• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
12/10-11/19 Potential Valley Wide Snow Event.

John1122

57 minutes ago, Greyhound said:

Several of them are ridiculous. It lists Jacksboro with 1 inch, I've saw a dozen pictures from Jacksboro with tape measures in the snow, it had 2.75-3.00 inches. I'd guess Wartburg had more than 1 inch too.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Blue Ridge said:

My wife, a native of Greeneville, often mentioned the Snow Bubble™ to the point that it became a household joke (hence the trademark symbol :D). Then we decided to move there for a couple of years. Those winters made me believe. Friends in Tusculum and points north and east would do well. Seems like there's at least a 25% difference between downtown and Tusculum during many events. 

Greene County has several microclimates and is an absolutely fascinating study.

I’ve seen that many times. Even just 1-2 miles east or northeast of Greeneville can make a big difference. Especially with marginal temperatures. 

I drove around NE TN a lot for one of my previous jobs. I was always amazed at how well Jonesborough did, often better than any other low elevation areas of NE TN. You're in a good spot.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Blue Ridge said:

I'm always hesitant when the source is "911 call center." Far too vague, IMO, and likely a collection of estimates.

Oddly enough, they included my report in a separate LSR even though I forgot to include my spotter ID. Yet, my previous reports w/ spotter tag this season were summarily ignored. ‾\_(ツ)_/‾

This is why their official snowfall data is so inaccurate. The 911 center isn't even located in Jacksboro and it's surrounded by all pavement. There probably was only an inch on the pavement. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

This is why their official snowfall data is so inaccurate. The 911 center isn't even located in Jacksboro and it's surrounded by all pavement. There probably was only an inch on the pavement. 

See, I always thought that when a report is tagged “911 call center,” it’s a report simply forwarded by dispatch. That it’s a report physically measured at the call center makes so much more sense. 

Unicoi’s 911 center is the same way, I believe, and that explains why reports from there often seem incredibly low.