• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
12/13 - Stop Collaborate and Listen Event

rowjimmy73

So the CMC still showing good ice, (misnomer) and WWA up for the Nws BLacksburg area, getting my ice melt down and prepping branches down around the yard. What's everyone's take? 

Hoping DPS calls the day tomorrow so I get some wife time

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gem&region=us&pkg=mslp_pcpn_frzn&runtime=2019121200&fh=36

20 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Hug the RGEM! Tree crushing total in NC CAD areas

I'm hoping the RGEM doesn't verify, but it may have a better handle on the temperatures. Just since my last post less than 30 minutes ago the temp has dropped from 38.7 to 35.8. The NWS has the low in my area tonight falling to 32 which is going to bust on the high side as it appears at this time. If the temperatures manage to fall into the mid 20's by the time the precipitation begins, it will likely take them a little longer to rise above freezing than what is currently expected. 

Temp down to 32 with stars. Dewpoint of 15. Temp has ability to drop down to 26 with factoring in wet bulb as we sit. Definitely colder then what was projected for this time. 

Temp just dropped 2 degrees last 5 min now 30/15 pretty crazy the effect the HP is having as it is exiting stage right. 

1 hour ago, McDowell_Weather said:

36/24 along the escarpment mostly clear 

36 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

36/25 here with stars out...

Temps and dewpoints like that ain't going to provide an ice storm.

Things might get a little slushy. But will quickly wash away.  

By the time you wet bulb temps right around 30.

Models "have under done" the dry air.

WAA is surging north. 

2 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Did not expect it to get cold so quickly. Usually we're watching every fraction of a degree til it finally nears freezing around daybreak. Not the case tonight. Already below freezing. 31.8/24 right now.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Agreed. Gentleman that posted right above you is over factoring the WAA. It has been very cold to start the year at least up this way with multiple nights below freezing coupled with a frosty 21 this morning. Combine this with the temp not getting above 39 today and any ice accrual will stick with satisfactory accrual rate. 

30 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Did not expect it to get cold so quickly. Usually we're watching every fraction of a degree til it finally nears freezing around daybreak. Not the case tonight. Already below freezing. 31.8/24 right now.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Was 36 now up to 39.4 with winds from the SE. 

006tNbRwgy1g9utdovd0kj30be05rabb.jpg

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, FLweather said:

Temps and dewpoints like that ain't going to provide an ice storm.

Things might get a little slushy. But will quickly wash away.  

By the time you wet bulb temps right around 30.

Models "have under done" the dry air.

WAA is surging north. 

I live on the eastern slopes literly almost 1800 ft I get ice when 10 mins down the road doesn't but I agree with your statement.

9 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

I’m 14 miles south of Shiloh Airport and I’m at 37.2.  What a difference a few miles makes.  :arrowhead:

You're definitely in a warm spot compared to many areas around you. Looking at Wunderground I can see a couple of stations around Winston Salem/Greensboro that are sitting at 32 degrees or slightly below.