Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Snow, sleet, ice, and rain Dec 16-17, 2019

Ralph Wiggum

31 minutes ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

Temperature has continued to fall across NW Chester County this evening now down to the low for the day at 32.1 (I have 2 other thermometers down to 30.0 and 31.1) we have a nice glaze on the deck and ZR continues to fall steadily here in East Nantmeal Township

Different elevations or are they set up at different heights above the ground?

33 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Temp dropped to 31 here. Ice accumulating on cars, trees, and almost broke my neck on our new deck which is now ice covered. I would call it a 'glaze'. Not fit for man nor beast....dogs took one look and turned around back inside.

Good thing Bumbles Bounce!! Still liquid here in Pottstown. Lots of salt on the roads which was probably a fine call. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J.P. said:

Is anybody planning on recalibrating their thermometer based off their observations from last night? I observed  zr at 32.4. Maybe the surface temps were a bit cooler than 2m? 

no, observed ice acurral is probably not a great way to calibrate an air temperature thermometer. If the surface is residually cold (meaning colder than the air temperature), the rain will freeze when lands on the colder than air surface. There are better ways to calibrate.   

6 minutes ago, zenmsav6810 said:

no, observed ice acurral is probably not a great way to calibrate an air temperature thermometer. If the surface is residually cold (meaning colder than the air temperature), the rain will freeze when lands on the colder than air surface. There are better ways to calibrate.   

I agree it’s not the best way. But in the instance of last night there shouldn’t have been residual cold on the surfaces as it had been above freezing during the day. So I’m wondering if it’s possible that surfaces a little lower than 2m could have been just a little colder? Don’t know if evaporation would have that affect.