Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
12/17 Messy Mix

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s also torching the surface. 

It seems the HRRRV4 or what ever it is called has better surface temps than its parent?, just an observation from this past month....I do think the trend has been less snow and more sleet/frz rain or what ever mess comes after the snow switches....Early season SWFE have too much warm water to work with, transition happens earlier.

2 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

It seems the HRRRV4 or what ever it is called has better surface temps than its parent?, just an observation from this past month....I do think the trend has been less snow and more sleet/frz rain or what ever mess comes after the snow switches....Early season SWFE have too much warm water to work with, transition happens earlier.

Warm water? This is all WAA aloft . Not water related 

9 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Just looked at the 12z HRRR. Thing has been $ so far this year. Caught the mix line and timing very well as well as banding areas in the 12-2 storm (although a lot more than was modeled) and did well with the two smaller events. I'll ride it. 

18 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

hrrr all over the place, not trusted.

We tried to tell em. Am I americanwx'ing correctly yet?

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I know but it could be frozen solid and it would be same result. SWFE. Flow coming from southwest. Warming aloft with cold north drain surface. This isn’t a coastal 

Well I think he’s thinking he gets some warming due to the warmer water this early on in The season...??  Or maybe I misunderstood him?? Lol

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I know but it could be frozen solid and it would be same result. SWFE. Flow coming from southwest. Warming aloft with cold north drain surface. This isn’t a coastal 

I understand the main idea behind a SWFE, I'm talking down here along the shoreline and even most of CT...If you look at the wind directions at different levels. Any winds with a ssw component that pull from anybody of water ie. sound/ocean (water temps are upper 40s to near 50 south of Long Island) Doesn't take much to flood the upper levels with warmth, different than when they are in the 30s. The cold air drain from the N to NE only help at the surface until the circulation begins to wrap up and pull out. The meso models probably start to see the differences in a wsw, sw, or even ssw directions and how strong they are as we get closer. Which makes a difference for us down here and is probably why we are seeing the flip happen sooner, less snow....

Just now, Spanks45 said:

I understand the main idea behind a SWFE, I'm talking down here along the shoreline and even most of CT...If you look at the wind directions at different levels. Any winds with a ssw component that pull from anybody of water ie. sound/ocean (water temps are upper 40s to near 50 south of Long Island) Doesn't take much to flood the upper levels with warmth, different than when they are in the 30s. The cold air drain from the N to NE only help at the surface until the circulation begins to wrap up and pull out. The meso models probably start to see the differences in a wsw, sw, or even ssw directions and how strong they are as we get closer. Which makes a difference for us down here and is probably why we are seeing the flip happen sooner, less snow....

Aren’t you in DXR? You’re interior SW CT

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Aren’t you in DXR? You’re interior SW CT

a few miles south of exit 11 off of 84....roughly 450 ft elevation. I have just noticed since moving up here that this location switches earlier than modeled, but the surface almost always lags by a few hours on most models. I get a bit of a cold air feed from the Housatonic depending on the surface winds, you can always see it on the Weatherunderground temps.

• Weenie 1