Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/17 Messy Mix

40/70 Benchmark

23 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

BUFKIT is showing 12 full hours of ZR for HVN, ranging from .017 to .169/hr usually ranging around .060 per hour for a total of .805. Say we lose 30-40% of that due to run off. That's still .5" of total ice.

Precip is on the light side so that will help with accretion. Temps rangning from 27-32F. I don't think a widespread .5-.75 is likely but i think its in the cards, like you said if everything goes right. .25-.50 is not an unreasonable forecast thought for interior S CT.

Total snow before the flip is 3.7" on bufkit so well have a solid concrete pack for a while if that pans out.

Yeah it's possible half an inch happens, I'm just pretty skeptical of it. Nothing wrong with using it as the upper bound though...upper bound should be where if most things go right.

All these things to consider:

- QPF could be overdone in general on some of these mesos

- Lose some ZR QPF to sleet where algorithms are too quick to flip to ZR

- Accretion efficiency? It can vary quite a bit depending on precip rate, temps, wind, etc...but median is about 0.70.

As an aside, I actually always thought the ice storm warning criteria of half an inch of ice was kind of dumb and arbitrary anyway. Grid problems start ramping up quickly at around a third to 3/8 of an inch I've noticed.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Going big with the ice i see. I am likely bumping up the .1-.3 range to .25-.50, our zones are the same though. My biggest problem though is forecasting the shore, you think they dont see any ice accumulation at all? I dont think itll be as big as inland areas but still have up to a tenth or so..

The immediate shoreline is tough...with it still being early in the season it doesn't take much of a easterly component to the wind to bump sfc temps just above freezing. I think they may see some...but probably generally under .10''. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it's possible half an inch happens, I'm just pretty skeptical of it. Nothing wrong with using it as the upper bound though...upper bound should be where if most things go right.

- Accretion efficiency? It can vary quite a bit depending on precip rate, temps, wind, etc...but median is about 0.70.

As an aside, I actually always thought the ice storm warning criteria of half an inch of ice was kind of dumb and arbitrary anyway. Grid problems start ramping up quickly at around a third to 3/8 of an inch I've noticed.

I agree...also 1/2'' of ice isn't very easy to get. We def start getting problems with less...especially if there is accumulating snow involved just prior. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

and fourth when ZR is actually sleet along northern areas of ZR clown maps

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You and Dr Dews should shack up in the Mehiday Inn

Wednesday looks fun. Wish we had some steeper lapse rates involved b/c I would throw the lightning flags around. 

Speaking of lightning...I hope they do some special balloon launches in the south today!!!

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Its a fraud 5 member. 

I was on board the last one as something different than analfrontal ....your not getting me on the arctic front train 

These type of fronts almost always are associated with snow squalls. these are different than polar fronts which are more common. 

11 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

If it was mid-winter I would be complaining there is no place to put the snow...but alas, the rains came...

Tell me about it.  With each melt, I thought perhaps the city could come and get my leaves.  Alas, we end up with 2-day windows of opportunity and then covered again.  Keep 'em buried til spring I say.

As an aside--I just posted a neat/scary/close-call video of yesterday's wind in the obs thread.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

The immediate shoreline is tough...with it still being early in the season it doesn't take much of a easterly component to the wind to bump sfc temps just above freezing. I think they may see some...but probably generally under .10''. 

FOUS shows the surface winds starting at 60 degrees, and backing to 40 through the event.  I don't think the Sound is a big deal here.