Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 11 Frontal Wave Snow Event

WxUSAF

14 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

As PSU said, it’s pretty clear what the trends are. 

its a pretty standard marginal event. temps will be at or above freezing depending on location. areas under heavier bands should get some stickage, until it lets up and everything melts. strung out wave won't provide much other than snowTV a slushy inch except for those with decent elevation. No one should be hoping for more than that. 

28 minutes ago, mappy said:

its a pretty standard marginal event. temps will be at or above freezing depending on location. areas under heavier bands should get some stickage, until it lets up and everything melts. strung out wave won't provide much other than snowTV a slushy inch except for those with decent elevation. No one should be hoping for more than that. 

HRDPS is the 12z run to hug for us.  Still sticking to what I said, such small variations in several discreet factors will make such a huge impact on this (marginal event as you said) that I won't feel confident in any solution until almost nowcast time.  For now the consensus of a minor event favoring the typical climo areas seems reasonable to me.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

HRDPS is the 12z run to hug for us.  Still sticking to what I said, such small variations in several discreet factors will make such a huge impact on this (marginal event as you said) that I won't feel confident in any solution until almost nowcast time.  For now the consensus of a minor event favoring the typical climo areas seems reasonable to me.  

Agreed. This is one of those where I wake up hoping its snowing, and has already snowed before dawn and stuck. Otherwise, my temps will never get there and I'll white rain most of it. You shouldn't have an issues of course, your extra 300 ft of elevation helps!

Just now, Weather Will said:

What about surface temps for today and tomorrow?  Seem to be lower today than expected and forecasted a notch below for tomorrow as well?  Can!t hurt if that is the case.

Temps are going to be mild tomorrow. I expect lots of "its 60 and its supposed to snow?!?" posts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, H2O said:

But if my ground is cooled by todays rain will it still warm too much by the angle of the heat to melt all my snow?

how many cars will be on the road at the time of snow falling and making contact with the ground? 

1 hour ago, mappy said:

how many cars will be on the road at the time of snow falling and making contact with the ground? 

Personally I hope all of the cars will be making contact with the ground....:P

I think we are both in a good spot to hopefully get an inch or so at minimum, models looking decent to achieve that bar.

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

• Like 1

I don't buy the NAM verbatim (probably too dry), but it does show you how limited the window of opportunity there is for snow. Once that front moves through, dry air will rush in and shut off the precip pretty quickly from west to east. 

At this point, I think T-1 is a solid call for I-95 south and east. 1-3 possible in the climo favored areas with isolated higher depending on how strong the rates are.

35 minutes ago, Ji said:
43 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:
The 3K is even worse....man, the NAMs not wet? What is the world coming to

Nams are usually dry...they are only super wet with big storms/coastals

Yeah, they also have a tendency to have a few dry runs followed by a few wet runs before game time or vice versa. Seen it so many times. 

Edit: RGEM coming in dryer. 

1 hour ago, MountainGeek said:

Personally I hope all of the cars will be making contact with the ground....:P

I think we are both in a good spot to hopefully get an inch or so at minimum, models looking decent to achieve that bar.

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

Ha, yes! Just a little inside joke. A couple years ago some poster said they wished snow wasn’t happening on the weekend because too many cars = warm ground. Was funny 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic