Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Rain to Snow Event Dec 10-11, 2019

Ralph Wiggum

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Looks like a stripe of c-2" through SE PA for this one is the consensus among guidance. Accums will struggle with the 2 mild days ahead of the system and low precip rates generally.

Timing looks to be mostly in the overnight early AM - so I would not expect much struggle with accumulations with the exception of paved surfaces. Which of course don't matter when it comes to snow accumulations

1 hour ago, SP said:

Another monmouth county special?

Not a major deal.....just the focus. 1-3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most guidance is the c-2" or 3" deal with usual Canadian models ramping up the banding with a stripe of 5-10" over SE PA and NJ. Unfortunately for snow lovers the canadian models are usually not accurate irt snowfall amounts. With that said tho, need to see if the banding shown on those models is consistent among other mesos today. 

36 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

c-2" seems reasonable for most of the area. Though I'd expect most accumulations to be in the coating variety. 

Strongly agree. Best convergence seems to be right over the Del River into NJ so maybe if there is banding it sets up there. Classic cold chasing rain. Unfortunately the cold push looks stronger than originally modeled and may chase the precip out quicker. 

Next week looks interesting on guidance :nerdsmiley:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Currently 52F after a high of 54F. It will be interesting to see how quickly (or slowly) temps drop this evening/later tonight.

So far here, 7 degrees in 3 hours, or 53 to 46. Wonder if it will be consistent enough to get it to 39 a little after 11 pm. If so, I'll get the snow lamp out around 11:30  and have a look around (that is, if I'm awake, lol).

It's been pretty windy here for the last 2 hours also!

Just to be clear, a snow lamp is any light (fixed or mobile) that is bright enough and/or focused enough to allow the discerning (weenie) eye to spot a single small snowflake in the wee hours of the morning. Similarly, this light allows the trained eye to observe snow beginning to mix in with rain at night.

Also works for seeing how hard it is snowing if it's not yet moderate to heavy. 

I also would guess that most everyone in here has some version of a snow lamp.

Wow it went down 2 degrees while I was typing that. 44F here now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43F and wind has picked up a bit. (taking out trash)

Lol at Kamu for his detailed description of a snow lamp. Us old timers take it for granted everyone knows what it is but in reality new folks may have no clue. It's crucial and I would be pissed if the snow lamp burned out just before a big event. I have a backup but it's not as vivid.  

1 minute ago, Birds~69 said:

43F and wind has picked up a bit. (taking out trash)

Lol at Kamu for his detailed description of a snow lamp. Us old timers take it for granted everyone knows what it is but in reality new folks may have no clue. It's crucial and I would be pissed if the snow lamp burned out just before a big event. I have a backup but it's not as vivid.  

That's what I'm talkin about, lol.

38 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Just to be clear, a snow lamp is any light (fixed or mobile) that is bright enough and/or focused enough to allow the discerning (weenie) eye to spot a single small snowflake in the wee hours of the morning. Similarly, this light allows the trained eye to observe snow beginning to mix in with rain at night.

Also works for seeing how hard it is snowing if it's not yet moderate to heavy. 

I also would guess that most everyone in here has some version of a snow lamp.

Wow it went down 2 degrees while I was typing that. 44F here now.

Few things in my younger years brought more fury then checking the snow lamp and seeing nothing but lil meteor streaks, in other words the change to rain had occured