Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/17 Messy Mix

40/70 Benchmark

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Chris, lots of peeps go to bed before 11 pm, and they went to bed with a 3-6 inch snow accumulation call for a lot interior SNE.  

Then at 11 pm, the forecast was changed and downgraded to 1-3 inches, and that’s gonna bust too.  This was a horrible performance by modeling...plain and simple. 

And That’s my point...sure you can keep changing with every model run of the HRRR etc etc in a situation like this...but that doesn’t help the 99% of the general public who’s definitely not watching every model run every hour.  

I had you in the C-2 range for most of CT that will work out well. I was one of the most conservative on the snowfall last night and i know no one liked it but that's the reality. Fact of the matter is im going to bust high in the 2-4 range for far northern CT. Ice map will be pretty good, glad i didn't go to crazy with that either. 

Here's some of the latest PNS statements which will fill in as we go on throughout the day from the LFOs.

PNSALY1Capture.PNG.2ec3c0a45e581d9a0e0752f14821cd8e.PNGPNSOKX1Capture.thumb.PNG.629ec4c7944462bf056bbe301e0ae0e7.PNG

PNSBOX1Capture.PNG

Any thoughts on why the initial thump flopped?

The 12z HREF yesterday had about 0.5" of liquid by 12z today in the Hartford area. BDL recorded 0.04" of liquid by 12z. 

Obviously convection to the south played a role... maybe screwed up moisture transport and less convergence along the 850mb jet? 

4 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Any thoughts on why the initial thump flopped?

The 12z HREF yesterday had about 0.5" of liquid by 12z today in the Hartford area. BDL recorded 0.04" of liquid by 12z. 

Obviously convection to the south played a role... maybe screwed up moisture transport and less convergence along the 850mb jet? 

Hard to say...I want to blame it on convection but typically when convection robs our conveyor it is closer by than what this was (like in the warm sector of a coastal)....but perhaps it was still able to pull it off if it was strong enough...I wasn't following closely down south yesterday but it did look pretty intense over a pretty decent area.

This system never looked great aloft...I remember complaining a few days ago about how horrendously sheared the vortmax was well off to our west versus our more typical larger thumps. Still doesn't explain why the models ramped up the thump so much through 12z yesterday before starting to back off though....it's not like they had a better looking vort for a few runs and then went back to the ugly look....it was always ugly. But they wanted to consolidate a nice WCB thump for a few runs there.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Hard to say...I want to blame it on convection but typically when convection robs our conveyor it is closer by than what this was (like in the warm sector of a coastal)....but perhaps it was still able to pull it off if it was strong enough...I wasn't following closely down south yesterday but it did look pretty intense over a pretty decent area.

This system never looked great aloft...I remember complaining a few days ago about how horrendously sheared the vortmax was well off to our west versus our more typical larger thumps. Still doesn't explain why the models ramped up the thump so much through 12z yesterday before starting to back off though....it's not like they had a better looking vort for a few runs and then went back to the ugly look....it was always ugly. But they wanted to consolidate a nice WCB thump for a few runs there.

Almost seems like the narrow thump just wound up a bit south along the best 850 mb speed convergence? I'm not sure why that happened but yeah that 12z run was a burp yesterday. It was weird seeing all of the HREF members and HRRR go big and then immediately start to pull back.