• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 11, 2019 Snowfall OBS only, entire NYC metro area Wednesday morning

wdrag

Obs only thread basis: Model consensus (12z/10 NAM and HRRR now back northwest again) suggesting widespread accumulating snowfall of 1 to possibly 5" for the area, max axis unknown and most of it occurring within 4 hours of sunrise Wednesday as temperatures fall to within 2 or 3 degrees of 30 during the snowfall. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

1.1” on the board for this event. 

I'm catching up! :) 

About 4.5" now, it has been snowing nicely for the last 40 minutes or so and the temp is down a few tenths and is actually at 26 now and with barely a hint of a breeze this top layer is nice and fluffy. Going out to play in the snow (shovel ;) ) in a few minutes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wdrag said:

Thanks for the obs...  I like seeing that 4.5.    had final 1.8 here in Wantage 8s High Point.  2.1   3ene Wantage from another very good observer.

There was probably a little bit of compaction, the lowest layer was .5" of slush. It changed over early to white rain and cooled surfaces so really started sticking at 33-34* . 

Everything was wet when the heavy snow started so it stuck to all surfaces and the whole world is blanketed in white. It's nice.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

There was probably a little bit of compaction, the lowest layer was .5" of slush. It changed over early to white rain and cooled surfaces so really started sticking at 33-34* . 

Everything was wet when the heavy snow started so it stuck to all surfaces and the whole world is blanketed in white. It's nice.

Good deal, you got short changed on the early December storm so nice they way it evens out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Ironically enough, it works both ways. Cant claim a storm busts if i get 3” on the boards and a slushy coating on the streets lol

I'm only half-joking when I say the NWS should authorize the taking of official measurements on car tops in marginal temp events like this morning. That's how the vast majority of people interact with what fell. When Joe the plumber clears 3" off his car, it doesn't matter what some nerds with pieces of white plywood say... he'll tell people he got 3".