Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
12/17 Messy Mix

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Nice 6+" stripe of snow N of the Pike 

In reality, I think it would prob extend a bit further south than the clown map shows too because its cutting off the snow algorithm based on where the 18z snow line is which is just N of pike....most of the 12-18z precip is snow down to like BOS and even slightly south....but it starts to mix at 16z or something. But algorithm isn't hourly, so it doesn't know that.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Glad dad is doing betterJay! 

Thank you my friend. Going on week 4 1/2. Time to drain a ton of fluid. Pancreas has taken a beating. But doctor is world renowned for treating necrotizing pancreatitis, and says he's confident. Going to be a long time before he's on his feet again. But have a good feeling. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

In reality, I think it would prob extend a bit further south than the clown map shows too because its cutting off the snow algorithm based on where the 18z snow line is which is just N of pike....most of the 12-18z precip is snow down to like BOS and even slightly south....but it starts to mix at 16z or something. But algorithm isn't hourly, so it doesn't know that.

Here's an example....look at the 6 hourly snowfall between 12z and 18z....notice that really sharp gradient just N of the pike. The QPF doesnt look like that either...it's only the snow that does. Yet the snow line at 12z is still down in central CT/RI. So it is assuming that the changeover to sleet happens in the BOS-ORH corridor extremely fast after 12z and then halfts for 4-5 hours just north of them....which isn't very realistic. So you get these weird banded looks on the clown maps. It's a good example why not to rip and read them....esp if you are in a zone that transitions between snow and another ptype in between 6 hour panels.

Dec16_12zEuro30hsnow.png

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Given the Euro joining the train this afternoon I think we see winter storm warnings fly. Going to be a nice strip of 4-8'' 

Some had laughed at the GFS but it has been pretty steadfast BL issues not included bringing this pretty far north from being the outlier to most all the others moving towards it.

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Or you can do it with heavy rates....but it needs to be a deluge for hours....this is what happened in ORH county in the 2008 icestorm....we had like 2.5 inches of QPF that produced an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half of ice. But it took like 18 hours of pretty heavy rates to get there.

Granted, we prob got to half an inch of ice the prior evening after 10 hours or so, but we were wasting a ton of QPF with that runoff.

It can be more extreme ...

I mean we all know this that are weather dorks, but in the Plains you can get some rather uniquely physically stressing soundings, with 19 F within 2,000 foot of the ground, and 44 F melting above the BL, where there is yet overrunning convective elements in the sub-mid levels producing lightning and thunder fall rates.   It does happen ...rarely. I've not seen it first hand, but have seen live video of orange flash, thunder boom, and raining hard enough that the air appeared foggy at relatively short distances with a temperature of 19 F. 

Heavy or not, you're efficient - just a matter of whether that efficiency and rate of phase change competes with fall rate... Obviously, it's never 1::1 - it can't be... hydrometeoroids splash on contact too..

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Here's an example....look at the 6 hourly snowfall between 12z and 18z....notice that really sharp gradient just N of the pike. The QPF doesnt look like that either...it's only the snow that does. Yet the snow line at 12z is still down in central CT/RI. So it is assuming that the changeover to sleet happens in the BOS-ORH corridor extremely fast after 12z and then halfts for 4-5 hours just north of them....which isn't very realistic. So you get these weird banded looks on the clown maps. It's a good example why not to rip and read them....esp if you are in a zone that transitions between snow and another ptype in between 6 hour panels.

Dec16_12zEuro30hsnow.png

It's why EC soundings would be awfully nice.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Dec16_12zEuro30hsnow.png

yup...not only are they garbage to begin with but add p-type issues into the picture and they become worse than garbage. Only thing perhaps realistic about that is the potential max area

Just now, dryslot said:

Some had laughed at the GFS but it has been pretty steadfast BL issues not included bringing this pretty far north from being the outlier to most all the others moving towards it.

That should have always been a player on the table...scenarios like that are not uncommon in these setups 

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Arctic fronts and squalls

zzzz

We know who does well with these Mountains and NNE. 

Maybe a 10 minute snow shower for the Coastal plain folk who make up 85% of posters here. 02$

In other news, 20 of the top 25 in KevinMA's snow table are from CT or MA, and tomorrow's event will only reinforce that trend.  I suspect climo will have had its way before winter is done, however.  And as for squalls, I think I've seen perhaps 3 since moving south from Fort Kent in 1985.  (Not counting the one that caught us on I-80 in western PA 8 years ago.)