• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
12/10-11/19 Potential Valley Wide Snow Event.

John1122

Unless your're under yellow, it's mellow.  Under green pixels here and not a flake.  It has been a good run.  Congrats to all that got flakage!  Best of luck going forward to western and middle, you folks deserve a thumping.  Not a bad start to the season here with two measurable snows already, however small they were.

(Canadians are laughing at us but I don't mind lol)  

• Like 6

Unless your're under yellow, it's mellow.  Under green pixels here and not a flake.  It has been a good run.  Congrats to all that got flakage!  Best of luck going forward to western and middle, you folks deserve a thumping.  Not a bad start to the season here with two measurable snows already, however small they were.
2 before Christmas is pretty impressive. This year I have seen more snow from the 2 minor events than I saw total of each year the last 4 years at least.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Yeah our lift has moved out now. I’m a little over 2” so I’m already pushing 5” for the season before Christmas.

• Like 4

All things considering..pretty happy (anytime can get snow in early December is a good time). Even with the delayed precip and melting of several bands..still have around a 1/2" on the ground here. Congrats to everyone who got snow, and hope the Nashville folks get theirs this season (dry slotting was brutal to watch with this one out their way).

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

• Like 4

And as the last band begins to slide out I report 2.3" where I officially measure. Not bad considering I was expecting something in the ballpark of 2". :snowing: 1.9" fell before midnight and as of now 0.4" after. In the grass depending on where more than 3" sits in some spots! Perhaps just enough to pull off some rough sledding tomorrow! :sled:

• Like 1

Got about 1/2-1 near Meghee Tyson Airport. Whole lot of sleet at onset, so guess that cut down some totals. Love to get some reports from the Sequatchie valley, looks plastered! So close Chatt... so close!

Obligatory GEOS East satellite photo. I'll post a high resolution image once Terra/Aqua fly by around 1-2PM

image.thumb.png.38054c535080482d1608cc0284fe2ef6.png

• Like 3

Looks like I had around ~.75" of snow.  Could have been a hair more or less than that.  Tough to tell.  Great to see folks getting in some early season snow.  I though the models handled the precip pattern pretty well.  No model was overly enthused about amounts over NE TN, and indeed, amounts were fairly light IMBY.  Models definitely favored a good thump for those to my west, and indeed, that worked out fairly well.  

I will add that the roads started getting a little icy around 7:30, but better now.  

It was great to see all of the reports and pics.  It was also great to see all of the new folks and forum participation for this.  Another fun event!  

• Like 2

Approximately 1" in north Johnson City.  Glad  some of you guys to our west saw some snow and hope those that got blanked can score a nice one later on this year.  I am happy we have had 3 events to track before Christmas.  We may end up having a not so great winter, but it sure doesn't feel that way at the moment.

• Like 2

Thank you to everyone for reports and pictures. I still can't react, but it lets me post. Reactions serve a valuable purpose, to cut down on clutter posts. Anyway I do have something to share.

Got a thick dusting last night, maybe 1/3 inch but not a half. Here is our result. Daughter and I built this thanks to a 2-hr school delay. Micro-snowman sits on a deck railing. Zoom in for the win!

Snowman_Dec-11-2019.thumb.jpg.34aa8249c31c000696abdd452c32b6ff.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Full Satellite - Very interesting snow hole up in western Hawkins and Hamblen. Almost like Clinch mountain held up some of the cold air intrusion?

Lots of photos... sattlite, colored topo, and zoomed in topo of the snow hole with the spine of clinch mountain highlighted in red. Let me know if my abundance of photos is an issue!

12-11-2019-Aqua.jpg

tennessee-topographic-map.jpg

Clinch.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Blue Ridge said:

1.5" at home in Jboro. The last couple of bands absolutely ripped as they raced the dry air.

Roughly an inch at the office in Greeneville. Not nearly as much on trees/bushes. The Greeneville Snow Bubble™ is no joke. 

From downtown Greeneville to western Greene county can struggle to get much accumulation at times. Areas to the east of Greeneville often do a little better. My obs from last night aren’t far from downtown, but it’s on the eastern side. 

I used to complain about the Greeneville Snow bubble all the time growing up. After working near the Tri-Cities airport for a few years and realizing how much they struggle with NW flow events,  I stopped complaining so much. Greeneville typically does ok with those, but not as good as Jonesborough.  Jonesborough always seems to be a good spot for those events.

Of course, the snow hole really shows up when there is any kind of SE flow across the mountains. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Math/Met said:

From downtown Greeneville to western Greene county can struggle to get much accumulation at times. Areas to the east of Greeneville often do a little better. My obs from last night aren’t far from downtown, but it’s on the eastern side. 

I used to complain about the Greeneville Snow bubble all the time growing up. After working near the Tri-Cities airport for a few years and realizing how much they struggle with NW flow events,  I stopped complaining so much. Greeneville typically does ok with those, but not as good as Jonesborough.  Jonesborough always seems to be a good spot for those events.

Of course, the snow hole really shows up when there is any kind of SE flow across the mountains. 

My wife, a native of Greeneville, often mentioned the Snow Bubble™ to the point that it became a household joke (hence the trademark symbol :D). Then we decided to move there for a couple of years. Those winters made me believe. Friends in Tusculum and points north and east would do well. Seems like there's at least a 25% difference between downtown and Tusculum during many events. 

Greene County has several microclimates and is an absolutely fascinating study.

• Like 1