinks that because im pointing out that we should be discussing ice, that i am not only rooting for that outcome, but that ice accrection on the roads will somehow burst my pipes inside my house lol. 

• Haha 2

Who is rooting for an ice storm? The only person that roots is you, for no snow or winter weather. The fact you're bickering about a snow map that shows an inch or 2 is comical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Barman49 said:

Who is rooting for an ice storm? The only person that roots is you, against any snow or winter weather. The fact you're bickering about a snow map that shows an inch or 2 is comical.

Fyp. 

I didn't need another reason to hate snow maps.  Anyway, back to the storm.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bluewave said:

yeah, I doubt anyone see an inch of ice for this very reason-alot will run off-the biggest accretions are longer duration, lighter precip rates

23 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It's mostly dependent on rates, mitigated by temperatures. Thus the greater the rate of precip, the more the run off, but the colder the temperatures, the less impact rates have. I can picture the curve in my head.

Of course greater precip intensity also increases friction which results in temperature increases. So if the rain comes in heavy it will help to raise temps.

That’s why ice storm warnings are often issued once the event is underway.

24 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

This reminds me of the time LC (a short fused met) wished an inch of ice on some loudmouth and then it happened.

34 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

He thinks that because im pointing out that we should be discussing ice, that i am not only rooting for that outcome, but that ice accrection on the roads will somehow burst my pipes inside my house lol. 

Man I never thought of that. Gonna be off for awhile while I wrap my indoor pipes just in case.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Man I never thought of that. Gonna be off for awhile while I wrap my indoor pipes just in case.

I think he meant that the ice would cause the power lines to fall, this causing his pipes to feeeze without heat. Either way a bit dramatic per the usual.